Any Info On Milk Tanker Work

What an interesting thread. Many thanks to all posters who have given other members here (myself and I’m sure many others) such an informative insight into this industry.

This used to be a great job but I am going back to the days of the MMB. There was nothing better than going around all the local farms with a four wheeler and collecting the milk before tipping at one of the dairys. Nowadays though with farming up the wall, the four wheelers have long since departed and you have to take filty great artics up farm tracks where they were not designed to go. Still a good job though but like most things, it’s changed and in my opinion, not for the better.

The days of the farmers wife making the driver a cup of tea are long gone too.
With trackers in the lorry the planner would be asking what is taking so long.

toby1234abc:

bloody ell tobester, how long does it take you to drink a brew? :laughing: :laughing: or was it a euphemism? :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I have got an interview and a driving assessment on Friday.
Watch this space.
And thanks again for all your advice and sharing your experience.
I’ve jad a laugh reading it.

stevieboy308:

toby1234abc:

bloody ell tobester, how long does it take you to drink a brew? :laughing: :laughing: or was it a euphemism? :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Either way - shouldn’t take long!!

Well the interview and driving assessment went without a hitch.
Whether it’s standard in the milk industry or not who knows but the attitude and atmosphere was very chilled out and relaxed.
The depot were very friendly and said the job is like Marmite.
I’ll either love it or hate it.
It’s something I think I’ll like.
Some of the tales they were telling me about. I could have sat there for ages listening to them.
Now the wait for the letter or phone call begins.
Fingers crossed.

One thing to remember its a 365 days a year job on farms the Daisy and the girls don’t get Xmas off :smiley:

Ronnie W:
One thing to remember its a 365 days a year job on farms the Daisy and the girls don’t get Xmas off :smiley:

I was working on a farm when I got married (magistrates thought I’d be better off without my licence for a while) and the night before the big day, the boss told me that, since I was getting wed, I could have the rest of the day off, after I’d finished milking.

A kicking cow in a milking parlour can break your bones or knock you out.Getting kicked in the goolies is no laughing matter.
Cows can get easily distressed.
They like music to listen to music while being milked.
The butter fat levels go up with happy cows.
Young heifers are like teenagers.Moody and unpredictable.
If you see a herd escaped on a motorway or road,look the the pack leader cow,if you can guide the leader the rest will follow.

Do not apply for this job if the smell of dung upsets you or you don’t like rustic characters or are frightened of animals (cows, dogs and farmer’s wives). :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: this is so in addition cow ■■■■ stinks as well and if you dont mind chasing cows down lanes then go for it :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Steve66:
Thankyou for your replies.
I appreciate everyone who took the time to share their knowledge and experience.
I have found out that it is Class One work for Wincanton.
Not sure if it’s farms, depots or indeed both.
I have to say going to a farm in the dark sounds a little daunting.
I suppose it’s something you get used to.
Thanks again for your relies and advice.
Will keep you posted.

depending on which depot you run out of it will be a mixture of liner work and farm collections…be aware tho that you could well be delayed at a dairy for 3-4 hours on occassions…good luck… but its not a job for everyone…

…a milk tanker has priority over everything!
[/quote]
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: Never a truer word written :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Steve66:
Well the interview and driving assessment went without a hitch.
Whether it’s standard in the milk industry or not who knows but the attitude and atmosphere was very chilled out and relaxed.
The depot were very friendly and said the job is like Marmite.
I’ll either love it or hate it.
It’s something I think I’ll like.
Some of the tales they were telling me about. I could have sat there for ages listening to them.
Now the wait for the letter or phone call begins.
Fingers crossed.

Would agree with this. You get some drivers who just love driving for hours and hours on end and you get the other type of drivers who hates going out of a radius. I liked the whole relaxed atmosphere and talking to some of the farmers…it was a relaxed way of life back then but what is is like now, I would not like to say…hope it has not changed though.

A few comments on being delayed at a dairy for a few hours.
Fair enough I’m sure it goes with the job.
I’ve had my fair share of delays by tin pot dictators at many RDCs spending close to half a day at some of them.
Cow poop isn’t an issue.
I worked jetting out chemical toilets and believe me some of those were grim.

Second interview Wednesday 11th of December.
I have been doing some homework and I think it’s something I’d enjoy doing.
One thing I didn’t ask but shall do on Wednesday is if the route you do is regular or is changed on a daily basis.
At the moment I go all over the shop and my current boss hates us getting too familiar to any run or to any customer.
Strange.
The amount of wasted time and diesel because a driver hasn’t a clue where any of his drops are.
Money to burn obviously.

I go all over the shop and my current boss hates us getting too familiar to any run or to any customer. Strange.

The amount of wasted time and diesel because a driver hasn’t a clue where any of his drops are.
Money to burn obviously.
[/quote]
Word!!

Steve66:
Second interview Wednesday 11th of December.
I have been doing some homework and I think it’s something I’d enjoy doing.
One thing I didn’t ask but shall do on Wednesday is if the route you do is regular or is changed on a daily basis.
At the moment I go all over the shop and my current boss hates us getting too familiar to any run or to any customer.
Strange.
Money to burn obviously.

Back in the day, the seemed to like to make sure each driver knew a handful of routes in addition to their main route so there was full cover. Makes sense really and like you say, I am sure that it helps to cut down fuel consumption etc.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.
I do appreciate it.
One thing I must ask.
Are you under pressure when working on the milk?
Are the runs well planned and can be comfortably done?
My current job is a joke.
I go out with a full load every day, often poorly loaded and the route■■?
Stevie Wonder could plan them better.
When it comes to nearly running out of hours, we are expected to take a second unpaid break and face disciplinary if we take stuff back.
They just look at what the computer tells them and that’s it.
Traffic, unloading, breaks and getting lost doesn’t come into it.

I can’t really answer that with any degree of accuracy Steve, because it’s decades since I worked on a dairy farm.

In the days of MMB it was a matter of drive from farm to farm as fast as you could because the farmers and dairymen liked a chat.