Antwerp Kennedy Tunnel CLOSED in July

There is a restriction of 2m (that means us truckers) at ANTWERP on the Kennedy tunnel for the whole of July due to roadworks. Alternative route via Liekenshoek tunnel is a 15 euro toll. Brussels alternative now a slow crawl as a result too.

thats nice of them time to say hello to lille then

Wasn’t too bad last Sunday towards Brussels lost about 20 mins in total. My colleague was heading to Holland and went via the Liekenshoek tunnel and had no hold ups at all. I’m heading to Holland on Sunday evening from Calais and think I’ll be going via Liekenshoek.

For a small fee I can offer an alternative :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to use the Breskens Ferry if I was going North to places like Hamburg or Denmark, This service has now closed and a catamaran is running in its place.

However, due to the wonders of modern science:

The new Westerscheldetunnel

The Westerscheldetunnel was opened by Queen Beatrix on March 14, 2003. The tunnel provides a shorter route by car or lorry from England via the Channel ports or Channel tunnel to the west of The Netherlands v.v.
The new toll tunnel is the longest road tunnel in the Netherlands and means no more queuing for the ferry; from now on one can reach the other side of the Westerschelde river within 5 minutes.
The central location of the tunnel ensures a fast connection to the road network in Zeeland, Flanders and the west of Brabant. For travellers from England taking the Westerscheldetunnel also gets you faster to Amsterdam en other towns is the Randstad via Gent, Terneuzen and Goes.

It is expected that the tunnel route will become an axis of economic development connecting towns and cities such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Vlissingen, Terneuzen, Gent and Rijssel (Lille) more directly with each other. The Westerscheldetunnel will also offer new opportunities for business, creating new markets, giving people more flexibility, as it shortens distances and generates more turnover in this area of Zeeland.

Longest Tunnel in The Netherlands

At 6.6 km (just over 4 miles) in length, the Westerscheldetunnel connecting Terneuzen in Zeeuwsch-Vlaanderen with Goes on Zuid-Beveland is the longest road tunnel in The Netherlands. The tunnel replaces the 2 current ferry connections, Vlissingen-Breskens and Kruiningen-Perkpolder.
It is a Category I toll tunnel, which means that it is intended for all passenger and freight traffic (with the exception of the bulk transport of LPG, radioactive materials and explosives).

The tunnel’s maximum usable height is 4.5 metres. A detection system has been installed before the tunnel entrance that prevents vehicles that are too tall from entering and diverts them via separate service roads.
The maximum permitted speed in the tunnel is 100 kph (about 62 mph). Slow traffic, like cyclists, mopeds, tractors etc. is not allowed in the tunnel. The tunnel has a gradient of 4.5%. To help to keep the traffic flowing smoothly, lorries must keep to the right-hand lane.

Safety and Security

Safety was given the highest priority in the construction of the tunnel, making the Westerscheldetunnel one of the safest in Europe. The tunnel as a whole consists of two separate tunnel tubes, each with two lanes. This means there is no oncoming traffic, which rules out the risk of head-on collisions.

Comprehensive security measures also contribute to this safety. There is continuous monitoring by a tunnel operator, assisted by modern equipment such as cameras, detection apparatus, traffic signals and emergency assistance posts. Transverse connections every 250 m guarantee a safe evacuation route in case of an emergency. The tunnel operator is the road user’s first point-of-contact. Depending on the situation, he can call in the tunnel maintenance service, breakdown services or the emergency services.

A great deal of care goes into fire prevention. Apart from the 250m safety evacuation routes there are brightly-lit emergency assistance posts every 50 m, equipped with a dry powder fire extinguisher, a fire hose and an intercom for direct contact with the tunnel operator.

The fire brigades of Terneuzen and Borsele have been provided with specially adapted ‘rapid-intervention vehicles’ including special cameras to trace victims.
Recently the both fire brigades travelled to the tunnel fires training centre in Sargans in Switzerland. Practical experience was gained in techniques to tackle various situations in tunnel tube fires.

A clear toll structure

The authorities have set up a toll structure which is clear, simple and, above all, competitive. The basic toll fee for cars is € 4,00. The toll fee for lorries has been set at € 15,00. Regular users can get a hefty 25% discount off the basic toll fee with a t-tag subscription!

The toll fee structure encompasses 4 categories, based on the length and height of the vehicles. The 2.50-metre height serves to distinguish between cars and lorries. The length determines whether the vehicle has a trailer.

Category 1: vehicles with a length = 6 metres and a height = 2.50 metres.
(cars, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, people carriers and minibuses — all without trailers).

Category 2: vehicles with a length > 6 metres and a height = 2.50 metres.
(most of the vehicles in Category 1 with trailer).

Category 3: vehicles with a length = 12 metres and a height > 2.50 metres
Category 4: vehicles with a length > 12 metres, height > 2.50 metres

The toll fee structure is per passage in euros, incl. 19% VAT:

Category 1: basic toll fee = € 4,00; regular user: € 3,00
Category 2: basic toll fee = € 6,00; regular user: € 4,50
Category 3: basic toll fee = € 15,00; regular user: € 11,25
Category 4: basic toll fee = € 20,00; regular user: € 15,00

Trucks attempting to use the Kennedy Tunnel (yes they are still giving it a go) are pulled over and fined 50 euros.
Liefskenshoektunnel can be paid with the majority of fuel cards and delays are minimum.

westerscheldetunnel.nl/index … age=en&….

web address for that tunnel

Wheel Nut:
The new Westerscheldetunnel

Cor blimey! I didn’t know it was there! It is not cheap though at £13.70 for my truck.
Lille, Charleroi, Liege for the next month for me if doing Germany!

Glad this forum is here to learn something new!

That’s a wise decision Ossie but sadly not one I can use on Sunday. :frowning: :frowning:

Alternative Calais-Jabbeke-Brussels-Liege shouldn´t be too bad on a Sunday if you don´t leave it till too late in the afternoon

That’s my usual way Vasco, and it wasn’t too bad last week, but I have a first drop in Wijchen so have to get to Holland this week.

Does complicate things a bit then :slight_smile: