Another training school advert

I understand the forum rules so will try and be unbiased and decent.

Earlier this afternoon, whilst looking around the net for positions for a friend I came across the following advert. If im honest, I actually laughed at the rubbish within it.

Do you want to enter into a Recession Proof Industry?

We are looking for 35 individuals to train and work in HGV / LGV Driving positions nationwide within the Haulage and Logistics Industry.

• No previous driving experience necessary
  • Full Driving Licence required
  • Full Training Programme provided
  • £21-40K p/a Basic
  • Pension / Healthcare Schemes
  • Bonus Incentives

Call us now and drive yourself to success…
FREEPHONE 0800 622 6216 or call 020-8492 3935

A recession proof industry? Really?
Perhaps someone should tell the companies of some of our own members…
From this weeks who goes where

Driver-Once-More:
job centre :cry:

Another memebers post from this weeks who goes where

malcolmj:
nowhere layed off friday along with 26 other drivers :frowning:

Unfortunately like all industries we are susceptible to the recession. With firms fighting for the same work and undercutting each others rates then Im afraid to say that there will be ‘experienced’ drivers out of work so I cannot see how haulage is a recession proof industry.

Now I have goolged the phone number and it comes back with Simply LGV. Im assuming its a LGV training broker as I cant seem to see any mention of them actually doing the training themselves.

Now I have been driving for a little over the magical two years and if I could offer a little advice to anybody living in this area or who see’s adverts with this kind of rubbish being spouted…do your research and VISIT THE LOCAL TRAINERS YOURSELF!! Dont rely on someone else to do the paperwork. Yeah like most people I hate paperwork but there is a lot to be said for confidence and first impressions of those that your going to be giving your hard earned money to.
Understand that passing your test (for most anyway) is the easiest step. Getting that first start can be the hardest.

Anyway, hope this hasnt broken any rules and sorry for the rant.

Sadly this sort of advertising has been around for too long. It started in the papers in the pre www days and naturally found itself on www. You suppose correctly that Simply is a broker.

I agree that there is no way that haulage could ever be described as recession proof. During a recession people stop buying stuff. As a logical result, “stuff” doesn’t need moving. Outcome: driver redundancies.

I would like to add, though, that recession or not there are many new drivers walking straight into half decent jobs. Makes not a lot of sense I will agree. But it is a fact.

I, too, would always encorouge wannabees to visit their proposed trainer unless they have strong recommendation.

Good luck to everyone training, testing and looking for work this week. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I agree that there is no way that haulage could ever be described as recession proof.

In fact, I think road haulage is a barometer of how well or badly the economy is doing.
Take the supermarket food chain off the roads at the moment and there would be precious little left.

Regards,
Nick.