Another Wannabe

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing the forums for the last few weeks and soaking up the valuable information.

I am currently in a dead-end minimum wage job and have decided to bite the bullet and get some HGV training.
Change of career is most definitely needed.
Thinking of going with TruckSchool in Radstock, Somerset. They do a funded HGV course and seem to have a pretty good reputation.

I have always liked the idea of driving lorries, since I was a child in fact… (don’t know why its taken me til 32yrs old to decide).

Just wanted to say Hello and thanks in advance for any help I will undoubtedly need from you guys (and girls) in the coming months.

Cheers

Liam

LGroves84:
Thinking of going with TruckSchool in Radstock, Somerset. They do a funded HGV course

Explain ?

Have you checked out the link in my signature below ?

Hi ROG,

I will be sure to look through all your links you have there, quite an extensive list you have, thanks.

Ok so this is direct from their website:

"It’s called the Advanced Learning Loan. Don’t get the wrong idea though… This is NOT FREE training, just training you might not need to pay for out of your own pocket.

The first step is for us to apply for a government loan on your behalf to pay for a customer service Level 3 course based around your training as a HGV driver. Alongside this training and gaining these qualifications, we will help you to achieve the qualification as an HGV driver at either Class 1 or Class 2.

Here’s the great thing… You ONLY pay back this loan if you start earning over £21k per year. In this case you ONLY pay back at 9% of any salary over this £21k. As an example, earnings of £22k per year would mean you pay back just £7.50 per month. If ever you drop below the £21k salary, your repayments freeze…

So, not only will you train as an HGV driver, you will gain a nationally recognised qualification directly linked to the industry needs.​"

Don’t know if its too good to be true but its an avenue I am currently exploring as I cannot afford to pay for the course out of my own pocket in one go right now.

Hi Liam, I’m just down the road from you (in Shepton) and I too looked at that course, as funding my training is the first hurdle I face (as it is for most folk who don’t have a spare £3k lying around!)

I have to say I was uncertain about it for two reasons, the first being the 3 months you have to spend studying to get a qualification you probably don’t really want before you can get on and learn to drive, I’m far too impatient to wait that long to get on with it. And secondly, it seemed like a bit of a ‘loophole’ and I wasn’t sure that it was technically legitimate. It didn’t seem to include the vital DCPC bit of the test either, once you finally did get around to the driving!

However if anyone can put me right I’d be interested to hear too!

Sounds interesting

There is always the option of taking out a new credit card with zero percent interest for perhaps 2 years :bulb: :question:

Indigo - So what did you do for training in the end or are you still looking?
I was also a bit uncertain as you would expect there to be other companies offering this type of funded training too.

I’ m like you and just want to get on with it, credit card isn’t an option with my not so good credit history unfortunately.

Liam I’ve done a ton of research and decided that quality of training is equally if not more important than cost, so unless something spectacular comes up between now and me getting the theory done I’ll probably go with Peter Smythe. This is based on customer feedback (all seems good) historical reputation, and the fact they seem to offer a fairly personal approach and have a really decent training ground of their own. Plus I want to eventually do my CE in an artic and not all trainers can offer this. Plus I want to be good at what I do, and like most things in life that often comes down to how well you were taught in the first place.

I’ll be looking at dragging in every favour I can to come up with the money, and will be in hock to everyone I know, but the way I look at it as soon as you start earning you just prioritise the extra income towards paying off any accrued debts, it is after all an investment in the future, and if you, like me, have been scraping along on the bones of yer a*se you’re probably not living an exuberant lifestyle so would be able to quickly clear any finance.

As to some of the ‘assistance’ schemes I’ve seen, hmmm call me cynical but if it’s too good to be true it probably is!

This is just my own jaded opinion, I would be interested to hear others feedback though!

Well make sure you keep us updated on your progress and good luck to you.

I am in the early stages of research so just trying to gauge what the best approach is, I would like to stay reasonably local for my training if possible.

I suppose the best thing to do in the meantime is to just keep learning the theory side.

Finding this useful thus far, as it shows up my weak areas!

mocktheorytest.com/highway-code/heavy_vehicle/

Got no real comment on the gritty details of this offer, but a licence to drive a truck is 4 days course and test basically.
Not some long hoop jumping exercise to get a government loan…
There are alternatives, plus the real cost of Class 2 (VAN :wink:) is about £1500.

