Any advice regarding defects

Hi
I start driving class 1 next tuesday and I just want to get something straight regarding defects. If on your walk around check you notice something wrong with the trailer (rusted and worn door hinge or rip in curtain) or a bulb has blown etc etc etc. You fill in a defect form I know but do you still leave the yard?
How far do you go before its deemed taking the pish?

Serviceable and legal - - get on with it. Unserviceable or illegal - - get it sorted.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Write it on “the paper” in the most true form you can and see if “manager” signs under it… :slight_smile:

As Pete says + if you can take a picture of any damage to cover that rear hole :neutral_face:

ok so most things you would just write the defect + take picture. Only major stuff would prevent you leaving yard like ABS light on or split tyre etc?

There is a great photo app that logs date time and gps position. called DeliverEye

Depends on driver.
Some warning lights - indications on dashboard can be caused or indicate for some more serious problem, for example message about ABS fault or something similar might be caused by some sensor malfunction and sensor malfunction might be caused by running on loose wheels…

As most things can be stated “body damage” - then yes as long as all body parts are attached and not falling off I would use it but as “most things” in terms of some lights or messages on dashboard etc… I would put it all on paper and see if “person in office” signs under that and how he looks at paper…
Situation from life - writing a lot of things on paper lead to different lorry in better condition, just because people in office didn’t like to sign that kind of paper and gave that lorry to someone who didn’t write things on paper :smiley:

duly noted :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi, best way to deal with defects is do your homework, the above was okay pre-2008 but things move on, or at least DVSA roadside inspections have.

It’s very possible for a truck to pass an MOT and then fail a roadside inspection, at which point the driver will receive a fixed penalty, ranging from £50 to £300. The MOT is based on an out dated system, unlike the graduated fixed penalty notices which are aimed at drivers not doing their pre use inspections adequately. Your employer will be targeted through the OCRS database but you the driver will need to pay the fine.

Remember the most serious defect carry 3 points, DVSA can issue you points since these changes to roadside checks came out. So don’t use vehicles with steering, tyres and brake defects, these carry 3 points.

Check out this DVSA roadside checks: fines and financial deposits - GOV.UK

Follow this guide, it shows you the price of that defect basically, so it’s down to you if it’s worth the risk to your wallet and judge yourself if it’s worth the risk to the general public as the vehicle you drive could be extremely dangerous if in a poor state.

Like I said, if it’s unserviceable or illegal - - get it sorted.

Peter Smythe:
Like I said, if it’s unserviceable or illegal - - get it sorted.

Yeah right - for new driver it is “very very easy” to know what in detail is servicable what is illegal what is unservicable and illegal - for example newbie finishes course with your school - you are the best in the world as some think yeah - so I assume you give to each of your graduates not only checklist as Wallace does but printed list of what is servicable what is unservicable what is illegal what is legal defect…?

Yeah right…

How can new driver straight out of school at his first job know what is servicable what is unservicable etc in detail…?

For example I have had situation where I had “messages” coming up on vehicle… put them on paper - it’s just a message check watewaa but i put it on paper - everybody tried to force me to leave paper clean but I refused. What happened next - dirty paper went into office, whoever decided ok lets send this for checks to mechanics and show it into his face that its ok after that. So few days later I took it out - what happened next, 50 or so miles and it “developped catastrophic failure” sparks, metal parts - bank - puff puff - dead… ( I do not want to tell what exactly happened due to privacy reasons :smiley:) Next day everybody quiet, week later one of newest trucks… :stuck_out_tongue:

So how new driver should have decided on servicable nonservicable legal illegal just from message - ■■?
If would not have put it on paper something else might have happened in different place in different speed with different results… :stuck_out_tongue:

Another time issue with brake messages - put it on paper - in principle refused to sign… didnt sign for 3 days… moaned every day - still refused to give clean paper… next week just gave different truck… :smiley:

This is very True:

Tockwith Training:
It’s very possible for a truck to pass an MOT and then fail a roadside inspection, at which point the driver will receive a fixed penalty, ranging from £50 to £300. The MOT is based on an out dated system

kyk:
Yeah right - for new driver it is “very very easy” to know what in detail is servicable what is illegal what is unservicable and illegal - for example newbie finishes course with your school - you are the best in the world as some think yeah - so I assume you give to each of your graduates not only checklist as Wallace does but printed list of what is servicable what is unservicable what is illegal what is legal defect…?

Yeah right…

How can new driver straight out of school at his first job know what is servicable what is unservicable etc in detail…?

Here is a link to the NATIONAL STANDARD FOR DRIVING LORRIES National standard for driving lorries - GOV.UK This tells us the standard required and what a driver should know. From what I can see a driver should have sufficient knowledge to know what is good and what is bad.

Here is a link to the HGV MOT MANUAL MOT inspection manual: HGVs - GOV.UK. This tells us all the items checked, how they are checked and reason for failure - an excellent read.

Here is a link to the CATERGORISATION OF DEFECTS How vehicle defects are categorised in roadside checks and vehicle tests - GOV.UK. Again an excellent read tellings us how defects are assessed and the likely outcome if defects exist.

Here is a link to the ENFORCEMENT SANCTIONS POLICY DVSA enforcement sanctions policy - GOV.UK. Another great source of information detailing sanctions for defects.

Any driver taking his job seriously would be reading up in documents as listed above … makes the job easier, safer and ultimately it is what is expected.

Alternatively - ask the employer.

Newby asked about cut off point but get 100s of pages of MOT inspection manuals… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Actually, Laup, you could study these papers… and then bring them to your manager upon checks in the morning… pointing with finger in one of tha pages and saying something like “see this - can’t drive - defect” and take his face photo at that point and post it here… :smiley:

kyk:
Newby asked about cut off point but get 100s of pages of MOT inspection manuals… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Actually, Laup, you could study these papers… and then bring them to your manager upon checks in the morning… pointing with finger in one of tha pages and saying something like “see this - can’t drive - defect” and take his face photo at that point and post it here… :smiley:

And those documents answer the exact question asked because each individual defect is different and anything can be looked up in those documents.

Example.
Main beam headlight bulb blown - can I take it out? YES as not a legal requirement.
Dip beam headlight blown - can I take it out? NO as it is an obligatory lamp day or night and you might receive a fixed penalty or prohibition.

Rusty hinges? Write it on your defect sheet if you like but as long as they are secure then take it out

Torn curtain? As long as the load is secure and the ripped bit isn’t flapping around and likely to cause harm then take it out (if your boss doesn’t mind the load getting wet)

The way I look at it is not how the transport office/boss would react to my raising a possible defect or obvious defect, but how would I look while standing in front of a copper/vosa, trying to explain myself to their questions of why would I be taking this vehicle out onto the road and how could I have reached the conclusion that this was acceptable and safe - They`ll take the ■■■■, make you feel stupid, give you a rollocking before giving you a ticket.

The idiot in the yard that laughed in your face making idiotic remarks on your behalf at how unknowledgeable and green you are, will not be protesting to the law in your defence, nor will he be offering financial assistance in the event of a fine.

If the company you work for does not take vehicle safety seriously, then this translates as not caring about their operators licence or your c+e licence and certainly not you.

Question - Why care about them ?

Never feel embarressed to ask. The good companies will deal with it and in time youll learn what is a defect and what is not. There will be grey areas, is this really a defect or not, in which case seeking out other drivers opinions BEFORE going into the office can be helpful, but certainly not conclusive. If you decide to take the vehicle out then get the nod of approval from someone who would be sharing the courts dock with you, ie, transport manager/ "O" licence holder, on site mechanic. These guys dont want to “go down” with you and will be looking out for their own backs too. If your gut instinct tells you something is wrong, simply refuse to drive the truck.

There, I think Ive covered it :slight_smile:

already past it.:
The way I look at it is not how the transport office/boss would react to my raising a possible defect or obvious defect, but how would I look while standing in front of a copper/vosa, trying to explain myself to their questions of why would I be taking this vehicle out onto the road and how could I have reached the conclusion that this was acceptable and safe - They`ll take the ■■■■, make you feel stupid, give you a rollocking before giving you a ticket.

The idiot in the yard that laughed in your face making idiotic remarks on your behalf at how unknowledgeable and green you are, will not be protesting to the law in your defence, nor will he be offering financial assistance in the event of a fine.

If the company you work for does not take vehicle safety seriously, then this translates as not caring about their operators licence or your c+e licence and certainly not you.

Never feel embarressed to ask. The good companies will deal with it and in time youll learn what is a defect and what is not. There will be grey areas, is this really a defect or not, in which case seeking out other drivers opinions BEFORE going into the office can be helpful, but certainly not conclusive. If you decide to take the vehicle out then get the nod of approval from someone who would be sharing the courts dock with you, ie, transport manager/ "O" licence holder, on site mechanic. These guys dont want to “go down” with you and will be looking out for their own backs too. If your gut instinct tells you something is wrong, simply refuse to drive the truck.

Thanks… Defiantly helpful for me. I’ve dragged my soon to be new transport manager round my truck to confirm that a few things are road legal and I wasn’t wrong to take the truck out. He was quite happy to let me show him the bits I wasn’t sure about and seemed to respect the fact I wanted to be confident I was legal.

TheTrogFather:

already past it.:

Thanks… Defiantly helpful for me. I’ve dragged my soon to be new transport manager round my truck to confirm that a few things are road legal and I wasn’t wrong to take the truck out. He was quite happy to let me show him the bits I wasn’t sure about and seemed to respect the fact I wanted to be confident I was legal.

Good, that`s the kind of TM you want :slight_smile:

One time I reported in for a shift at a company new to me. Got keys etc and after hitching up the trailer and doing my checks a rear tyre on the tri-axle looked a bit low on air. The load was heavy and I couldnt tell for sure if the tyre was low or just how the trailer was sitting. Got another drivers opinion who thought the same as me. So I went in the office, the TM wasnt so pleased to hear about this so asked me to take another look so I obliged while thinking it a waste of time. As I reached the trailer, a driver had followed me out from the transport office, he gave out a false laugh while saying that in situations like this we just go out anyway and if the tyre shreds then it shreds. So in other words if chunks of rubber gets thrown around the motorway then so be it. I insisted that the on-site tyre bloke takes a look, he arrived in due course, connected up his air line, pumped air in for 5 or 10 mins (cant remember how long, but he said it was standard procedure) and after that time the psi was reading around 60psi, no change from when he had first connected the air line. He changed the tyre. The TM appeared to take a dislike to me after that. I had been reasonably mannered throughout the shift and was simply doing my job. That was a friday. The following week I worked elsewhere and on pay day I never got paid for that shift, the agency had been told Id damaged the truck when unhitching the trailer. Lies.

This is the kind of crap that exists in trucking. I always stick to my guns and will deffo walk from any crap company.

They are worth less than a 200 year old ■■■■■ after a busy night down the docks servicing the entire 7th fleet and all their relatives/friends and everyone theyve ever met and who plans on being a comfort girl to the entire male population of china. Id only ■■■■ on them if they were on fire so I could set them alight again in the morning. I hope Ive made myself clear :sunglasses: