Anti Lorry Brigade

So I drove 4 hours to my drop. Tipped, then fancied a sandwich and a bottle of coke so stopped at the local co-op before rejoining the M4 out of Wales.

Fair enough I did stop on a single yellow, but as I’m about to get out of my cab an irate fellow marches up from the bus stop opposite and tells me I can’t park there as it is in front of his house. After registering my baffled look he goes on to tell me that … “if you park there all I can see is a bloody big wall of white outside my window. What if someone I know walks past? I wont see them”…

I mentioned that since he was in a bus stop waiting for a bus it shouldn’t matter that he may not be able to see out of his house window for 5 minutes or so, but this simply made him turn purple and threaten to call the police and report me to my boss.

Out of respect for the chaps old age and obvious specialness I moved 100 feet down the road and continued to buy my sandwich although I was shocked at the pure aggression from him. If I’d stopped up in a ford fiesta it wouldn’t have mattered. If I had been doing a delivery then I would have politely told him to ■■■■ off, but because I was only buying a sarnie I chickened out. He didn’t moan at the other cars stopping on single yellows. Why the truck hate?

It was a lovely Tuna Mayo btw :slight_smile:

Tell the old ■■■■■■ to take one.

I would have let him call the rozzers, because by the time they got there, (They wouldn’t have come out for that.) you would have been long gone anyhow, and then it would have been your word against his. Same if he phoned your boss. (Although a decent boss would have told him to swivel as well.)

What restrictions were placed along the single yellow? Did you see an accompanying plate on a pole? I would have gone to look for one, seen what it said, and if you were not breaking the law, tell him to get ■■■■■■.

Best thing to do with people like that, is just to ignore tham when you walk away.

Ken.

Was it in Wales? I live there and they do have pavements between the road and the houses so he would have still been able to perve on the children as they walked past. You should have told him that you will move when he is removed from the ■■■ offenders register :laughing: gotta be suspicious of these folks that perv out of there windows all day.

LOL it was in Taffs Well just before the zig zags. Like I say if I was delivering I would have refused to move, but at the time I was so ■■■■■■ by his venom that I moved on. Parked outside another house … same distance walk … just goes to illustrate the dislike of trucks in our villages. Hey, I’m just doing my job!

One of our drivers has been asked not to take his 8wheeler home at lunchtime because a neighbour objects to the “dirty great thing” parked outside her house (and his btw). Note our TM has only asked and not told him as the housing estate is only about 2miles from our quarry, and is not subject to weight restrictions.

1 of my neighbours throws a wobbly if i take the wagon home when i am on dinner or skiving, wouldnt mind but i dont pass their house or park outside their house.

Was at a drop yesterday, its a back alley on double yellows, we have an ‘agreement’ with the traffic wardens that were to do the job, anyway some irate ponce decides they cannot use the next alleyway and have to use this, after a few polite exchanges :wink: we had abit of an audience, he said he would ring the Police to which I replied “ring 999 and ask for Juliet Bravo”, the audience started laughing, 1 guy started clapping and the irate ponce shouts something like ‘You havnt heard the last of this’ and reversed off in a strop :laughing:

Seems the only people who object are those who live in identical barratt homes who dont want their view of the barratt home opposite them obscured.

I guarantee if you parked an expensive merc or bmw or audi outside they would be happy as it raises the tone.

But a dirty working class truck brings down the image of their identikit street.

Its a class thing and us lorry drivers are seen as people who failed all their GCSE’s so took up lorry driving for a living. :smiling_imp:

I passed all my GCSEs but didn’t fancy doing worthwhile courses like Sports Science, Media Studies and Leisure and Tourism…

I can understand guy’s worries.

I used to live in ground floor and one of my neihgbours used to park his sprinter luton van right in front of my window, blocking all the light.

But it all can be solved on the civlilsed platform, I asked him and explained and he never parked there again even if he had to walk 300 m to his van. I bought him a nice bottle for that when I was moving out.

I can’t even be arsed to argue or try and reason with people anymore, I used to get it all the time on multi drop work in a rigid and an artic. I just pretend to be polish, point to the phone number on the door of the wagon and get on with what I gotta do :grimacing:

FarnboroughBoy11:
I can’t even be arsed to argue or try and reason with people anymore, I used to get it all the time on multi drop work in a rigid and an artic. I just pretend to be polish, point to the phone number on the door of the wagon and get on with what I gotta do :grimacing:

So that’s why our opinion gets worse and worse :frowning:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Must try that some time … nod and smile and say ‘me no spreken igrish so fricken auf mister’ :stuck_out_tongue:

All I wanted was a sandwich though. Supporting local economy and all that ffs

orys:

FarnboroughBoy11:

In Truth Orys you were one of only 3 Polish driver working for UK companies, the rest of them were British drivers who really couldn’t be asked to get into a conversation with the gobby driver we all meet at Tea bar, RDC waiting room or cafe. Sadly I always sounded more like Borat. :blush:
Niiicee!! You want meet my sister, she worth many cows. :laughing:

I remember when i was with Travis Perkins i was delivering to some residential area in a little daf 7.5 tonner, I remember this oldish guy walking past and pretending to walk into the passenger door mirror and holding his head :confused: For a second I thought he was mucking about but suddenly he went off on one about how I shouldn’t be parking there and that lorries should be banned etc etc and was gonna call up and complain :imp:

I was caught off guard for a few seconds, then the red mist descended and I let rip with some abuse of my own, cant remember exactly, didn’t threaten the guy just started ranting on, something like why was he picking on the hard working while I’m paying his pension etc. Then I went all political, blaming zbs like him for ruining this country and letting all the foreigners in, putting wages down, destroying the planet, you name it it was all down to him :laughing: I remember chasing him up the road as he tried to get away from my political tirade, guess he bit off more than he could chew, so funny thinking back :grimacing:

Grayham:
I remember when i was with Travis Perkins i was delivering to some residential area in a little daf 7.5 tonner, I remember this oldish guy walking past and pretending to walk into the passenger door mirror and holding his head :confused: For a second I thought he was mucking about but suddenly he went off on one about how I shouldn’t be parking there and that lorries should be banned etc etc and was gonna call up and complain :imp:

I was caught off guard for a few seconds, then the red mist descended and I let rip with some abuse of my own, cant remember exactly, didn’t threaten the guy just started ranting on, something like why was he picking on the hard working while I’m paying his pension etc. Then I went all political, blaming zbs like him for ruining this country and letting all the foreigners in, putting wages down, destroying the planet, you name it it was all down to him :laughing: I remember chasing him up the road as he tried to get away from my political tirade, guess he bit off more than he could chew, so funny thinking back :grimacing:

Similar thing different time.

Drive shaft snapped in a van and I rolled back on to pavement so as not to block the road. Some old gimmer hobbled past and gave me a filthy look cos he had to take a different route. Explained to him I had broken down and it just made him moar angry.

My theory is when someone has it in their head that you have done them wrong then they will pull out all the stops to make you feel like you have done wrong even if you have tried to be reasonable with them and there is simply no arguing with them. Maybe they know their argument lacks substance so they have to resort to rudeness. I just dont know.

Grayham:
he went off on one about how I shouldn’t be parking there and that lorries should be banned etc etc and was gonna call up and complain :imp:

Untill he wants an extension! If i have to block up a road, my rule is, as soon as them legs are down, i aint going nowhere untill the load is off.

As for my encounters with grandpas, I had one who was attacking my truck with his walking stick. He was very annoyed as it was written “Build Center” on it, and he said that it’s american way of spelling and it should say “Build Centre” :wink:

orys:
As for my encounters with grandpas, I had one who was attacking my truck with his walking stick. He was very annoyed as it was written “Build Center” on it, and he said that it’s american way of spelling and it should say “Build Centre” :wink:

That’s alright Orys just pretent to be Polish it’s what the rest of us do. :laughing:

There’s a close that i deliver to reguarly, its only a hundred yds or so long so i back into the top and walk to whatever house i’m delivering to. So as i’m not blocking anyones driveways i park on one side of the road at the side of a house that is on the adjoining road, everytime the guy in the house i’m parked outside appears before i’ve even got out of the cab complaining i’m blocking his light etc, the people in the close all know him and his complaints and laugh everytime they see him.

orys:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Well ok polish was just an expression, i should of said I pretend to be “foreign”. I doubt many people can tell the nationality of someone just by looking at them :wink: