Any body worked for ups multi drop 7.5t

Been offered a job with ups based in Manchester. Role consists of driving a 7.5t multi drop delivery.
Anything in excess of 100+ drops with collections,timed deliverys in a area in Manchester.

They claim its all street to street type work with multiple drops on streets but you have to organise your own route whilst factoring in timed drops & collections.
its a 48hr week with unpaid breaks.
Pay is roughly
£11.50 for first 3 months.
£12.00 for 3 to 12 months.
£12.50 for 12 to 24 months.
£13.50 for 24 months +

Also strict on appearance, clean shaven daily, provided with 5 days of clothes.no tattoos on hands,face, neck. ( i would have to wear longsleeve all year round regardless of weather)

At the moment im working for a company driving a class 2 rigid on roughly £8.50 rising to £9.00 after 3 months and its back breaking work for a food & drinks suppliers dealing with frozen & chilled who deliver to schools,fast food,businesses etc whom i wont name on here which have you working like a slave.

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience or works at the moment doing the same thing.i dont mind doing a bit of a graft if the money is right but is 140 drops really achievable with collections included?

And also if anybody can offer any guidance as what to do if you were in my shoes would be really helpful also.

Thanks in advance

Use to work for parcelforce many years ago and was a very demanding job it gets better the more you do the same area and once on a dedicated route.

Some rough areas in Manchester so no doubt you will get that to start the ups bloke in my area which was south london was on there for a few years and
allways parked up and in some birds house giving her one on most afternoons :grimacing: :unamused:

Wife’s mates hubby works for them. I’ve not spoke to him about it but the wife’s mate has told my wife about some of it as I looked into it. He had a lot of training I believe and had to pass exams after training… But he does earn some good money compared to other multi drop firms

Must get on with dogs as well grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The money seems pretty good but i couldn’t hack that for to long. It may sound lazy but i will stick with a bit less hourly pay on class 1 and be flustered if given 3 destinations a day :smiley:

Even on class 2 i think the most i did was 12 drops.

I did a bit of self employed with DHL when they were based at Morley multi drop. Me and a lad I got to know through owning our own vans got in with them and took a couple of drivers on. It was ok. I seemed to suss it out pretty quick. Sorting my run out, scanning and getting out of the yard and getting on with my drops. I had around 80ish a day plus a few collections. I could sometimes get done for 1400/1500 whereas one or two of the others weren’t getting back to the yard until 1800/1900. It’s maybe not summat I could do for long as it did get a bit stressful

They give you a weeks training in Tamworth all paid for.your tested at the end of the week & you have to get 90% to pass. If you dont you have to repass in the next 3 months or then your terminated,your trail period is also pushed back.

You then receive 22 days training which involves seeing how the operation works in doors to buddy ups seeing how that side works & the usual h&s stuff. Your then tested again for nvq standard for carrying multi drop or some fancy thing. If you fail you then get another 3 months as the other.

Mr ginge who i work for at the minute want up to 20 odd drops all to places you can barely squeeze a ■■■■ into. On top of that its not drop & go its all cages which are then unloaded & items counted,lots of paperwork also. 12 would be heaven.

Done it years ago for another courier company tho

If you go for it, it will be a nightmare for the first week or so but eventually become pretty easy if your on the same run.

Organizing the run at first a nightmare, and take you ages, but again after a few weeks becomes easy.

Deliveries wise, find prob 75% of the deliveries are to businesses which are easy when you know where they are, can find go into an a small industrial estate and find delivered 20 parcels in the same of 15mins. Sometimes if your lucky can go to one business who gets 1/4 of the van. But again its learning the businesses prob find some places address or business name changed 5 years ago but wasn’t changed with the supplier so you have no clue where its going. Again once used to it easy.

Hardest bit i found is doing deliveries to houses, that’s where you can spend 15mins trying to deliver a parcel, some houses just with names no number right pain, or find big driveway walk up in then no one in, so trying to find a neighbor cause don’t want to bring it back cause have to deliver it the next day.

the gimp:
Mr ginge who i work for at the minute want up to 20 odd drops all to places you can barely squeeze a ■■■■ into. On top of that its not drop & go its all cages which are then unloaded & items counted,lots of paperwork also. 12 would be heaven.

My class 2 job was foodservice so i know what it was like, chilled on cages and then frozen on pallets all handball. The amount of places that seemed very surprised by the size of the lorry their stuff came in (18T). It was flat out 3:30am till 6-9pm as you could never dream of bringing a drop back and you were in a day cabs so no nights out. I was wasting 6hrs+ a day just traveling from Cheltenham to the centre of London.

Lasted just over a year but i couldn’t believe how easy it has got now on class 1. But i did get paid more for the class 2 so its swings and roundabouts.

From your breakdown UPS seem to be at least reconising the work load looking at the hourly rates. And i don’t know about your current job but i was doing around 70hrs over 5 days a week on food service so it looks like you should have more time at home.

The money seems good,didn’t realise all the training involved UPS ask for.That amount of drops seem alot in a 7.5t,considering time to take a 45 in between.I do mult-drop in a 7.5t for Parcelforce.I do about 18-25 depending on areas and volume.I have 2 regular drops that can easily take up half of the load,so therefore not much room for more drops.
Maybe possible in a compact area,we have designated vans doing multi-drop,I del bulky and heavy items,so quite spread out,sometimes 5 miles or so between drops.
If you don’t mind grafting go for it.

the gimp:
Been offered a job with ups based in Manchester. Role consists of driving a 7.5t multi drop delivery.
Anything in excess of 100+ drops with collections,timed deliverys in a area in Manchester.

They claim its all street to street type work with multiple drops on streets but you have to organise your own route whilst factoring in timed drops & collections.
Pay is roughly
£13.50 for 24 months +

Also strict on appearance, clean shaven daily, provided with 5 days of clothes.no tattoos on hands,face, neck. ( i would have to wear longsleeve all year round regardless of weather)

At the moment im working for a company driving a class 2 rigid on roughly £8.50 rising to £9.00 after 3 months and its back breaking work for a food & drinks suppliers dealing with frozen & chilled who deliver to schools,fast food,businesses etc whom i wont name on here which have you working like a slave.

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience or works at the moment doing the same thing.i dont mind doing a bit of a graft if the money is right but is 140 drops really achievable with collections included?

And also if anybody can offer any guidance as what to do if you were in my shoes would be really helpful also.

Thanks in advance

Just reminded me of this chaps diary a few years ago.

Should give some insight as to what is involved.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66898

Thanks for that country joe. Its shed some light on it.think i might take them up on it. cant be any worse than what im doing at the moment, and the £ is a lot more also. I have a nice app that i can put 100 + drops into & optimise the route so hopefully that should help also.

Thanks again.

I worked for UPS about 20 years ago. It was a very good job. The only reason I left was because they moved the depot and Indid not want to travel to the new depot.
The money was good and the management were very good.

I left last year after 15 months and can honestly say it’s the worst job I ever had :imp:
They expect you 10 mins early on the van to sort your day(unpaid).
You have 9, 10.30 and 12pm deliveries you do not fail, despite the fact I started at 8 they expected me out at 8 as my pre 9’s were 50 mins away on a good day, if you don’t make it you pre record and have the sign screen ready before you arrive late. It’s constant chipping at performance no matter how well you do.
You need to of cleared 60-65 deliveries before your lunch break, if not and you have a round where you can park up and do 10-15 you’ll be expected to do that while on tacho break and work through, reason is the on call collections :unamused:
These can not be refused no matter how much you argue or how busy you are.
You may get 60 drops on your round and think you’ve got an easy day…they bang 10 on you from another area and you have to get on with it despite your timed.
Don’t show visible tattoos or the brummie prick(forget his name) will get your centre manager to bollock you but be nice to your face such a ■■■■ I always wanted to chin him :smiley:
If you don’t make the daily minute targets you’re moaned at
If you collect enough you’re moaned at!
Expect to shift up to 70kg on your own no matter how far.
Most places I went hated me turning up, customers also wanted you to wait 20 mins when collecting because of various problems which caused more arguments.
Ups drivers do not reverse, ever!
That said my gaffa JD was a cracking bloke, wasn’t his fault he enforced the rules and I had beers with him at a couple of forest games.
Sorry for wasting your precious life if you’ve read this but the job is the absolute pits, it’s an American firm with American ways and for me they can go ■■■■ themselves!
They rely on blokes who will never earn that money elsewhere and once they’ve got them in they abuse them because they can.
Good luck if you go for if.

country.joe:

the gimp:

Pay is roughly
£13.50 for 24 months +

Thanks in advance

Just reminded me of this chaps diary a few years ago.

Should give some insight as to what is involved.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66898

That was me! I should do another one. 15 year veteran and counting.

Its tough work but it is what you make of it.

If you let them get the better of you then you won’t last long. There is a lot of training, there is a lot of driving rules, there is a lot of banging on about figures, production targets etc etc but don’t try and understand them. Like i said i’ve been there 15 years and i still don’t under the production figures they spit out all the time, as far as i’m concerned i do what is on my van, nothing more, nothing less. If i have time i’ll take more stuff and help another driver. Every round has a minimum & maximum drop count and you’ll be expected to do that many once up to speed.

Despite what Ollie said they will not make you run bent or work through your breaks, they will push the boundaries but stop short of anything illegal. They are ■■■■ hot on tacho infringements and customer complaints, don’t drive like a ■■■■ or be rude to people and you shouldn’t have any. Don’t do anything that would be classed as gross misconduct as they’ll show you the door in a heartbeat.

Join Unite if you get the job, they’re great for any legal stuff and regularly push for better pay etc, we had 11% over the past 2 years and are due another if new conditions are accepted by the company soon.

If you can go to work and not let it get to you if its busy then you’ll be fine, you can only do what you can do. If you have problems then keep them in the picture, just don’t leave it till late and decide you can’t finish.

Some people can do it, some people can’t. We’ve got 7 guys with over 15 years service, 3 or 4 with over 10 and around 20 with 5 or more years service
I regularly do 120-140 drops a day, would i change it? Not a chance

Why would I make it up? They didn’t care too much for infringements at my centre there was bloke running all day without tacho breaks and they weren’t punished, most of them didn’t even know the tacho laws :unamused:
And I’m not making it up about expectations to get the job done at all costs, the company is gash. There’s always gonna be long time servers in a job that pays double minimum wage because the lads doing it would be doing minimum wages jobs as the alternative so they’re trapped. The vans are crap, the bull shine is endless and you do twice the work load of an average multi drop driver which is why you get twice the pay and twice the crap.
If youve been there so long and love it so much you wouldn’t be on here reading about proper drivers in the real world :grimacing:
Crap job, crap company, those that can drive progress to feeder those that can’t stay on the vans getting dry ■■■■■■ up the ■■■■■■■ daily for their amazing pay :unamused:
So glad I got out I have a much better wage coming in and way better living standard then I ever had doing that ■■■■■■■■.
Each to their own I guess but if that’s what you class a decent job then I truely feel sorry for you :laughing:

OllieNotts:
Why would I make it up? They didn’t care too much for infringements at my centre there was bloke running all day without tacho breaks and they weren’t punished, most of them didn’t even know the tacho laws :unamused:
And I’m not making it up about expectations to get the job done at all costs, the company is gash. There’s always gonna be long time servers in a job that pays double minimum wage because the lads doing it would be doing minimum wages jobs as the alternative so they’re trapped. The vans are crap, the bull shine is endless and you do twice the work load of an average multi drop driver which is why you get twice the pay and twice the crap.
If youve been there so long and love it so much you wouldn’t be on here reading about proper drivers in the real world :grimacing:
Crap job, crap company, those that can drive progress to feeder those that can’t stay on the vans getting dry [zb] up the [zb] daily for their amazing pay :unamused:
So glad I got out I have a much better wage coming in and way better living standard then I ever had doing that ■■■■■■■■.
Each to their own I guess but if that’s what you class a decent job then I truely feel sorry for you :laughing:

Not saying you made anything up, just saying what you put is the exception rather than the rule. Drivers still get infringements but mainly for minor things and not for working all day without breaks etc. It also varies on your depot manager, some don’t give a ■■■■ won’t last long, some are great and run a tight ship. We had one who didn’t give a monkeys, rarely saw him and within 6 months he was out the door, other’s we’ve had for a couple of years.

As i said, some can do it & some can’t, you were obviously one of the latter. I love it, i’ve got a great round, meet some great people, some ■■■■■■■ admittedly but they go over your head.
Reading about proper drivers? You’re obviously bitter and let the job get to you.

I call a job that pays well, gives a good pension, company discounts and get to drive a 6 month old vehicle a pretty good one in my eyes, sure there’s plenty more out there but why change when you enjoy it?

Clearly you never worked out of Nottingham it’s the opposite to what you’ve described :laughing:
My area was Sutton in ashfield, it’s full of ignorant 6 fingered wrongens I plan never to ever EVER go back there.
I did the job for 15 months and my round was successful I was good at it, but I coukdvt stand the bull any longer or the customers. Was promised a round change, promised feeder none of which came. Old bowskill or as we called him no skill is an absolute ■■■■■■■■! How him and bates are paid I’ll never know. I heard bates was a failed driver with a brown nose that sums up his persona.
Good bunch of lads mostly at Nottingham I still miss the crack.