So I think your next step is to get real prices from a selection of trainers, local if you can find alternative finance, and PSTT on here who can help with finance, and will also provide a residential course at no extra cost if over 70 miles away. (I’m sounding like an advert! :open_mouth:)

Don’t sign on a dotted line owing someone money, until you see the assault course! :laughing:

Indigo:
Plus I want to be good at what I do, and like most things in life that often comes down to how well you were taught in the first place.

!

More important than that, is personal attitude, and from what you have written you have the right attitude. By taking care as to the standard/quality of the training that you are buying, you are showing that this is not just a job opportunity, but a step into a new Vocation/career :smiley: .

When you qualify, remember that you never stop learning, never be frightened to ask, 90% of other drivers will give you plenty of advice/help if you ask. :smiley:

There are those though that do this as a job, and have no interest in doing it well, just want to pick up a wage at the end of the week, steer clear of those :unamused: .

Good Luck :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
There are alternatives, plus the real cost of Class 2 (VAN :wink:) is about £1500.

Now that might very well be true for all those minted Hampshirrre folks. :smiley: :grimacing:

Up here in the frozen industrial wastelands of the North, we can probably get said training for a bit less than that. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

The only proviso is that you have to be skilled at driving on cobbled streets and avoiding men in flat caps who are out walking their whippets.

But seriously, and going back to the OP, it looks a bit like the apprentice trucker’s version of a student loan so it’ll pay to get the fine detail of any small print before making a final decision.

At least the provider isn’t a broker, so that’s got to be a good thing. :smiley: :smiley:

:bulb: Make sure your speakers aren’t set too loud before clicking the link…

http://www.truckschool.org.uk/

:bulb: Before any newbies consider investing, please make sure that your budget will see you right up to and including the all important initial DCPC Mod 4 test, otherwise (in most cases,) your new LGV licence can’t be used to earn a wage.

dieseldave:
Up here in the frozen industrial wastelands of the North, we can probably get said training for a bit less than that. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

The only proviso is that you have to be skilled at driving on cobbled streets and avoiding men in flat caps who are out walking their whippets.

Stop it, you’re sounding like the Hovis advert, which was shot on Gold Hill Shaftesbury! :open_mouth:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree you can get the training for less, and I was only trying to pluck a good average price to get going, so including the CPC…
Maybe up in Glimsville you can include your medical, and possibly the licence/test fees thrown in with still enough change for a pint of mild! :smiley:

Hi Liam, I just wanted to say that I agree with what the other commenters have said so far, I would seek an alternative option to funding your licence than the ‘government loan 9% interest’ deal, it sounds really suspicious and I’ve not ever heard of anyone doing that personally.

Have u considered aspire cilt they give out grants for this sort of thing as it sounds like u match the criteria…

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Berty:
Have u considered aspire cilt they give out grants for this sort of thing as it sounds like u match the criteria…

Hi Berty,

Thanks for this, I have contacted them via email and I am just waiting to hear back, fingers crossed I am eligible as this would be a massive help. I shall keep this post updated on my progress as this may be a way for a lot of new drivers to gain the training they need

LGroves84:

Berty:

Hi Berty,

Thanks for this, I have contacted them via email and I am just waiting to hear back, fingers crossed I am eligible as this would be a massive help. I shall keep this post updated on my progress as this may be a way for a lot of new drivers to gain the training they need

Your welcome its a great place I got funding for my class 1 through them If you speak to liz she is very helpfull in how to go about filling your form in… they take a while to look at your application as they only meet up 3 to 4 times a year but it’s well worth it in end…

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ah, seduced by the romantic notion of trucking across the uk with some ■■■■ from preston singing on the radio while driving with the window down getting admiring looks from available females?

Here’s your metaphorical SLAP in the face with a wet haddock.

After my first ever week driving artics with stobarts, Euro Truck Simulator is ■■■■ ALL like driving trucks. The wages are ■■■■, the hours are long but the experience is invaluable. Personally I prefer class 1 to class 2 despite the limitations.

Remember it’s a job, like any other, and they want to squeeze as much effort out of you as possible.

I’m not expecting to start on big bucks and I’m willing to put in the hard work to get where I want to be.
I’m in a minimum wage job at the moment so the only way is up for me, I’m under no illusions that it will be a bed of roses. If I get a job that I enjoy and the pay is better than what I’m on at the moment then that’s good enough for me, get my foot in the door and work my way up.