Any advice on driving as a second job and the WTD please?

Hi there been reading this site for oast few months but just signed up yesterday.

I passed my class 2 last week at first time of asking and my plan is to do mod 2 and 4 cpc in the coming weeks and get out part time driving soon after.

The issue is I currently work on the rigs and with overtime I do rough 172 hours in a two week period offshore!! Would this cause issues fir me driving should I be questioned by DVSA or the police ? Or am I ok as long as the two jobs don’t overlap in a working week ?

My future plans are to use the class 2 work to pay for my class 1 and eventually leave this job ( sounds mad I know)

Thanks for reading

It won’t be a problem as long as you have the required weekly rest periods in weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations and the required daily rest periods on days that you drive in-scope of EU regulations.

Thanks for the response tachograph, sorry if I sound dumb here so for instance if I finish on the rig on Thursday after doing 4 hours work and I have done three 13 hour shifts on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday will that mean I could not do any work until the following Monday ?

All new to me and have no idea where I can and can’t go working week wise.

Cheers again

Dazza1shot:
Thanks for the response tachograph, sorry if I sound dumb here so for instance if I finish on the rig on Thursday after doing 4 hours work and I have done three 13 hour shifts on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday will that mean I could not do any work until the following Monday ?

All new to me and have no idea where I can and can’t go working week wise.

The rig work will count as other work for the EU regulations, you can only go 144 hours between weekly rest periods, therefore assuming you never drove in-scope of EU regulations the previous week you would need to have a rest period ot at-least 24 hours no later than 144 hours from when you started work on the Monday.

It would be easier to give you some idea of when you can drive HGVs if we had some idea of your usual work shift pattern, presumably you live on the rig for 2 weeks at a time, if that’s correct how long would you then be off work ?

The drivers hours confuse most people at first but they will make sense to you eventually :wink:

That’s correct mate I work on a two week on two week off rotation starting Thursday lunch and finishing two weeks later on the Thursday lunch.

My shifts are 13 hour shifts.

Hope this helps

Regarding the WTD -
Rig work is normal WTD
Driving is RT(WT)R
The two do not get added together

Sorry Rog can you simplify the for me please mate ? So does that mean in effect I can get off the rig on Thursday and then go straight out driving on Saturday ? And no laws will be broken ?
Sorry if I come across a bit dumb just been institutionalised in the same job for 16 years

Thanks in advance

You need class 2 work to pay for your class 1 yet you work on an oil rig (gas?). You must have some expnsive tastes fella (or habits)

Dazza1shot:
Sorry Rog can you simplify the for me please mate ? So does that mean in effect I can get off the rig on Thursday and then go straight out driving on Saturday ? And no laws will be broken ?
Sorry if I come across a bit dumb just been institutionalised in the same job for 16 years

Drivers work to the mobile workers working time regulations, that’s the Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 otherwise known as the RT(WT)R for short.

The rig work you do does not count towards your hours for the RT(WT)R however any driving work you do probably counts towards the general WTD, but since you’re already doing well over 60 per week I assume that either your company doesn’t monitor the WTD or your job is exempt.

* Recording your work in another job.
During any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations the work in your usual job counts as other work for the drivers hours and tachograph regulations and should be manually recorded as such on tachograph printouts or charts.

* You do not have to have a weekly rest period in any week that you do not drive in-scope of EU regulations.

As I said earlier you must start a weekly rest period no later than 144 hours from the end of your previous weekly rest period, however in your case the 144 hours starts when you first start work on the rig on the Monday.

I’ve no idea what hours you work but for the sake of this discussion lets say you start work on Monday at 08:00 (I know it’s probably that simple but…), that means that if you drive in-scope of EU regulations when you finish your rig job on Thursday you must start a weekly rest period no later than 08:00 Sunday (144 hours from starting work on Monday).
On the other hand you could have 24 hours off and start driving Friday afternoon or Saturday, be aware though that 24 hours rest is a reduced weekly rest period and you can only do that every other week, alternate weeks you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period.

This is a simplifies version of the drivers hours and tachograph rules

This is the full brain numbing version of the drivers hours and tachograph rules

SuperMultiBlue:
You need class 2 work to pay for your class 1 yet you work on an oil rig (gas?). You must have some expnsive tastes fella (or habits)

Try an greedy ex who with the csa shafts me monthly lube free !! Yet never has the courtesy to give me so much as a reach around.

That and a wedding to pay for next summer

tachograph:
The rig work you do does not count towards your hours for the RT(WT)R however any driving work you do probably counts towards the general WTD, but since you’re already doing well over 60 per week I assume that either your company doesn’t monitor the WTD or your job is exempt.

Yes mate we fought for years to get included in the WTD to be told we are exempt.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify stuff for me.

So in essence the day job does not effect the driving but it does the other way around, unless like me the job is exempt.

Dazza1shot:
So in essence the day job does not effect the driving but it does the other way around, unless like me the job is exempt.

The day job doesn’t affect the driving job as far as the working time regulations are concerned, however it does affect the driving job as far as the drivers hours and tachograph rules are concerned.

Any other work done in a week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations should be counted as other work and manually recorded as such on tachograph printouts or charts.

So if you wanted to drive on Saturday/Sunday the work you do on the rig Monday to Thursday would count as other work, that’s why you would need to start a weekly rest period no later than 144 hours from when you started on Monday.

Think I get it finally mate lol I would rarely be looking to start work before Sunday so would be effectively I would be having over 50 hours off before going out driving on Sunday.

Thanks for your patience tachograph.