Any advice for an assessment drive?

Hey fellas

Ive been quiet on here lately as most of my spare times been spent job hunting and handing in my CV to haulers in my area with no luck as im a newbie and most places want 2 years on my licence.

After being messed about by an agency ive finally found some luck with a local very well known company near me through their own agency.

Ive got an assessment drive booked in an artic next Thursday. Theyre saying not to worry too much about it as if im not that confident yet then they can find me some class C work anyway. Theyre happy to let me do alternate weekends for now as i really cant afford to leave my boring but reliable full time job at the mo which they appreciate.

I passed my test in a wagon and drag in May then had a few hours in an Artic in July but no driving since or between. I did pretty well in the artic but hit a couple of kerbs while i was getting used to the difference in going the longer way round all the corners to allow for the trailer. The only driving ive ever done otherwise is while i was training for my tests and im a bit worried im out of practise.

The assessor knows im a newbie and its been a while since ive been in an HGV and hes forwarded me some revision material to go over in the meantime.

Has anyone got any advice for me at all? Need to get back in the zone :sunglasses:

From what you say, you shouldn’t really have anything to worry about. They know you are new and will probably make mistakes, and as such what they will be looking for is BIG mistakes. By that I mean expensive ones! :laughing:

You clearly know that you need to take your turns wide, and along with that positioning is important as you approach a turn. So if going left, get over to the right hand side of your lane, and visa versa… When it comes to maneuvering and reversing, it’s not going to be about nailing it first time and impressing them, it’s going to be about being careful and cautious. So if at all unsure you stop, (handbrake on and out of gear) get out and have a look. If you think it’s a bit tight, pull out and start again…

Basically they want to see that you have the right attitude, not that you’re Gods gift to driving as we both know you won’t be! :laughing:

Best of luck! :smiley:

I have only worked for two firms, my first assessment drive I did on my own (i.e. Got given a set of keys at my 2nd interview)

Next place (where I am now) knew I hadn’t driven class 1 since the day I passed my test, and to be fair it was more like a lesson than a test.

Bob who took me out was brilliant, and even though I breezed the reverse he gave me to do, as I was bricking it, he arranged for it, that if I passed the interview, I’d get 2 days with his fellow trainer (Bob was actually retiring from the company the next day) and it all got sorted.

Rucks of reversing practice, all manner of scenarios, laden as well as empty, and more trailer changes than you could shake a stick at.

Definitely gave me a good start.

I’m sure they’re not out to catch you out bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:
From what you say, you shouldn’t really have anything to worry about. They know you are new and will probably make mistakes, and as such what they will be looking for is BIG mistakes. By that I mean expensive ones! :laughing:

You clearly know that you need to take your turns wide, and along with that positioning is important as you approach a turn. So if going left, get over to the right hand side of your lane, and visa versa… When it comes to maneuvering and reversing, it’s not going to be about nailing it first time and impressing them, it’s going to be about being careful and cautious. So if at all unsure you stop, (handbrake on and out of gear) get out and have a look. If you think it’s a bit tight, pull out and start again…

Basically they want to see that you have the right attitude, not that you’re Gods gift to driving as we both know you won’t be! :laughing:

Best of luck! :smiley:

Cheers for the input evil,as always pal. Youre ■■■■ straight im not Gods gift to driving lol,ive got so much to learn!!!

Ill be sure just to take my time and think about what im doing. The recruiter did say that the worst the assessor will say if im not quite up to scratch is i may need more experience before going class 1 alone. But in that event shell have some class c work for me anyway. Ill need to earn my stripes whatever happens and with any luck ill be a full timer next year.

Got plenty of revision which they provided for the theory part too,it seems a bit more complicated than the actual theory test was,which was a bit of a joke imo compared to what you actually need to know.

Ill update with how i got on when the time comes anyway.

PaulNowak:
I have only worked for two firms, my first assessment drive I did on my own (i.e. Got given a set of keys at my 2nd interview)

Next place (where I am now) knew I hadn’t driven class 1 since the day I passed my test, and to be fair it was more like a lesson than a test.

