Another Week of Experience!

Well I’ve been lucky again this week to get a full weeks work through the agency and what a week of experiences its been. I’ve learned loads again this week with the highlight being my first stop by VOSA :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It all started on Monday night when I get a call from the agency asking if I wanted to do a night out :smiley: Happy days I thought and that was until I arrived at the yard the very next morning at 04:30. My truck was a Y reg DAF CF which looked like it had done more miles than the starship enterprise - It really did look a state. So I did my usual vehicle check and discovered that the marker lights down the offside were all out so I called the boss of the business. He asked me to just overlook this and take it anyway which I obviously declined so he arranged for his mechanic to turn out :unamused:

At 05:00 a very unhappy mechanic turns up and after 30 minutes decides that it can’t be fixed and said that i would just have to take it as it was. I laughed and said see you later then and grabbed my gear as there was no way i was going out bent :frowning: Amazingly 10 minutes later they were working so after wiping as much of the interior clean as I could it was off to pick up my load. This is where I discovered that it was handball to 200 wheel barrows and 500 incinerators that had to be delivered all over East Anglia :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The first day went OK with no problems and I stayed in the Truck Park on the A14 in Ipswich which was pretty good :smiley:

I set off the next morning and after about 15 minutes on the road a VOSA VW Sharan pulled in front of me with a message saying “Vehicle Check Follow Me” on his flashing headboard :open_mouth: I can honestly say that I ■■■■ myself as this truck was a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and they were bound to find something wrong with it :frowning: About a mile down the road after he had pulled me off of the dual carriageway he got out and asked me to follow him the the weighbridge so that they could inspect the truck! He asked me if the thing actually had an MOT :open_mouth: We arrived at the weighbridge where amazingly things turned for the better. After checking on their computer it turned out that the truck had passed its MOT only 3 weeks before and as such they just kicked the tyres and commented on the poor state of its bodywork. They then proceed to check all of my tacho records and I passed with flying colours :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: - Oh yes someone was looking after me that day!!!

I can honestly say that I learned as an agency driver you need to stick by your guns when a truck has defects and not to take it out. Had i of taken the truck as they suggested I would have ended up with a massive fine or even worse! I also learnt that I must check in future exactly what each job really involves from the agency first before committing to it.

Since getting back and for the past 2 days I’ve been delivering steel which again has given me some great experience. You really need to use every gear when the weights on :wink: I have been on more weigh bridges than i can remember and to make it even better the company that I have been working for has a great bunch of blokes who have helped me every step of the way :smiley:

These are just my ramblings for this week and i think it will help any new or wannabe driver see that there is work out there and also there is far more to driving a truck than just driving it - if that makes sense :confused:

Oh well its a weekend off now so lets see what next week brings :smiley: Happy days :smiley:

great stuff :sunglasses: glad you stuck to your guns

Well done Matey! Its your License at the end of the day ay! Goodstuff :wink:

m4rky:
I can honestly say that I learned as an agency driver you need to stick by your guns when a truck has defects and not to take it out.

Well done, This is something I train right from the theory stage I just wish more people would do it, your licence cost you money don’t let others put it at risk.