Any comments ?

I found this & thought it might produce more comment if I posted it here rather than onthe news forum.

TRUCKER Jenny Wyrill is driving home the message that women are better behind the wheel than men - and she has a 44 tonne vehicle and 31 years of experience to prove it.

Jenny, 54, of Heworth, has rubbished recent German research which showed that women’s spatial skills, such as parking and map reading, could be deficient because they were exposed to too little testosterone in the womb.

She contacted the Evening Press after two of our reporters tested the claims about spatial awareness among women.

The mother-of-three girls, who she claims are all good car drivers, said she had to parallel park her articulated lorry every day as part of her job with Millfield Haulage in Millfield Lane, Nether Poppleton.

Although she had seen less than a dozen other female truckers in all her time on the road, and she is the only female driver at her company, she said there was no reason why more women could not get behind the wheel of a lorry.

Jenny said: "My father bought a business and I decided to learn to drive to help him out and it went from there. I went to work for other people and I did continental driving. It’s one of those jobs that if you don’t like it you can’t do it.

"Some people don’t like it because of the traffic and the motorways and the odd male driver who is not that nice.

“But I like it because I get out and about. I see different places, do different things every day. But it is long hours.” Jenny said she had never had any problem parking her car or her lorry.

She said: "From my point of view I have to be better than the men because they will stand there and say `typical woman driver’ if I’m not, whereas I’ve watched men try and reverse into a space they will never make it into.

“I don’t get much stick because I can prove that I can do it. Also, I’m not particularly big but I have to drag the load to the back of the vehicle to unload it, so I think I’m reasonably strong. You have to prove you can do the job yourself.”

James Chambers, operations manager at Millfield Haulage, said more and more women were getting into the business, particularly after they leave the Army. He said: “Jenny can do anything the men can do, she’s fully capable.”

York has another Jenny who is able to get behind the wheel of a truck.

Jenny Horsley, 23, who is promotions and publicity manager for York & County Press, gained her HGV licence two years ago when she was one of the youngest women in the country to achieve the qualification.

It fulfilled a lifelong ambition, nurtured by her father, Trevor ,and his Newton-on-Derwent haulage firm.

Jenny, who lives in Pocklington, said she still helps her father out at weekends and still enjoys driving trucks.

She said: “I’m getting more confident and feeling like one of the boys. Some people do look twice when they see me at traffic lights and you can see they think `God it’s a woman driving that thing next to me’.”

thisisyork.co.uk/york/news/Y … OCAL9.html

there are always exceptions to the rule :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Not everyone can drive, although a very high percentage of women cant compared to men.

if you hear constant moaning on your cb, you now know who it is :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

daxi:

Although she had seen less than a dozen other female truckers in all her time on the road, and she is the only female driver at her company,

Less than a dozen in 31 years? She can’t have been looking very hard, We have about that many as members on here, if not more. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

what can you say . if there good or bad !!!
anyone can be good or bad tbh , i tend to see some very poor hgv driving now and again and that is all blokes with there heads up there rear quarters …
but thats not saying there isnt bad women hgv drivers out and about , theres just less of them …
confidence says a lot …
i could say the a vast majority of the drivers at my place lack confidence when it comes to the drawbar :laughing: they all run scared :laughing:

paul@midway:
what can you say . if there good or bad !!!
anyone can be good or bad tbh , i tend to see some very poor hgv driving now and again and that is all blokes with there heads up there rear quarters …
but thats not saying there isnt bad women hgv drivers out and about , theres just less of them …
confidence says a lot …
i could say the a vast majority of the drivers at my place lack confidence when it comes to the drawbar :laughing: they all run scared :laughing:

Ahhhhh, the good old A-frame drawbar!!! Guaranteed to sort the men out from the boys lolol. I had been driving them for 3 months before I got the hang of reversing them. One day, a little old boy wandered up to me and asked if he could offer me some advice. Never one to ignore advice, I listened to him, practised what he said and away I went. I would rather drive an A-frame than an artic any day. I used to love reversing them once I had been told properly how to do it.
On the original post… I love seeing lady truckers… brings a bit of glamour to the job (unless she is a real beastie) and fair do’s to them. It takes a lot of balls for a woman to get involved in this industry

Why are you all giving a pat on the back to the women…they will never be as good as the male variety…and shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a truck…let alone in one…they were put on this earth to have kids and cook the dinner for when the other half arrives home…not forgetting the housework…
and as for road trains…been there …done that…in a proper road train…2 pivot points…one on the dolly…one on the bell… and could reverse it anywhere…including the felixstowe to the hook of holland ferry…and in one hit…and i never saw a woman do that…although i did meet a couple of aussie birds on the road driving artics to turkey…
Oh one more thing…Ive got my tin hat on..and my ear muffs too.. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: so if iv succeeded in winding up a few…good…but i still love em…even if they cannot drive…to save their lifes… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
have a nice day

daxi:
Jenny Horsley, 23, who is promotions and publicity manager for York & County Press,… still helps her father out at weekends and still enjoys driving trucks.

Last I knew, those who worked at Yorkshire Evening Press did at least five day weeks. Then she works for her Dad at the weekends??!!

I hope she remembers to keep note of all those hours of ‘other work’ and of course, wouldn’t dream of working over her hours!! :laughing:

paul@midway:

ever driven a wagon and drag with an A frame? sounds like your drivers should think themselves lucky :laughing:

She has definitely not been looking too hard. There are at least 3 of us in selby. :unamused: I wont qualify Truckyboys comments by biting but needless to say i am confident that i can handle my fully laden 44tonner in places most other drivers wouldnt try to get in to :sunglasses:

Let me be the first to say that without a doubt women are definately safer drivers than men, i,m not saying they are better but definatley safer.

jammymutt:
Let me be the first to say that without a doubt women are definately safer drivers than men, i,m not saying they are better but definatley safer.

slower is not safer!!! :laughing:

Why are you all giving a pat on the back to the women…they will never be as good as the male variety…and shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a truck…let alone in one…they were put on this earth to have kids and cook the dinner for when the other half arrives home…not forgetting the housework…
and as for road trains…been there …done that…in a proper road train…2 pivot points…one on the dolly…one on the bell… and could reverse it anywhere…including the felixstowe to the hook of holland ferry…and in one hit…and i never saw a woman do that…although i did meet a couple of aussie birds on the road driving artics to turkey…
Oh one more thing…Ive got my tin hat on..and my ear muffs too.. so if iv succeeded in winding up a few…good…but i still love em…even if they cannot drive…to save their lifes…

ho hum nice knowing you trucky wouldnt like to be in your shoes when lt reads this :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Robert…deleted your post by mistake… :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: …can do nothing but apologise… :blush: :blush: :blush: …see signature below… :blush: :blush: :blush:

Can you stick it up again? :grimacing:

The Women truck drivers I’ve met tend to be very good at thier job, I think they have to be to make it in this industry.
However it’s funny that we get research that shows that Women have evolved better Communication and Multi tasking skills (they say that it was women who invented speach to communicate with others round the enclosures, men were hunters and only needed to grunt and point, some of us haven’t got much further :laughing: ) it has to be accepted as the truth. But when some research shows that men have evolved better spacial awareness (needed for hunting on the plains when we came out of the trees) and there are more than one study to show this, it’s always treated as a bad sience and the media rush out to find women who show they have these skills, they never rush out to find the men who multi task or have excellent communication skills.
Remember this is on average, there will always we women with better spacial awareness than some blokes and some blokes who can multi task and have excellent communication skills.
The same goes with advertising, how many adverts show thick man with problem but don’t worry clever woman saves the day. Maybe the reason they do this is that women are more likely to believe the hype :laughing:

I have just watched that programme about Chimps and Apes in the Congo

We are all evolved from them, :stuck_out_tongue: some more than most!

Apparently the women apes organised wild ■■■ parties to find a mate :smiley:

The reason we all sleep upstairs is because chimps found it safer up a tree and ddnt get so many insect bites.

And some apes were better at hunting then others, that is why there are fat blokes and skinny blokes :stuck_out_tongue:

but apart from that, Women cant read maps :smiley: :smiley: