Any help 52 plate fh12 500

im going to look at an 52 plate fh12 500 globetrotter with just over 800000km on the clock tomorrow but have never had much to do with one as iv always been a daf or scania man before, can any one tell me what they are like, on fuel etc and what to look out for on a fh?
cheers swiller

Not the best of fuel, that i do no

globby 480:
Not the best of fuel, that i do no

i thought that but a mate of a mates got one and he says hes getting 8.5 at 44 ton :open_mouth: and im only going to be running at 28 ton :unamused:
think i saw you monday on the m18 passing thorne, trucks looks very nice

yus mate it prob been silly old me on that road yet again :cry: :cry:

If you are new to volvo the older 500’s are about the worst you could buy the 12 litre 500 engine in a 52 reg can be v costly to repair in regards to the turbo compound unit as there wernt that many made (unlike the 420/460 engine) and i can confirm the parts for this can be hard to come by also some had the first model of i shift which was prone to bearing problems at the propshaft flange as some of these models had retarders rather than the engine brake veb (the retarders had to much power for the older i shift box the first clue will be a faulty taco sender as the end will have warn off)
as for power no probs they go well and as for fuel i hear good and bad reports!
lomas at buxton used to run quite a few 500’s at one time but in general they gave more problems than the 460 engine
I know where there are some for sale now but i would go for the 460 and have it tweaked if you need a bit more go a turbo for a 460 will cost iro £550 a turbo compound unit for a 500 will cost iro £2550+ if you can get one!
best of luck moose

the early 500s in the mark 2 where and are still a troublesome yoke as you dont see many on the road

turbo troubles and cracked manifolds most have usually had a new engine dew to turbo failing

Sounds like an export motor to me :slight_smile: