ANY help for a newbie, thanks

hey guys first i want to start with a big thank you to everyone on this site there seems to be a very strong community with which i will be very proud to be a part of, that said I’m currently taking my category C license (class 2) for the old boys :wink: Ive passed my theory and will be starting my training Saturday 4 days training with my test on Thursday i was lay-ed off from my job last Friday so as soon as Ive passed i will be looking for work in this field so I’m trying to gain as much knowledge as possible so when i go to potential employers i sound like know what I’m babbling on about I’m only 21 with a small amout of driving experience ( i drove a van for a previous company just collecting parts but no tacho was needed.)

I understand its going to be hard to get a employer to take me on so I’m going to be looking for a agency just to try and gain experience as Ive been told this is the best thing to do ■■ Ive got a clean licence so I’m hoping that will work in my favour but i would much appreciate any advice that can be given… being in control of my own hours is my biggest worry having no experience with tachos i know the driving hours under EC rules ie 90 hour a fortnight or 56 hours per week driving time and 9 hours daily extended to 10 hours twice a week 11 hours rest reduced to 9 hours 3 times per week and a weekly rest of 45 hour and a 45min break every 4.5 hours driving which can be split 15/30 please correct me if I’m wrong… so if anyone could give me some tips or any advise on anything to do with being a driver, the test things or things to ask my instructor, getting my first job when Ive passed, Anything it would be very much appreciated thanks very much…
Sam (wannabe trucker) lol

hey sam, im davy, dave, what ever ya want da call me :laughing: , welcome to the forum mate, sry to hear you got laid of your last job, passed my class 2 back in feb so still new to all myself, when your doing your training just listening to your trainer, if your not sure of anything just ask again, and take your time, dont rush, and ALWAYS check your mirriors every couple of sec,s, thats what the examiner will be looking for also,remember your in control of much bigger vechicle than a car,and try not hit kerb with back wheel on test, its a fail, and enjoy it, hope this has helped abit, we are all here for help, we,ve all bein there, good luck with training! dave :wink:

Welcome :slight_smile:

Good luck with the training.

Welcome!

It’s 90 hours driving time a fortnight, or 56 hours a week if the 2nd week doesn’t exceed 34 hours.

WelcomeSam

when you first start off looking for a trainer please stay away from the brokers if you cant visit the premises and view the vehs PUT THE PHONE DOWN !!!

Go and see a few trainers in your area first and mabe have an assesment drive to get the feel for the larger vehs , make sure you are going to feel comfortable with the guy who is training you to as it will make a hell of a difference when learning :wink:

A good company will be able to ge you through all the modules to get you on the road have a look on reccomended trainers on this site a very good stating point ,

research is the best thing you will do before parting with any money so ge that bit done and you will find it a much easier ride :wink:

All the best and good luck , and dont forget if you have a question ask us , someone on here will have the answer for you ,

jx

Hi samstone90, & welcome:-), as Jennie says , It’s best keep away from brokers. I travelled quite a distance to a good reputable trainer earlier this year for cat C to which I passed , & decided to go travel up country again to Peter Smythe’s for my recent C+E pass :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I’m still going around grinning like a cheshire cat,lol :slight_smile:) :slight_smile:) :slight_smile:) It was well worth the travel to Mansfield to get excellent training , & a clean C+E pass first time( with No minors):-):slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Your age may be a pitfall looking for a job, because insurance will be high.
Watch your blind spot, know your highway code, road signs, even though you’ve passed the theory. Listen to your trainer, if you didn’t understand anything ask, Good luck with your training, hope all goes well for you :slight_smile:

Welcome to the mad house

Can you please put paragraph in for us old buggers :laughing:

Would help if we knew where you lived as to be able to help with training providers & where to look for work :bulb:

Hey folks I’m back… Just to answer a few of your questions I’m from kidderminster but just moved to Dudley (west midlands) i went with a very well known training centre called Top Gear Lgv training, and i took my test in featherstone Wolverhampton which i failed it was my first go, :cry: it was my own fault i missed a weight restriction sign on my independent drive and i had to be told to turn :blush: :blush: apart from that though i only had 4 minors and the examiner said ill pass this easy if i just keep it together on the day i let my nerves get the better of me big mistake but i was told i don’t need any more training so I’m going straight back in for a retest hopefully Saturday 20Th October so keeping my fingers crossed thanks for all the advise folks its invaluable to me :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry to hear that

samstone90:
it was my own fault i missed a weight restriction sign on my independent drive

That’s unfortunate, normally the training school knows about these and pre warns you.

hey folks just back to say i passed my test 3 weeks ago sorry for the delay havnt had the internet but just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that took the time to reply and give me advice thank you so much its helped so much just my module 2 case studies and module 4 demo to go now and im on the road :slight_smile:

Well done, keep it up!

Congratulations on your pass :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Good Luck with your ‘mods’ :smiley:

animal:
Can you please put paragraph in for us old buggers :laughing:

I was thinking that too!! :wink:

samstone90:
… 11 hours rest reduced to 9 hours 3 times per week … please correct me if I’m wrong…

Hi samstone90,

Before somebody else spots it, I’ll explain that it’s three times between weekly rest periods, which isn’t quite the same as three times per week.

:bulb: Depending on your shift pattern, imagine having a reduced weekly rest but taking it midweek, you’d then fit 6 X reduced rests in a week.