Another "what's this police vehicle I saw?" thread

Going anti clockwise on the M25 last night, and I see the entry slip at J9 blocked off by lots of blue lights at the top, and two stationary police motorbikes halfway down. Then at the bottom of the sliproad, with his nearside wheels in the slip lane, and his offside wheels in the 1st lane, and crawling at walking pace, was a small police DAF LF hookloader. Think of a Biffa lorry without a bin on, and that’s what it looked like. It had police markings and flashing blue lights, and the whole thing had me scratching my head

Anybody any idea what the lorry is used for, and why it might have been crawling, straddling the slip lane and 1st lane?

Weird that the gantries said nothing approaching either. I just came upon it. Must’ve been about 10pm-ish.

ezydriver:
Going anti clockwise on the M25 last night, and I see the entry slip at J9 blocked off by lots of blue lights at the top, and two stationary police motorbikes halfway down. Then at the bottom of the sliproad, with his nearside wheels in the slip lane, and his offside wheels in the 1st lane, and crawling at walking pace, was a small police DAF LF hookloader. Think of a Biffa lorry without a bin on, and that’s what it looked like. It had police markings and flashing blue lights, and the whole thing had me scratching my head

Anybody any idea what the lorry is used for, and why it might have been crawling, straddling the slip lane and 1st lane?

Weird that the gantries said nothing approaching either. I just came upon it. Must’ve been about 10pm-ish.

It’s a flatbed with a HIAB on it, use it for recovery.

Maybe for recovering a car that’s evidence of some sort rather than just been smashed.

Something like this ■■

ezydriver:

Ask next time your in an RDC Job done

“A Biffa lorry without a bin on” :laughing: :laughing:

Suedehead:

Strange, but true.

flickr.com/photos/wyliefox/17377942899

Pretty sure it wasn’t a hiab, it was ore of a hook loader. But robthedog’s right, I’ll just wait until I’ an an RDC and ask around. I’ sure somebody would have done Pakistan in one.

ezydriver:

Suedehead:

Strange, but true.

flickr.com/photos/wyliefox/17377942899

Pretty sure it wasn’t a hiab, it was ore of a hook loader. But robthedog’s right, I’ll just wait until I’ an an RDC and ask around. I’ sure somebody would have done Pakistan in one.

I don’t think Biffa ever done a run to Pakistan but I could be proved wrong

The Police use them in
Edinburgh for non payment of parking fines

I assume the OP is referring to a ro-ro truck in police guise. I’m sure the fire service use them so wouldn’t be beyond the realm of imagination for police to also have some. Used for ships to clean up spilled loads or even to drop off a mobile command centre or other items that can be used at the scene. I wouldn’t call a recovery truck with hiab a hook loader. That’s what I assume the OP is meaning anyway.

As already stated, it’s probably a mobile command post/welfare unit for major incidents. Wagon turns up, drops of pod and leaves.

simcor:
I assume the OP is referring to a ro-ro truck in police guise. I’m sure the fire service use them so wouldn’t be beyond the realm of imagination for police to also have some. Used for skips to clean up spilled loads or even to drop off a mobile command centre or other items that can be used at the scene. I wouldn’t call a recovery truck with hiab a hook loader. That’s what I assume the OP is meaning anyway.