Bob who took me out was brilliant, and even though I breezed the reverse he gave me to do, as I was bricking it, he arranged for it, that if I passed the interview, I’d get 2 days with his fellow trainer (Bob was actually retiring from the company the next day) and it all got sorted.

Rucks of reversing practice, all manner of scenarios, laden as well as empty, and more trailer changes than you could shake a stick at.

Definitely gave me a good start.

I’m sure they’re not out to catch you out bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats great you got off to a good start mate. Yeah i bet they wont be out to catch me out,to be fair the company im hoping to go with have been really supportive so far with wanting to give me a chance and providing me with revision to go through. Hopefully this is the break i need. Hard to believe ive had my class c licence for nearly a year now looking back.

Its just a shame im in no position to quit my full time job at the mo so i can give my HGV work more time,■■■■ mortgage!

GhostRider17:
Cheers for the input evil,as always pal. Youre ■■■■ straight im not Gods gift to driving lol,ive got so much to learn!!!

You’re welcome mate, and at my age :wink: I firmly believe any assessment or interview is not about ability, it’s all about attitude…
Anyone who goes in thinking they have something to prove on how much they know is destined for a fall, and it’s far better to accept (which is easier said than done, especially when you’re young) that you know next to F all about the game, but want to learn.

So in my opinion don’t try to impress, be humble (play the Newbie card) and ask question after question…

Hence I think you’ll be fine mate! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

You’re welcome mate, and at my age :wink: I firmly believe any assessment or interview is not about ability, it’s all about attitude…
Anyone who goes in thinking they have something to prove on how much they know is destined for a fall, and it’s far better to accept (which is easier said than done, especially when you’re young) that you know next to F all about the game, but want to learn.

So in my opinion don’t try to impress, be humble (play the Newbie card) and ask question after question…

We just took someone on with zero experience, but his attitude was spot on the money! So I’d say you are bang on there!

F-reds:

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

We just took someone on with zero experience, but his attitude was spot on the money! So I’d say you are bang on there!

Yep, and I bet you don’t care about a possible silly question, the fact that it was asked and clarified is the important bit!
It shows that person is thinking and trying, rather than just grunting and trying to hide the fact they know F all… :unamused:

We all knew F all when we started! :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

+1 and that applies to most job interviews/ assessments imo. If you get an interview after sending out your cv, then the cv tells them you could be right for the job so it’s much about you as a person - are you someone who could get on well with others/ team player etc. I used to work in another discipline and had to take on new people now and again and my approach was to look into their attitude far more than their aptitude… it’s easier to train a ‘young pup’ up to the standard you are looking for rather than trying to knock out the wrong attitude in an old ‘dog’.

From the sounds of it, you’ll be ok, be yourself and good luck.

Cheers for all the advice guys,really appreciate it. Hope the assessment goes well and its a great chance to get into driving properly for me as its so close and they seem really helpful. Ill be sure to show interest and ask lots of questions too,theres so much to learn!!

Well ive had to call and cancel my assessement drive,ive caught the flu and can barely stand up let alone drive an hgv. I was really looking forward to it and took a days holiday especially. Typical,im having no luck with starting out driving. I can have another one with them next friday afternoon though.

Ive got my assessment drive this afternoon finally. Still recovering from a respiratory infection and dont feel 100% but theres no way im cancelling again.

Ill let you guys know how i get on.

Best of luck mate!!!

Let us know how you got on!

Well that didnt go the way i hoped.

I didnt even get out on the road. Theory quiz,Coupling up and safety checks went great. Then the guy asked to see my reversing before we headed out onto the road. Despite it being an easy reverse i totally screwed it up numerous times and with the experienced truckers watching me and my head spinning cause of this crap infection i just couldnt get my head straight. Even managed to jack knife it once too.

Really makes me realise that the reverse on the test around nicely laid out cones with handy indicators is an absolute joke compared to real world reversing in a real yard with other trucks and shunters driving around. He was a really good bloke though but was honest and said my reversing really needed some work so he wouldnt waste my time going out on the road.

Im way out of practise having never even driven a class c since passing my c+e back in may. Not entirely sure what to do as i have a reliable job at the mo that pays pretty well for what i do but i cant afford to take a chance full time with HGVs as i really want some experience first and being a newbie its pretty hard.

Think i may try and save for a while and do a refresher course in the new year or even find some weekend work somewhere which is harder than i thought it would be.

GhostRider17:
I didnt even get out on the road. Theory quiz,Coupling up and safety checks went great. Then the guy asked to see my reversing before we headed out onto the road. Despite it being an easy reverse i totally screwed it up numerous times and with the experienced truckers watching me and my head spinning cause of this crap infection i just couldnt get my head straight. Even managed to jack knife it once too.

Personally I don’t think that is very fair! :imp:

They knew you were inexperienced and gave you no chance to get comfortable, basically setting you up for a fall, and to boot humiliated you in front of all the other drivers…

Of course you’ll be crap at reversing if you’ve only got your test reverse under your belt, and couple that with being under the weather, it’s a recipe for disaster. So don’t be too hard on yourself mate, as I think a decent firm would have let you do a bit of a drive to get comfortable and then do some reversing in a secluded location.

Chin up and crack on pal! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

They knew you were inexperienced and gave you no chance to get comfortable, basically setting you up for a fall, and to boot humiliated you in front of all the other drivers…

Of course you’ll be crap at reversing if you’ve only got your test reverse under your belt, and couple that with being under the weather, it’s a recipe for disaster. So don’t be too hard on yourself mate, as I think a decent firm would have let you do a bit of a drive to get comfortable and then do some reversing in a secluded location.

Cheers Evil,always nice to get some input from an experienced driver. He did seem an OK guy though and wished me all the best. I guess it was a terrible time to do an assessment though with everybody finishing and standing around watching. I was also told that im welcome to go for another assessment once ive had more experience.

Im a bit gutted though,really wanted that job and i would have defo considered going full time if things would have worked out. He did say he wished that the company would take new drivers on as “trainees” on a reduced hourly rate but they have no time for training. Its a massive corporation type firm though so i should have known theyd be strict with the assessments.

Problem ive got now though is how do i get experience? Ive applied at loads of haulers near me in a 30 mile radius but all of them need me to have had my licence for 2 years and agencies seem to just want to get arses on seats and place new drivers in experienced drivers positions way out their league. With a mortgage to pay i really cant risk leaving my reliable job unless its a fairly safe bet which is unheard of nowadays. Itll have to be alternate weekend shifts.

GhostRider17:

Evil8Beezle:

GhostRider17:

Cheers Evil,always nice to get some input from an experienced driver. He did seem an OK guy though and wished me all the best. I guess it was a terrible time to do an assessment though with everybody finishing and standing around watching. I was also told that im welcome to go for another assessment once ive had more experience.

Im a bit gutted though,really wanted that job and i would have defo considered going full time if things would have worked out. He did say he wished that the company would take new drivers on as “trainees” on a reduced hourly rate but they have no time for training. Its a massive corporation type firm though so i should have known theyd be strict with the assessments.

Problem ive got now though is how do i get experience? Ive applied at loads of haulers near me in a 30 mile radius but all of them need me to have had my licence for 2 years and agencies seem to just want to get arses on seats and place new drivers in experienced drivers positions way out their league. With a mortgage to pay i really cant risk leaving my reliable job unless its a fairly safe bet which is unheard of nowadays. Itll have to be alternate weekend shifts.

Sadly mate I’m a bit concerned for your confidence now, and wonder if given another chance you’d put too muc pressure on yourself and make a meal of the reverse again because of what’s gone before. We were all crap and made a hash of it when we started, some of us were just luckier than others as we were at places that appreciated Newbies are crap, or came up through VAN driving and got a bit of leeway as long as we were cautious and therefore safe with our reversing.

My advice is try to get the odd agency shift, maybe on a weekend night trunk. There don’t tend to have much in the way of reversing, but overall familiarity with the truck will help get you comfortable for when the time comes. And if you find a quiet secluded empty spot, you’ll have the chance to make a ■■■ of yourself, all on your lonesome! :laughing:

Im a bit concerned with my confidence too pal lol,was a bit of a kick in the nuts but looking back i didn’t give myself a good starting position,but with my head spinning and the truckers watching i just couldn’t focus. Completely different to the test centre reverse where there’s some nice little cones to guide you and the only person watching is just the instructor or the examiner.

I’m just going to have to get some experience whenever i can with agencies. Like you said weekend night work would be good and to be honest being a night trunker is pretty much my dream job,i’m a night owl truth be told. I’m really not interested in tramping though,mainly because i’m not married lol.

On the plus side i dont think my attitudes too far off,i’m in no way big headed with my licence and realise its ■■■■ hard skilled work,i honesty watch in awe at all the experienced drivers getting the monster artics in a tight bay and i’ve got so much to learn but ill need to earn my stripes and start small.

Despite the people i work with in my regular job (butchers factory) believing you pass your test and off you go,youre a qualified trucker and everyone wants to employ you as there’s “a huge driver shortage” with the country coming to a standstill soon, while seeing all the signs they see posted along the A1 asking for c+e drivers and stating £20 an hour,i know the reality of it since before i even took my tests.

Cheers for the advice mate,ill have to sign up with more agencies and get the odd shift in. I really wouldn’t mind VAN driving for a while to get my road confidence up but id defo prefer class 1 experience if i had the chance. Hopefully after a bit of experience I can maybe look into going full time later in the new year,i live in hope anyway.

A refresher course would be a good idea shortly before an assessment drive, but in honesty the art of reversing comes only with a lot of practice and repetition. You need to land regular driving work first, hopefully out of a big yard where you can learn the art relatively safely.

Have you thought about going part-time? Keep doing what you’re doing to ensure a level of regular income, but free up a couple of days per week to go out on agency driving work? Most agencies are looking for experience, of course, but there are some who have clients who will take on rookies. Keep calling them until you find one who does.

Confidence comes with time, not with the licence, and to lack confidence at the start is a good sign that you are aware of your limitations. If you can make sure that your competence stays one step ahead of your confidence at all times then you’ll do just fine.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

ORC:
A refresher course would be a good idea shortly before an assessment drive, but in honesty the art of reversing comes only with a lot of practice and repetition. You need to land regular driving work first, hopefully out of a big yard where you can learn the art relatively safely.

Have you thought about going part-time? Keep doing what you’re doing to ensure a level of regular income, but free up a couple of days per week to go out on agency driving work? Most agencies are looking for experience, of course, but there are some who have clients who will take on rookies. Keep calling them until you find one who does.

Confidence comes with time, not with the licence, and to lack confidence at the start is a good sign that you are aware of your limitations. If you can make sure that your competence stays one step ahead of your confidence at all times then you’ll do just fine.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input mate,some very wise words there.

I wish i could afford to go part time,but with living by myself and with a mortgage i could only do alternate weekend shifts except for holidays. My boss would get awkward about it though but i will defo keep it as an option,especially in the new year where jan-march is dead for work in my job,possibly just like driving though. I really do need a reliable income at the moment and with the state our corrupt countries in i cant risk a leap of faith.

Much of the problem though is that my hourly rate in my present job is actually pretty good for what i do and its better paid hourly than the bulk of class 2 work in this area. If i was on minimum wage id be out like a shot and would just do whatever driving work i could. I think once i find a reliable agency that can guarantee me a couple of days a week at least then ill be speaking to my boss and see if we can work something out.

A refresher course is a good idea provided it wasnt too expensive. The place i had the assessment drive with told me i was free to go back for another assessment once id had more experience but i havent a clue when that would be especially with needing to get better at reversing. Looking back now if id have waited and given myself chance to shift this crappy infection and gave myself more room at the start of the reverse i might have been ok,but whats done is done.

I dont regret getting my licences at all but wish there was an easy way of getting started. Theres a few places around here i havent tried yet including a couple of recycling firms near me that mainly use rigids so that may be worth a try. Once place (a metal recycling firm) did say he would have loved to take me on regardless of me being a newbie but his insurers would need me to have held my licence for 2 years. Im assuming things get a LITTLE easier after holding it for that time? Along with a bit of experience too of course.

I guess the best thing to do is not stress and grab some weekend shifts when i can,so long as my bills are paid and im gaining a bit of experience in the meantime when i can then ill just bide my time and see what happens. I really would love to drive hgvs for a living though,im sure the chance will come if im patient enough.