Another UK Long Line

I posted about some smart looking RHD scanias last year. Since then, I saw my first Scania R series longline cab on the A14 near Cambridge just before Christmas, a black & gold one belonging to John Hogan of Felixstowe. Real striking looking truck, they have put a large gold griffin decal on the cab since I saw photos of it. JFH have also got some R series toplines in the same black & gold livery, but on UK plates. This is a change from their old livery which was dark blue metallic with a silver ‘JFH’ on the air deflector.

Then 2 days later I saw the blue and white Romantiek BV Long Line on the A140, again a stunning looking truck.

I was browsing on the site of the company that did the customised interior/exterior job, http://www.adno.be/index.php?LANG=EN , and I noticed that they have now posted pics of a third UK long line conversion - this one with a green and white interior, and judging by the pics a 620 V8 motor.

If you click on the link above, and select ‘Gallery’ from the menu, you can see some of the trucks including the 3 UK ones. Does anybody know who owns the green one??

My guess would be Simon Boon International from Ipswich, judging by the colour scheme.

I wonder how practical the white quilted footwells are!!! :laughing:

Stunning looking truck can you legally couple to a 45 footer?

The Biker:
Stunning looking truck can you legally couple to a 45 footer?

I think the measurements are the same as the old T-Cabs, thus there shouldn’t be an issue with trailer length. The first 2 longlines pull containers out of felixstowe, the JFH one had what seemed to be a normal 40’ skeletal on the back.

I always thought that the Tcab could’nt pull a 45 box or 40 foot trailer hence why Toulson use them on bulk work with shorter trailers. But maybe VOSA dont know how to use a measuring stick

very nice i take two please , but please fit a roadranger gearbox

and make it ADR (, for german regs) plus a pto, THANK YOU:

NO, thanks very much, a nice lorry ,and just right for tanker work

over here,

i thought a bonneted or longline can drag a 40 foot trailer, as if it has a 45 foot box, that is considered the ‘load’ so it can have a 2.5 foot overhang, maybe im wrong (and hopefully i never have to drive one of the things!!!)

if its simon boon, he is a twistlock technician too, so i guess white floors shouldntt be too much of a problem, i would LOVE to see it do a day on sugar beet though, just for a giggle…

The trucks are stunning ,altho im not sure about the interia trim, had the good fortune of getting to seeing inside one about a year ago , it was a dutch registered and he was pulling a trombone trailer with windmill turbine blades , it was running as “wide load” so got away with the length issue
But as far as im aware they can not pull a 45 box or 40 foot trailer , a few of the have been in our yard with shortened trailer and i remeber the stobbart T cab and the driver saying they had to get a 22pallet trailer especialy for the unit !

euromat:
i thought a bonneted or longline can drag a 40 foot trailer, as if it has a 45 foot box, that is considered the ‘load’ so it can have a 2.5 foot overhang, maybe im wrong (and hopefully i never have to drive one of the things!!!)

if its simon boon, he is a twistlock technician too, so i guess white floors shouldntt be too much of a problem, i would LOVE to see it do a day on sugar beet though, just for a giggle…

Yep, get an ol’ boy with his muddy rigger boots driving it, and his dog on the passenger seat just for good measure!!! :laughing: :laughing:

chorcheela:

euromat:

Yep, get an ol’ boy with his muddy rigger boots driving it, and his dog on the passenger seat just for good measure!!! :laughing: :laughing:

im glad im not the only one who can picture it!!!

euromat:

Given that these must be costing serious money to put on the road, and the nature of what they’re doing, then either it’s legal for them to pull a 40 footer or the owners are in for a nasty (and expensive) shock!!

:laughing:

t-cabs and longlines can pull 40 footers but nothing longer as that puts them over length eddie stobart and pete osbourne both had 40 foot trailers made but had a second deck put in so the trailers capacity was 48 pallets 24 bottom deck 24 top deck .what i dont understand is why drawbars can go upto 18 metres in length but artics cant

Carl:
what i dont understand is why drawbars can go upto 18 metres in length but artics cant

It’s to do with turnig circles and road design, especially roundabouts. Because a wagon & drag ‘hinges’ in the midle, no one part of it is too long (and solid/rigid) to get around the shape that roundabouts are designed to.

Having said that, i’m sure we all know of examples where the permitted design (or ‘standard’ length) doesn’t fit neither. :unamused:

cheers marcus :wink:

chorcheela:

euromat:

give it a bit of that you reckon!!! :blush: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hmmmm, can you imagine what the boss would say??!!

It’ll be interesting to see if these 3 pop up as show trucks, as it would seem pointless getting all that work done and spending all that cash if you weren’t going to show em off, and Felixstowe docks isn’t really the place to impress people!!!

John F Hogans? now on UK plates

Good work again mate! Yes, I noticed this recently as well. The longline and the other R-series V8s he runs are all on UK plates.

The connection with Belgium was because the trucks were sourced thru the Mendlesham Group who are based up the Norwich Road (A140) - and they were done by a company based in Aalst, Belgium, called Adno (they do cab conversions basically). The Mendlesham Group are connected to a firm (now sold off) who run Belgian regd motors and who are the subject of a number of old posts on this forum.

JFH have always had an absolutely top spec fleet - they used to run dark blue motors - Volvos and Scanias, with all the extras - but they have recently got this (in my opinion) smart black & gold livery.

Out of interest where did you take these photos? These motors seem to run up the A14 to Catthorpe every morning and then go off up the M1■■

PS since the original posting before Christmas, I would be interested if anybody has seen the white & green Longline - the company I thought it might belong to has since been disqualified by the TC.