Any info on volvo fh royal class version 1

as in the title, any one know what the deference is? got a mate going to estonia to look at one thats for sale but i have never heard of a royal class so any info please

swiller:
as in the title, any one know what the deference is? got a mate going to estonia to look at one thats for sale but i have never heard of a royal class so any info please

volvotrucks.com/trucks/belgi … class.aspx

I googled it !

I think i may have one in glos

This even !

That’s the one! I could be wrong, but I think the interior trim was called “Seaspray” or something like that. I had one that had a really nice interior with half leather seats and other goodies, but wasn’t the CD version, could it have been one of those? It was an 01 Plate if that helps.

There was an XL70 6X2 380bhp for sale in Poland the other week, it was the first 6x2 i’d ever seen

Well its in my yard in glos if ya want to look, i havent really looked at it like that, it has a xl cab which i was surprised at for the year and it also has a cd trim
Type of electic gauge effort, digital type thing, which isnt really my cup of tea.this one is a lhd so not sure if they did them
For the uk market?

richmond:
Well its in my yard in glos if ya want to look, i havent really looked at it like that, it has a xl cab which i was surprised at for the year and it also has a cd trim
Type of electic gauge effort, digital type thing, which isnt really my cup of tea.this one is a lhd so not sure if they did them
For the uk market?

Any chance of some pics? Especially interior ones :slight_smile:

What year is your truck Richmond and why do you think its early for an XL?.

From memory I think the first XL cabs were introduced in around 1997. They were released as part of the cab update that brought in the flatter floor. The CD trim was also changed at that time making the all leather electric seats an option rather than standard. The materials used for the curtains and cab trimmings also changed at this time on the CD although the lower level trim remained the same until a further update in around 1999 when the white indicator lenses can in.

I do remember seeing the last of the F cab Globetrotters with both “business class” and “royal class” along the doors although from memory I think this was mostly on foreign motors.

I would guess that on the later FH the “royal class” trim package was something offered in other European countries but not here in the UK. It is probably a special with different material and some goodies such as a fridge thrown in.

The XL70 was a strange beast as far as the UK goes. A few made it into this country at through Duffields the Volvo UK dealers but was only available in LHD and as far as I know 4x2. I’ve never seen a 6x2 version.

Cheers
Neilf

I’ve just looked at your photo again Richmond. Your truck has the white indicators, which I admit could have been retro fitted, which would date it at post 99. A good couple of years after the XL cabs first appeared.

Cheers
Neilf

The marker lights on the roof of the latter FH were at more of an angle to the ones in the above pic, so the pic is definatly an older 1st version.
This is a pic of the passenger side in one of the FH’s i drove when working for a company from Sweden, i dont remember 100% if it was a Royal Class or a CD trim (thou im pretty sure it was a CD trim), it was a cracking motor, and would leave English reg 460’s for dead, althou it was only a 380.

That’s like my old one except I seem to remember the velour material being a solid blue. Could be wrong though, it was years ago.

Will have a look at interior at the weekend , but it needs a valet now as we have been using it as the yard shunter for 6 months now, i also noticed that the interior locker arrangment was didferant and had a quilted type gearbox tunnel covering ? Think its a 96 but cant remember i got it from holland, who got it from a pole , who bought it from an italian.

Kindle530

That interior shot is the slightly later CD trim that was introduced at the same time as the flat floor, here in the UK at least. The earlier CD trim was all blue and the seats were electrically operated with more leather. As for the later roof markers being wider apart they definitely were on the globetrotter but I’m not sure about the XL.

Richmond

In UK spec the original, pre flat floor, globetrotter had some computer gizmo as part if the CD trim. It sat on one side of the main dials and replaced the fuel/air/temp/boost gauges. Our R reg trucks had a thing called road relay in which was like a fancy trip computer. This was in a DIN sized box that sat in the slot below the radio.

The early XL didn’t have the 3 lockers above the radio slots. If an illuminated headboard was fitted it has a blank trim panel and if not a full width shelf complete with wine rack. There was 2 small black lockers above the passenger seat. At the rear of the cab above the top bunk were 3 lockers with black doors. These weren’t fitted to a standard globetrotter. As for the quilted bonnet cover I would guess its an aftermarket item these were readily available in Italy in the late 90s.

Cheers
Neilf

The quilted engine cover probably came from Campogalliano.

A firm I worked at had an L reg FH Globetrotter, it was CD trim and had the computer thing in one of the panels that housed gauges in the C trim.

My one didn’t have the computer thingy or electrically operated seats and wasn’t an XL. Did have all the other bits though. I’m confused!

Only the very early, pre flat floor, CD trims had electric seats and the computer thingy. You could spec electric seats in the post 97 trucks but they were full leather in blue and dark red.

If yours had the same trim as Kindle530’s photo it should have had a flat floor and was part if the first update to the FH. I pretty sure the CD trim stayed this way until the end of the MK1 FH although the lower trim levels changed to that horrible greeny colour.

I had two MK1 FH XLs on a 97 and 99 plate. The only difference from what I can remember was the 99 had the white indicator lenses, a trip computer fitted to the spot where the lower 2 gauges were in earlier trucks, a slightly different shape of gear lever and handbrake.

The trim levels were offered on all 3 cab heights.

Cheers
Neilf

neilf, the interior shot of my Swedish motor it was, if i remember a 2000 model. The 3 lockers above the bed in my opinion were only fitted in XL models. The full leather and red and dark blue seats as far as i know (from Globetrotters ive driven) were only fitted in the XL.

These pictures are from Danish registered motors. All pics apart from 1st one are from same motor.

fh777.jpg
you can just see the digital display above the window wiper stalk, this was ok in the motors i drove that had them, but they werent very bright, on a trip to Spain and Portugal it was hard to read.(the ones i had that had this were 1996 model onward)

Another CD trim, but with dials, not the digital display.

You can see this one has the electric drivers seat.

i would swap my 61 reg XL with i-shift for one of these at the drop of a hat!

Those pics bring back memories. Mostly of a noisy gearstick :grimacing:

neilf:
Only the very early, pre flat floor, CD trims had electric seats and the computer thingy. You could spec electric seats in the post 97 trucks but they were full leather in blue and dark red.

If yours had the same trim as Kindle530’s photo it should have had a flat floor and was part if the first update to the FH. I pretty sure the CD trim stayed this way until the end of the MK1 FH although the lower trim levels changed to that horrible greeny colour.

I had two MK1 FH XLs on a 97 and 99 plate. The only difference from what I can remember was the 99 had the white indicator lenses, a trip computer fitted to the spot where the lower 2 gauges were in earlier trucks, a slightly different shape of gear lever and handbrake.

The trim levels were offered on all 3 cab heights.

Cheers
Neilf

Yes, all you said sounds right. Mine was 01 and had white indicators and a flat floor. I got it after having a low cab horrible greeny one, felt like a proper international driver then! :smiley: