Another Train Which Quarry?Cosmic wins

Doncaster…

Did you know these engines originally came from The USA.
The one here was in a batch of 10.
4 of them were dropped off at a site in Longport for A/C to be fitted.

And another one got slightly bent when a sling broke when lifting it off the ship that brought it over (the picture I took of it aint on this laptop damnit)

Not Doncaster

raymundo:
And another one got slightly bent when a sling broke when lifting it off the ship that brought it over (the picture I took of it aint on this laptop damnit)

Engine no.70012 at Newport in Welsh Wales, dept back to the states on June 21st 2011 via Liverpool.

raymundo:

raymundo:

Engine no.70012 at Newport in Welsh Wales, dept back to the states on June 21st 2011 via Liverpool.

It that the one that was in a truck magazine a few years back? Seem to remember a feature about Alleyls taking a damaged Freightliner loco back to the states.

Possibly but not sure, all I know is that we were in Newport dock doing a transshipment job out to the river anchorage for the Yanks and the engine was on the quay and had been for quite a while. BTW I don’t know what we were taking out cos no one would tell me, strange looking 12 x 20ft containers with no markings at all but security was bloody tight with an armed ■■■■■■ to boot, USA as well as Brits, was glad when that job was completed. :open_mouth:

raymundo:
Possibly but not sure, all I know is that we were in Newport dock doing a transshipment job out to the river anchorage for the Yanks and the engine was on the quay and had been for quite a while. BTW I don’t know what we were taking out cos no one would tell me, strange looking 12 x 20ft containers with no markings at all but security was bloody tight with an armed ■■■■■■ to boot, USA as well as Brits, was glad when that job was completed. :open_mouth:

was that the boxes going out of the uk ■■ if so that was armaments bound for the barge that meets with ammunitions ship in the channel … I don’t know why but they stopped doing some stuff like that in Plymouth some time ago …

raymundo:

I googled it and found it has been discussed on here a few years ago.

viewtopic.php?p=958964#p958964

Haha, the pics I cant find are in that bit you googled. Regarding the ‘munitions’ taken out to a ship that was what we did but sailed empty across from Waterford to do it. I did loads of all sorts of explosives, rockets etc during the late 60’s, 70’s and early 80’s on Thames barges and coasters from either the old Felixstowe dock, Mistley or Great Oakly but never did we have the same sort of security as what we had for the yanks, so who knows what the boxes contained. Perhaps it’s best not to know!
Just realised we are on the 'Where Am I ? ’ thread so my apologies to Tango Boy for going adrift on his post.

raymundo:
Haha, the pics I cant find are in that bit you googled. Regarding the ‘munitions’ taken out to a ship that was what we did but sailed empty across from Waterford to do it. I did loads of all sorts of explosives, rockets etc during the late 60’s, 70’s and early 80’s on Thames barges and coasters from either the old Felixstowe dock, Mistley or Great Oakly but never did we have the same sort of security as what we had for the yanks, so who knows what the boxes contained. Perhaps it’s best not to know!
Just realised we are on the 'Where Am I ? ’ thread so my apologies to Tango Boy for going adrift on his post.

that would have been when Greenham was closing down.

Picture is at Cliffe Hill / Stud Farm Bardon

Cosmic:
Picture is at Cliffe Hill / Stud Farm Bardon

Well Done :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: How did you get that■■?

Believe it or not, the combination of those yellow box wagons and GBRF loco gives it away as the daily Westbury to Stud Farm train.

Cosmic:
Believe it or not, the combination of those yellow box wagons and GBRF loco gives it away as the daily Westbury to Stud Farm train.

Fair play :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: