Another wannabe saying hello from essex

Just want to say hello , I’m just starting on the process of getting my licences , I’ve done my theory hazard PC and I’m now about to book cpc module 2 ( I thought I’d get the boring bits out of the way first) then I’ll have a look round a few schools to see where I go next regarding training ( if anybody has any suggestions it would b much appreciated) .now I’m just gonna tell u all a little bit about me , I’m 52 a bit old I know but there you go and truck driving is in the blood ( my dad drove for 40 plus years ) and I didn’t want to wait no longer , at present I drive for a living but not a truck just a cab and I need a change of pace , been wanting to do for a while and I’m finally gonna take the plunge wish me luck!!

ESSEX = Flair LGV training comes to mind first

Check out the link in my signature below

Thank u very much , I will have a look at them , I looked at a firm called roadtrain in Thurrock and they an approved dsa school , any thoughts

jeffeddie:
Thank u very much , I will have a look at them , I looked at a firm called roadtrain in Thurrock and they an approved dsa school , any thoughts

My honest opinion after being a LGV instructor for a while a few years ago - the DSA accreditation means naff all - Those with such accreditation WILL disagree

Use the site search for flair and see what you think - do the same for other providers you are considering

Thanks for your advice , I know nothing about the industry so I’ll have a good look round before I commit

ROG:
ESSEX = Flair LGV training comes to mind first

Check out the link in my signature below

+1 you won’t go wrong with John

Paul :smiley:

Thanks Rog and Paul for your kind words. My best advice would be to have a couple of assessment drives before deciding on a trainer. This will give you the opportunity to meet the trainer and sample the vehicle you will be training and testing in. Some trainers like us provide this entirely free without any further obligation while others may make a charge.

In Essex there are only 2 test centres. Roadtrain in Thurrock operate their own one although it is used by other schools as well. The other centre operated by the DVSA is in Chelmsford, where we are based.

Are you sure that you need to take the CPC Module 2? You will only take this if you passed the car test after 1st Jan 1997. If you passed before that then you will need to take the 35 hours Periodic CPC. This is taken in 7 hour blocks over 5 days and is required before you can drive a LGV or 7.5t vehicle for a living. This can be taken either in a classroom setting or in the vehicle during your training course if the trainer is approved for in-cab CPC training, which we are.

I wish you all the best of luck in your future plans.

My honest opinion after being a LGV instructor for a while a few years ago - the DSA accreditation means naff all - Those with such accreditation WILL disagree

And those are the considered words of wisdom from someone who did the job for a whole 3 years! I’ll stack my 40 years PCV and LGV training experience against that comment.

Dead right, I don’t agree!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

John @ Flair is a well respected forum member and I would suggest you have a look.

Roadtrain is DSA Accredited (which does have it’s merits) but I don’t know anything about them specifically.

BTW, John is a DSA Registered Instructor which is a requirement of DSA Centre Accreditation.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I knew about the 35 hours periodic training , but is that correct that I don’t have to do module 2 if I passed my test before 97 ( I passed in 1980)

jeffeddie:
I knew about the 35 hours periodic training , but is that correct that I don’t have to do module 2 if I passed my test before 97 ( I passed in 1980)

The DCPC is for LGV & PCV not specific categories of those so as you already have LGV C1 on your licence by passing car test before 1997 then the system will not allow you to do modules 2&4

You need 35 hours of periodic DCPC before you can drive any LGV commercially

As you are already in the periodic system then try and find a LGV school that has their LGV training courses approved for DCPC hours so you can get some or perhaps all of those 35 hours whilst training for C and C+E - will cost a little more for each course

Thanks that’s cleared a few things up

Hi, just thought I would add my views on this considering I am from Essex and have literally just went through all my driver trainer.

You mention Road Train, yes they are an accredited school but you will be learning alongside someone else so your time is split as a driver and passenger. I did my training with RSM driver training and they are based at burnt mills industrial estate in Basildon. Very good school, passed both tests first time and it’s 1 on 1 tuition.

I can provide contact details of the people to speak to if you wish?

Roger

Roger09marshall:
Hi, just thought I would add my views on this considering I am from Essex and have literally just went through all my driver trainer… passed both tests first time and it’s 1 on 1 tuition.

:smiley: :smiley:

Can never be certain what type of C+E has been passed in so here are both …