Any free air actually capable of pumping up a truck tyre?

I guess for the really big boys this is of less concern, as hopefully decent fitters will take care of it for you. But for those at smaller companies using smaller trucks…

First moan, why do you have to pay to use about 80% of air lines on garage forecourts. It is obscene.

Second moan, why are they seemingly incapable of inflating beyond 40psi. All the ones i’ve tried to use have simply succeeded in letting air out.

If there is such an emphasis on keeping tyres in good order why are the facilities so pathetic, not every company particularly small ones like ours has access to a compressor on site. The best we can hope for is to collar the farmer in his John Deere if he happens to be passing and tap his air line.

The point perhaps is, does anyone know of any decent airlines in the Berkshire area?

Why not make up an airline that you can carry with you.
Then you can pump up your tyres from your trucks air tanks anywhere.

Just a suggestion but why not buy one of those inflator hoses,ebay is a good source & it will allow u to inflate your tyres off another vehicle assuming you have more than 1 truck,some one posed a similar question on here within the last month,hope this helps!!

Next time you go in a garage/MSA have a look at the airlines,how many people do you see hanging them up after use ,left lying on the ground they get run over and lots get stolen,and at £100 plus not cheap,my Brother in law owned a small local garage,he’s got new ones which at times only lasted a week.
Thers often two sides to every problem.
regrads derek

MERCEDES do a airline which uses the
trucks connections, this fits all EU norm
trucks air systems (brake),so should
most of the other truck manufactures
do this type of extra , it justs costs a little more,

yep they do, i got one with my actros

chaversdad:

Where do you plug it into the truck (just to save me getting the manual out!)?

I made one up, from a yellow air-line and connector, with a tyre inflater fitted on the end.

The tyre inflater I fitted came from a kit of air tools and is only intended for car pressures, but I just keep going till no more air will come through which is usually at about 8 bar. Not quite enough pressure really, but enough to get somewhere with a working air line and I can always top it up if I need to.

i use one ove ‘‘made up’’ so ive not a prob ,just for info,the new services on the m20 at sellinge turnoff have free air on the hgv pumps and very good it is to :slight_smile:

bernie

I picked up a puncture riding down to Italy just north of Lyon the other day (1340miles in 19hrs!). No air at services but asked around the weekended drivers and a (BIG!) Hungarian driver found his airline supplied new with his FH. I was plugged and pumped in 20 mins. :confused:
Most of the European drivers I asked didn’t carry one so I was extremely grateful for the use of his (brand new) line.

gardun:

chaversdad:

Where do you plug it into the truck (just to save me getting the manual out!)?

There is a plug next to one of the air tanks. Which one depends on the model you have, but look at the rear of the truck first. It will usually have a cover on that looks like a round plug with wings.

Thanks Limestone… I’ll have a look - could be usefull!

there are connections for checking the brake system
which is exactly the same size as the connection for
the air line both on the LORRY and TRAILER;TANK

You could get one of these and carry it in your bag along with your pallet truck, spare suzies and training certificates.

Or you could just keep an eye out for Jimboy 124 :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest. Im just a cheeky bugger and will drive into a tyre dealers forecourt and ask if I can borrow an airline.

Airpikey:
I picked up a puncture riding down to Italy just north of Lyon the other day (1340miles in 19hrs!). No air at services but asked around the weekended drivers and a (BIG!) Hungarian driver found his airline supplied new with his FH. I was plugged and pumped in 20 mins.

Get yourself 1 of these basic kits motopumps.com/

I did, its small enough to carry it in the pannier

Airpikey:
I picked up a puncture riding down to Italy just north of Lyon the other day (1340miles in 19hrs!). No air at services but asked around the weekended drivers and a (BIG!) Hungarian driver found his airline supplied new with his FH. I was plugged and pumped in 20 mins. :confused:
Most of the European drivers I asked didn’t carry one so I was extremely grateful for the use of his (brand new) line.

Yet another demonstration of why us drivers should stick together and help each other out.

Nice bit of international co-operation there Airpikey :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Volvos used to come with one, there was a conection just by the broms brake on the old FL, I chucked loads out over the years.

toowise:

Airpikey:

Yet another demonstration of why us drivers should stick together and help each other out.

Nice bit of international co-operation there Airpikey :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I emailed Waberer’s to say thanks, as the guys wouldn’t take beer tokens, and offered any help if ever one of their trucks was in the Dorset area and needed help with directions, addresses, etc.
No reply as yet.

Simon:
I made one up, from a yellow air-line and connector, with a tyre inflater fitted on the end.

The tyre inflater I fitted came from a kit of air tools and is only intended for car pressures, but I just keep going till no more air will come through which is usually at about 8 bar. Not quite enough pressure really, but enough to get somewhere with a working air line and I can always top it up if I need to.

The old fashioned way with petrol engines was to convert a spark plug. smash the porcelain, braze a bit of pipe on and shove a rubber tube on the end, then screw it into your car engine and you have a mobile compressor :smiley: It also fills your tyre with an explosive mixture of air and fuel :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
You could get one of these and carry it in your bag along with your pallet truck, spare suzies and training certificates.

i can get a supersingle inflated to 120PSI with one of these running from the trucks air supply test point.

highly recommendable