Any info please!

Does any body have any experience of doing landfill work using ejector trailers ?
Pros and cons please ( except the obvious ) are the hours quite regular etc any help appreciated , been offered a start that sounds good if everything they are saying is true , but I have no knowledge of the waste industry at all.
Cheers

I done it for a day horrible job would never do it again.

I doubt its a help but it was well paid at the time but not a job I would ever consider doing again.

Use to stand in as bulker driver when the regular drivers were on sick/holiday at a skip firm i was at.a few tips (excuse the pun) :smiley: make sure your diffs/cross locks are in as soon as you leave weighbridge summer or winter,if its wet expect to get stuck before you can say WTF,when you have lost traction depending on the site rules usually put hazards on wait in cab for machine driver,if its bad he will back up to you, pull you up the haulroad on to the tip in a circle so your arse end is facing tipping area,then get to the back of you and pull you backwards when he stops this is where you tip,and dont think he will be unwrapping the heavy chain or strop off the back of the dozer, IT will be you,if your lucky the waste being ejected and gently easing forward will get you off the face without assistance from the dozer,if you hear a loud blast of a horn or the machine driver jumping up and down, your driving off with a large chunk of waste hanging out :frowning: check before you go too far,also remember to fold the nets over before you open the back door,or bent net supports will occur,keep windows shut in the summer it will be a dust bowl,carnt think of much more,oh debris/wire/matrasses getting wrapped around the prop if this is not spotted quick it will cause damage to pto, air lines ect and is a ballache to remove ,bits of steel poking out the ground ideal for puncturing fuel/air tanks/tyres and ripping off airlines,its a bit of a marmite job,love or hate it,hope this gives you a bit of insight into it,AND remember to check in between the drive wheels for wedged brickends especially if they have laid a new bit of haulroad or you will have cricket ball sized holes in your plastic mudguards within a few hundred metres of leaving the site :angry:

Hours wise most tips are open roughley 7:30am till 4:30pm. Most companies seem to stick with it just on days, Bulk Freight have tramper guys on it.

We have guys at my place that seem to be happy enough doing it, i don’t mind an odd day but even then they normally route me for the incinerators and other places which are easy places with no off roading. You will have a bit of load interaction normally finding something on the floor to push off any waste hanging off your ■■■ end.

Some units have spray suppressors/mud flaps that can be lifted up normally just a chain to secure them up in the end before you remove them when reversing on the landfill and sink.

Also, close you nets again after tipping the waste or you will drive down the road after with pages of magazines etc blowing out the trailer.

Have a pack of wet wipes in the cab and wipe your hands throughout the day or you will pick something up and have the squirts etc :open_mouth:

Smell is terrible first week. Second week you don’t notice it anymore and only the wife tells you you stink.

Did a few weeks of it 20 odd years ago in Swansea. The flies on the tip were horrendous. And we had to be carefully not to run the scavengers over. I kid you not, there were people going through the rubbish, looking for scraps to sell… :unamused:

Get down your doctors ASAP and get ya heps done, full tetanus, ANY JAB YOU CAN GET DO IT LOL… buy some disposable gloves to put on UNDER some proper work gloves, I’d have some clear eye protection and plenty of decent grade dust masks…not those ■■■■■ white ones, get the ones with the filters on.

Carry a ■■■■ load of alcohol wipes/gel, don’t even consider eating till your hands are clean, and be sure your eyes are open CONSTANTLY as broken glass, needles…will be foooooking everywhere and will penetrate like bullets through butter…so be sure a DECENT first aid kits in truck, an if you get cut force it too bleed out immediately!!

I’ve been in an out of transfer stations working as a loader on bins, truely amazing what people will toss in the rubbish and the human body is a sponge, germs will enter by any cut, through the nose, eyes…don’t underestimate it fella!!

The smell, well you will get used to it, the flies in the other hand… :laughing: