Any advise for a DHL Driving assessment?

Hi,

After what seemed like a life time of waiting I got my license back yesterday morning along with CPC card, and already have a driving assessment booked for DHL in Severnbeach working on what I believe is the Primark contract.

I know that is a highway code test which I will be fine with, and a driving assessment which is where I am not to sure what to expect in terms of truck I maybe driving.

Does anyone know what kind of truck they use and what kind of gears they have? I’ve only spent about 7 hours driving a manual truck with a basic 4 by 4 set up on the gears.

Thank you

Neil

I’ve been to a couple of their sites and they had Volvo on one and Daf at the other. All auto so chill mate, no drama.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

mick.mh2racing:
I’ve been to a couple of their sites and they had Volvo on one and Daf at the other. All auto so chill mate, no drama.

Thank you, may sound a bit odd but I always like to some idea of what I maybe driving.

They used to be all Volvo but are in the process of bringing in DAF rigids but they are all autos regardless now,only time you’ll get a manual is if it is been hired in short term,if it has then it’s more than likely going to have a straight 6 box as splitters ect are now in museums :smiley:
Also you will do a hazard perception test in a computer much like the one you did in your theory.
DHL are a great company to work for,very health and safety conscious and will not expect to to bend,twist or distort the driving regs like some places do,I’ve been working for DHL for 13 years now and they paid for my class one too.

xichrisxi:
They used to be all Volvo but are in the process of bringing in DAF rigid but they are all autos regardless now,only time you’ll get a manual is if it is been hired in short term,if it has then it’s more than likely going to have a straight 6 box as splitters ect are not in museums :smiley:
Also you will do a hazard perception test in a computer much like the one you did in your theory.
DHL are a great company to work for,very health and safety conscious and will not expect to to bend,twist or distort the driving regs like some places do,I’ve been working for DHL for 13 years now and they paid for my class one too.

Thank you, I have heard good things about working for DHL in the past.

Mate, they quiet stricter than any other place I’ve been so far. Luckily their trucks are fully automatics and it’s an 18t DAF. Careful on road signs, just imagine yourself with no sat nav in a middle of nowhere. If you brush the kerbs it’s a fail, if you go over your line for couples time it’s a fail, if you signal late or in incorrectly in a roundabout it’s a fail. Just also imagine your practical test day X 2.

They are a PITA to work for. I had some sub-human in a 7.5t van bang my mirror whilst driving for Iceland (pre XPO), all I had was a cracked mirror lens.

Next minute…insurance forms, statements, urine test, drugs test, etc. Load of ■■■■■■■■.

eagerbeaver:
They are a PITA to work for. I had some sub-human in a 7.5t van bang my mirror whilst driving for Iceland (pre XPO), all I had was a cracked mirror lens.

Next minute…insurance forms, statements, urine test, drugs test, etc. Load of ■■■■■■■■.

I’m currently finding out the reason for this…
Just over 2 years ago someone hit my trailer whilst I was stationary causing damage to their car and none whatsoever to my trailer…fast forward to July this year and the person driving the Audi has decided it wasn’t his fault he hit my trailer and is putting a claim in!,if the accident packs and everything wasn’t done and saved from the time it happened Mr Audi driver would probably get settled out of court to his benefit,unfortunately for him he won’t be,it will be going to court,maybe he will wish he never bothered after :smiley:

IdroC2:
Mate, they quiet stricter than any other place I’ve been so far. Luckily their trucks are fully automatics and it’s an 18t DAF. Careful on road signs, just imagine yourself with no sat nav in a middle of nowhere. If you brush the kerbs it’s a fail, if you go over your line for couples time it’s a fail, if you signal late or in incorrectly in a roundabout it’s a fail. Just also imagine your practical test day X 2.

Yeah we will take it nice and easy as its a driving test, and see what happens.

eagerbeaver:

Sounds very much like First group on the buses, phone the insurance company, fill in the insurance report, 2 days later get asked for details of it all again, a week after then taken off the road for the day and interviewed by a staff manager

xichrisxi:

eagerbeaver:

I’m currently finding out the reason for this…
Just over 2 years ago someone hit my trailer whilst I was stationary causing damage to their car and none whatsoever to my trailer…fast forward to July this year and the person driving the Audi has decided it wasn’t his fault he hit my trailer and is putting a claim in!,if the accident packs and everything wasn’t done and saved from the time it happened Mr Audi driver would probably get settled out of court to his benefit,unfortunately for him he won’t be,it will be going to court,maybe he will wish he never bothered after :smiley:

Yeah this is the reason why I always cover myself, its a pain and alot of paperwork at the time.

But you never know when you need to reply on this. Same as using the ‘driver black boxes’ like drive green had to use some months back to prove what speed I was doing (it was below 10mph), but a customer gave a wittiness statement saying I was speeding at 40mph+ and quick I stopped to avoid a RTC.

I had an assessment with DHL yesterday.

Started with the usual paperwork about your license etc. There were about 5 Health and Safety forms to read and then answer a few questions on. All the answers are in the pack and you can refer back so it’s straight forward.

There was a quick multiple choice form about road signs, breaks etc. All the usual stuff from the theory test. No hazard perception or computers involved in the assessment I did.

They want on the explain the reams of paperwork to be completed every day and for every run. They didn’t expect me to remember it all and I’ve found the other drivers to be really helpful.

Finally it was into the truck for a 30 minute drive. The assessor clearly explained what he was looking for which was good planning ahead and awareness of the situation around you. It was fairly relaxed and we had a chat as we went around. At the end they give you a few pointers.

Nothing to be worried about if you are a new pass and drive to the test standard.

Good luck and relax. I’m finding them to be good to work for so far.

Bigpaul:
I had an assessment with DHL yesterday.

Started with the usual paperwork about your license etc. There were about 5 Health and Safety forms to read and then answer a few questions on. All the answers are in the pack and you can refer back so it’s straight forward.

There was a quick multiple choice form about road signs, breaks etc. All the usual stuff from the theory test. No hazard perception or computers involved in the assessment I did.

They want on the explain the reams of paperwork to be completed every day and for every run. They didn’t expect me to remember it all and I’ve found the other drivers to be really helpful.

Finally it was into the truck for a 30 minute drive. The assessor clearly explained what he was looking for which was good planning ahead and awareness of the situation around you. It was fairly relaxed and we had a chat as we went around. At the end they give you a few pointers.

Nothing to be worried about if you are a new pass and drive to the test standard.

Good luck and relax. I’m finding them to be good to work for so far.

Good to know, pasted my test end of June but have been driving buses for 2 years yesterday so size wise not to much problem going to read up again on driving hours make sure I remember them right. But the rest sounds very good and can relax.

Dhl Severn Beach assuming it’s out the boots tk max which I think they do a few other contracts out of there they are very fair and helpful I done my class2 assessment with them last year and the assessor was very fair and helpful if I wasn’t sure on anything they have varied trucks manuals and autos I was going back to do my class1 assessment but got offered full time tramping work which I wanted more but I would certainly go back and work out of that depot again expect half a day on assessment watching a health and safety and general information video followed by a quiz about hrs etc and just a basic driving assessment nothing to stress about good luck

Yatsay93:
Dhl Severn Beach assuming it’s out the boots tk max which I think they do a few other contracts out of there they are very fair and helpful I done my class2 assessment with them last year and the assessor was very fair and helpful if I wasn’t sure on anything they have varied trucks manuals and autos I was going back to do my class1 assessment but got offered full time tramping work which I wanted more but I would certainly go back and work out of that depot again expect half a day on assessment watching a health and safety and general information video followed by a quiz about hrs etc and just a basic driving assessment nothing to stress about good luck

Yeah I was told by Blue arrow my current agency that it would be about 3 hours long, and to work on delivering to Primark stores. Althourgh this may change, and I have been once I have pasted my DHL assessment there it can be used on other sites they have.

nfk2001:
Yeah I was told by Blue arrow my current agency that it would be about 3 hours long, and to work on delivering to Primark stores. Althourgh this may change, and I have been once I have pasted my DHL assessment there it can be used on other sites they have.

This is true,it’s also worth noting if you get banned from one you get banned from them all :laughing:

xichrisxi:

nfk2001:

This is true,it’s also worth noting if you get banned from one you get banned from them all :laughing:

true it can go both ways, guess the idea is not to get banned from any site

i’ve been on for DHL for the last 6 years (not any of the contracts mentioned),and if you can put up with the reams of paperwork and over the top H&S nonsense,they’re ok to work for IMO.if we have a bump,we have to ring the insurance people ASAP,the Golden Hour as DHL call it,get breathalyzed when we get back :unamused: then re-assessed the next day…so try to avoid hitting anything OP! :laughing:

First off, thank you everyone for your advise it was very helpful.

Went up to the site today for the assessment, and met with Darren who was conducting the assessment. The theory test was mainly on road signs and driving hours, which we passed no problem even with the 2 signs I got wrong on the feedback I known the right answer on going at it again.

There was a couple with related to class 1, and one on the drink drive limit and the legal blood level to drive.

Then after the feedback and a talk about site safely we moved over to the truck which was a Daf truck, where you load a box onto the back. After telling him I’ve never sat in a Daf before I was shown everything and then left to conduct the walk around check. This is where we hit a problem due to having a flat inner rear tyre, so now going back week to do the driving assessment. Only a little bit long to wait.

That’s frustrating pal! :cry:
I’d fail your assessor for not checking the truck over first! :laughing:

Best of luck next week…