Antifreeze

Hi, Not sure if this is in the right forum or not but thought I would try anyway… I have a 2001 Daf LF and I need to top up the coolant. What antifreeze should I use? is it specific for trucks or can I just get some blue stuff from halfords and mix that in?

Thanks

Shaun

what colour is the antifreeze that’s in there at the moment ?

you can get all sort’s of anti freeze, green, red, blue and other’s

red (orange when mixed), and blue are the the most common one’s out there.

blue is just bog standard anti freeze. ok for 99% of applictions.

red anti freeze, has OAT in it, organic acid technolegy, to help against internal rusting, etc, the 2 should never be mixed

when topping up, idealy you should use disstaled/de-ironised water, when topping up, but normal tap water will be ok.

Denis F:
what colour is the antifreeze that’s in there at the moment ?

Umm good question, I topped it up before with tap water as the header tank was empty… Had a hole in the top and when under preasure water was coming out… It looked more like a rust colour as though there was no antifreeze in at all… Ive not had it that long… Is it easy to drain and re fill it compleatly?

Shaunm41:
Hi, Not sure if this is in the right forum or not but thought I would try anyway… I have a 2001 Daf LF and I need to top up the coolant. What antifreeze should I use? is it specific for trucks or can I just get some blue stuff from halfords and mix that in?

Thanks

Shaun

You should be running it all year round these days. DAF recommend Ethylene Glycol

Other types do no mix well, coolant will last for up to 5 years but you should check it with a hydrometer for strength.

Just read your latest post, antifreeze is searching, so if water leaks out, antifreeze will ■■■■ out. Can you get a pressure tester on it before wasting your money literally pouring it down a drain?

pressure testing for leaks is a good idea, but do not delay putting antifreeze in as it is cheaper than an engine, even if you do it three times, a hydrometer is available from halfords for a couple of pounds well worth the money and will test both types of antifreeze so you can check your car as well, most trucks run with antifreeze all year as it contains inhibitors to fend off electrolysis which is corrosion between two differing metals like a cast iron block and chrome piston liners as well as cooling the engine better in the summer. dont skimp on the amount you put in as the temp whilst driving will be much lower then the air temp stood still.

if you havent had it long get it all drained out and fill it up with new stuff

2001 daf just use regular “blue” antifreeze wont do it any harm.

Thanks for the replys… I will defo invest in a hydrometer… Does anyone have an idea on where I would drain the system? I will just drain it and use regular blue for now, gotta be better than nowt… Would it be a 50/50 mix for winter?

take the pipe off the bottom of the radiator is the quickest & easiest way to drain it. when you fill it up take it on a good run to get uit up to temperature & then re check the level as it will mos likley have dropped.

aye a 50 50 mix will do :wink:

On most dafs theres a blue drain Plug on the bottom of the rad just take the header tank cap off first to aid draining