Another week (july 08)

Stunning photos

Have copied one of my old diaries , from around july last year.

First i would like to point out this is a diary of my working week (or as my other half puts it , one of my wee storys).

It is not a beginners guide to timber/general haulage !.

Also some pictures show loads that are only partially secured (usually the pics are taken as the job is being done).

Monday-The weekends seem to be getting shorter , been told its just because I’m getting older but don’t believe that lol.
Kick off today is 4.30 am , pick up my trailer and head off for the paper mill at Workington.
First stop is Bothwell services on the M74, check some wheel nuts on the trailer and have the second cup of coffee of the day.
This spotless motor is parked across from me (would like to see the guy after a day in the forest ).

As i am finishing my cuppa i am joined by this dubious character

We have a bit of a natter as we head south (greg goes for fuel and i continue on my way).
I arrive at the paper mill in time for the machine men to knock off for tea (so i have my half hour break as well).

Once tipped i head back to carlisle to reload roofing tiles , a load for Glasgow.

An absolute topper of a load (two nets and a crosser over the back and i am on my way.
The run up the 74 is uneventful and i arrive at the delivery point just before 3pm (made good time ) .
Have the usual routine of H&H overkill that is becoming the norm when tipping and eventually the forklift starts tipping me.
Two pallets at a time means the actual tip is very quick.

When i am tipped its phone the office time and i am sent about 5mins along the road to reload with concrete piles.
I enter the yard and park to one side , don the usual PPE kit and head for the site office.
After standing 5 Min’s as if i am invisible i eventually manage to gain the attention of an office bod.
“Been here before driver”? ,my answer of “no” brings sheets and sheets of paper for me to look at and sign .
As this place is a No working at height place we are not to go on the trailer, but when i ask about removing loose concrete from the top of the load i get a shrug of shoulders.
I wait till i am called ,then reverse under the overhead crane and get my feet up (not allowed out ,so the guys load it for me ).

Once the piles are on and belted down i pull out the yard and stop to sweep the top of the load down (its ok for me to go on top when i am out the gate , not there problem if i fall off out there ).
A look at the old digi thief tells me i have just enough time to make it home.
So Monday night is spent at home (a reoccurring theme this week).

Tuesday-5.30 start today and i head for our yard in Lochgilphead.
I have been told to drop the load of piles for another of the lads to deliver and to lift one of our skelli trailers ( no floor, just timber bolsters that slide) loaded with logs for Fortwilliam.

The front bolster is very high so i decide to go through GlenCoe (bridge at connel is 13.9 so ain’t going to take any chances).
The run along Loch Fyne is a pleasure (amazing how a little sun makes the drive so much better).

The run up the glen is stunning

Strangely for this time of year the roads are dead (might be something to do with the price of fuel).

The road has been getting improved over the years but there are still some tight spots (the gorge for one)

Some of the bridges are getting renewed .

When i reach the fort i have to wait for ketch,s new FH,s to come off the weighbridge (like the different style top lights).

6 grabs and i am tipped

And heading back to Raera to load the skelli for Greg and then a flat for myself.

At the moment the sap is rising in the trees , so when they are harvested the bark peels off very easy and the wood is mega slippy.
And when loading the wood tends to slide a lot, and with no floor in the skelli the inevitable happened .
A bit of pulp slipped and

Its an occupational hazard and i have done well to have gone two years without a mark , but it still ■■■■■■ you off.
Once i get the flat loaded for Troon i head for home (again lol).

Wednesday- The loads for troon are supposed to be loaded with the buts (big end of the log) , facing one direction.
But due to the hassle loading , Colin had forgotten to do this :frowning:
So one of JST,s crane motors tips me.

I reload for Oban and run back up the 82 and then over the Rest on the 83.
While waiting at the "Temporary Lights), only been there for nearly a year LOL.
Young Will passes me (there ain’t much room lol).

I tip at Oban and head to a new job outside the village of Dalmally.
The job is high on the side of the hill.

The forwarder has a long haul to get the timber.

A load of very slippy 3m pulp for irvine.
I am home again tonight (looks like its my own bed all this week ).

Thursday- A total ■■■■■■ of a morning

Norrie and i tip at the paper mill.

I leave the front belt on in case the pulp takes off again .

Once we tip ,norrie heads back for another load of logs and i am sent for a load of brick out of Uddingston.

The bricks are shrink wrapped and banded ,so i decide i will get away with ropin the load (if there were any holes on the packing i would have netted it).

As i head to Lochgilphead i dries up
I tip the bricks and head back to the job at Succoth at Dalmally.
On the forest road you have to pass under the rail line to Oban , spooky when a train passes .

The pulp is still like greased fish to load lol.
The front bolster does not look mega neat ,but it is on the trailer.

More than can be said for the back one :frowning:

Its a total prick of a stuff to load (just slides off the back).

This time the trailer wing gets it

But with some trusty cable ties and old fashioned botching i manage to do a get you home fix

Once more i am home (could get used to this ,but don’t think Ann would agree).

Friday- Tip Irvine and then head for another load of piles.
one of out Dafs is loading ahead of me ,so i get some coffee time

This load also goes to our yard in Lochgilphead .
As i am in good time my motor goes for a safety check and two tyres on the drive axle ( got nearly 6 months from this side ).
When my motor is in the workshop i spend some time shunting trailers from the loading point in the yard.
I had this old bus when i worked with the previous company (before we were taken over ).
Although it has gone down hill since then

When my motor is done i pick a loaded trailer for carlisle and wait while Norrie gets fuel.
Monty is loading one of the empty trailers already.

Once fueled Norrie and I head home (we both stay in the same village).

Early start on Monday again

Thanks Niall (Dingo).

Great read Dingo :slight_smile:

Coincidence … I have a diary on here from exact same week

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47227

as usual a great read nial… :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Great pictures and read mate :slight_smile: :slight_smile: cheers

once again another great read and some brill photos dingo.i enjoy your stories,however,i dont think i would fancy doing your job.horses for courses i suppose.it also looks pretty hazardous,if thats the damage it can do to your truck,i would hate to see what it can do to skin and bone!.its also nice to see someone with a bit o f “can do” instead of refusing to drive it till its fixed,but i suppose in your game,you would be up the kreek without a paddle if you couldnt.
keep em coming!.

At the risk of being repetetive - excellent diary as always.

crackin read dingo another top notch diary

as others have said, another great diary, i love then pictures of scotland :sunglasses: