Any car mechanics on here

dozy:
Ford Focus 1.0 , when you rev it , push it fairly hard it’s as it goes into limp mode , looses power
If you drive it steady , 55/60 mph it runs fine , done 100 miles + in it today
Not sure if related but last night when lost power engine was ticking over all over place , yet after steady runs smooth , service due light came on last night , which could be mileage related but seemed to coincide with loss of power
Could it be I’m loosing boost , oh for plugs , points etc
Read up & every ones goes on about wet belt ( cam belt ) & get shot

Download Forscan onto a laptop and get an ELM327…when it does go into limp mode you’ll have a free diagnostic on hand

My local Ford dealer told me I would be charged £126 for a plug-in assessment. I replied thanks very much but I’ll not bother.I have a Mondeo 2017.

Gidders:
My local Ford dealer told me I would be charged £126 for a plug-in assessment. I replied thanks very much but I’ll not bother.I have a Mondeo 2017.

Yes I’ve heard it before , they’ve said £125 / £120 , now £90 , will see what they come up with , added a mot as runs out 9 th sept so will struggle I’d guess to trade in if news is bad & need to get rid of

K27:

dozy:
Ford Focus 1.0 , when you rev it , push it fairly hard it’s as it goes into limp mode , looses power
If you drive it steady , 55/60 mph it runs fine , done 100 miles + in it today
Not sure if related but last night when lost power engine was ticking over all over place , yet after steady runs smooth , service due light came on last night , which could be mileage related but seemed to coincide with loss of power
Could it be I’m loosing boost , oh for plugs , points etc
Read up & every ones goes on about wet belt ( cam belt ) & get shot

Download Forscan onto a laptop and get an ELM327…when it does go into limp mode you’ll have a free diagnostic on hand

I’ve not got a laptop & elm327 means nothing to me , that’s the issue I’m not into all this new fangled stuff , I have enough trouble with the phone
I’m a points / plugs mechanic , times moved on & left me behind I’m afraid

Gidders:

That is why I suggested Forscan…(not ■■■■■■■■) :grimacing:

Apparently the vacuum pump is showing up as weak , to investigate , take off & look at will be £250 , if they can’t mend it then a new one if £500 ( so that’s £90+£250 + £500 =£840 ) , if that doesn’t solve the problem then there looking at debris from cam belt which will be £1500 for a new one ( £840+£1500=£2,340 ) , no guarantees that will solve the problem
At that stage I said forget it , just mot it ( it already had passed , no issues ) then 1/2 hr they rang back & said just looking at pump would be a good idea ( £250 ) , forget it I’ll change it
The car cost £6,000 I’ve had 3 yrs / £30,000 miles & upto now has been faultless ,got offered £4,000 p/x last weekend & with full mot think I should get that again , so £2,000 for 3 yrs is cheapish motoring
Looked at civic ( mrs said no as no cd / electronic handbrake) , so going to look at same focus as I’ve got ( can’t have new one as electronic handbrake ) with 1.5 diesel, just need to read up on that specific engine
Nb if you go looking at cars don’t take the mrs !!!

Mrs booked a short break before I go into hospital , loaded her car up & couldn’t fit in what she wanted to take ( women for you ) so tried to hire a car , no luck , so with big reservations said I’d take mine ( have breakdown ) , left Grantham & got too Carmarthen & started to wonder if I was imagined there was a problem with the car , ran lovely , then hit along drag between Carmarthen & Tenby & just died ( thought it wasn’t going to make it , but just did , service light on dash , parked up & see what it’s like in morning
Confirmed there is a issue , mrs has agreed to new focus with electronic handbrake , going diesel though

EA353822-7B2B-4D10-8077-B351AF9F85D6.jpeg

You know, reading the codes would be a good start.

Dav1d:

he says he is not savvy with tech stuff

@dozy…do you live in carmarthen? I am hoping if someone from my Ford owners circles can assist

K27:
@dozy…do you live in carmarthen? I am hoping if someone from my Ford owners circles can assist

No , I passed it on way to Tenby for short break , I live in Grantham ( shortly notts ) , it started to play up after Carmarthen, longish drag , but thankyou very much for offer , car is now back in Grantham

Dav1d:

They were read by Ford , they say it showed weak vacuum pump , if it eventually led to a new one it would of cost me £800 + , then no guarantee car would be fixed , they then would look at cam belt , £1,500 to change , then no guarantee problem would be solved , I said forget it I’ll change it ( car )

K27:

Dav1d:

he says he is not savvy with tech stuff

Correct , I have enough problems with phones , plugs & points , changing engines / axles / gearboxes I was fine , times move on , I’m afraid electronics have left me behind

Car got us Grantham - Tenby - Grantham , ran ok comming back until came off at Newport to head up m50 then really played up on those hills , all sorts of noises , then like it was misfiring , pulled over , couldn’t see anything & then ran back to notts but well down on power , left notts for Grantham & now have eml on ,must of come on notts as can’t remember it before
It goes , had moneys worth out of it & run confirmed there is a fault , mrs now wants a new fiesta st3 & me have her car ( but not practical size / doors ) , she’s likes her mates merc 180 ( think that’s model / hatchback thing ) , I’m not sure , like the focus but this has me a bit weary , but this one is close to 100k , I’m thinking 20 k would be ok , civic , Leon
God knows
Thanks all for help , as I say all this electronic stuff is beyond me ,

robroy:
Asked my lad for you doze
Obviously can’t be precise without looking, but he gave some possibilities anyway

^^^^^^;
Vacuum pump…Tbf doze I mentioned that to you 2 weeks ago, just off the top of my lads head.

@dozy…get yourself a Classic,sod late cars…I am almost getting my MK5 Cortina on the road :grimacing:

K27:
@dozy…get yourself a Classic,sod late cars…I am almost getting my MK5 Cortina on the road :grimacing:

Just don’t go into London with it…or within next 10 years every other major city in UK. :unamused:

robroy:

K27:

Just don’t go into London with it…or within next 10 years every other major city in UK. :unamused:

40> years old are exempt and MOT and road tax.Although the jury is out as to whether carbs and distributor ignition are better than more up to date aftermarket engine management systems.Bearing in mind no need for all the modern unreliable emissions crap within that.Just crank position sensing and throttle position load sensing and that’s it.

robroy:

robroy:
Asked my lad for you doze
Obviously can’t be precise without looking, but he gave some possibilities anyway

^^^^^^;
Vacuum pump…Tbf doze I mentioned that to you 2 weeks ago, just off the top of my lads head.

You probably did rob , thankyou , the problem is Ford wanted £90 to look at car , £250 to then remove vacuum pump & see what’s wrong& maybe fix , if the can’t fix then they said a new pump at £500 , and then No guarantee that would solve issue( that’s £800 , if that didn’t work then they said they’d look at cam belt at £1,500 to change , again no guarantee that would fix issue
I thought I paid original £90 to tell me what fault was ?
Do I buy a pump at £500 , change it myself then find I’ve still got a problem
That’s the issue I’ve no idea what the issue is , even Ford don’t appear to know , with all the tools you’d of thought to tell them what is the fault , there answer appears to be to keep changing parts at my expense until they do eventually hit on the issue
A few mates who know more about modern cars , electronics have had a look & they can’t fathom it ,thanks for help again

K27:

I don’t know , I blew up cortina on m69 , snapped cam chain on Nissan primera when they were never ment to snap
But yes I could work on them , went to scrap yard , got another engine & chucked it in cortina , primera I was so gutted just got rid