Another tragic loss of life

muckles:
TFL like to have all these cycle lanes, but are cycle lanes that encourage cyclist down the left hand side of traffic really a good idea? No wonder the more savvy one go down the right hand side.

No they’re not a good idea. That’s why I ignore them completely. My bike’s a vehicle and I ride it like one … if this means taking up the entire lane for as long as I need it (at traffic lights, roundabouts and pinch points, for instance), then there it is. In fact, the only time I find myself getting annoyed with cyclists when I’m driving the truck is when they don’t do these things, preferring instead to cower at the edge of the road like they’ve got no right to be there.

Side underrun bars are being fitted to tippers, I don’t think they’d cause much trouble for operators and drivers. My criticism is they’re another place to have to clean stuff off that machine drivers have dropped muck onto. They could be at risk of being bashed by wheeled loaders. Have to say blindspots have reduced a lot, the MAN I drive has got great visibility even without proximity sensors.

8wheels:

beetee07:

Muckaway:
MGW is 32t for an 8wheeler mate. Yellow cab around Bow, could be Pryors? KR79 will probably know. I have noticed that cyclists are being more careful around me so maybe they’ve got a fear of tippers after all the accidents?
One theory on collisions with tippers; Are they getting caught on the easy sheet arms? I snagged my hi viz on mine earlier, if a cyclists’ loose clothing gets caught on one they could easily get dragged off and under the rear wheels.

Thanks thought it was but wanted to make sure.
Is there no way bike bars could be fitted to the side of a tipper maybe to the chassie or something I understand about the body movement but surely something must be able to be done.

Most of the London tippers have side bars fitted nowadays, Crossrail have started the ball rolling and FORS is popping up here there and everywhere demanding more and more.

Surely it’s got to get to the point where it’s just not viable to run trucks in London especially the way Boris is performing.
We used to do quite a few delivers in town but all the presses have moved out now all except one at Stratford so don’t go in much now thank god.

beetee07:
Why is it that when it starts getting close to Christmas there always seems to be an increase in fatal accidents.

clocks going back one hour! :open_mouth: :unamused:

And here we go again round and round and round and round.
If you walk into a lions den, expect to get bitten.

i was coming down Chelsea embankment a few weeks ago, it was dark about 19.00.
I have got into the habit of staying right next to the kerb to stop cyclists coming down my inside.
Now I am sat there waiting for the lights to change, and I looked across in the mirror to see and cyclist with one foot on the kerb still sat on the bike sort of pushing her self down past my near side. I was that close to the kerb you could only see 1 line of the double yellow lines beside the wheels of my trailer, totally crazy, if I hadn’t seem her and pulled away she would of go dragged under the trailer wheels and 30 tonne of trailer and load would not of made her day.
I just don’t understand what goes through these peoples heads :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I just don’t understand what goes through these peoples heads

sounds like very nearly

trailer wheels and 30 tonne of trailer and load

FarnboroughBoy11:

And more and more cyclists get hit by vehicles to make sure all that empty pavement space stays empty. :unamused: :unamused:

maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source … 7,0,13.98

That’s ridiculous. That pavement could so easily be reduced in width by 2 flags thus giving room to move the cycle lane over.

I can see it coming that all trucks operating within the M25 will be required to be fitted with proximity sensors. An unnecessary cost to already budget stretched hauliers brought about by kamikaze cyclists. (apologies if I sound heartless, but that its fact).

Its like a doctor prescribing tablets to take the pain away - they do nothing to remove the cause of the pain.

Driveroneuk:
That’s ridiculous. That pavement could so easily be reduced in width by 2 flags thus giving room to move the cycle lane over.

I can see it coming that all trucks operating within the M25 will be required to be fitted with proximity sensors. An unnecessary cost to already budget stretched hauliers brought about by kamikaze cyclists. (apologies if I sound heartless, but that its fact).

Its like a doctor prescribing tablets to take the pain away - they do nothing to remove the cause of the pain.

The idea of transferring pavement space for cycle use is contrary to the PC cycling cause which is all about road space being given over to cyclists even when it’s obvious that there’s more existing pavement space than road space.

It’s probably more sensible that the government and the raving cycling cause finally start to realise that cyclists are just pedestrians on cycles rather than them being seen as road users mixing with trucks and buses in such situations.

Carryfast:

FarnboroughBoy11:

And more and more cyclists get flattened to make sure all that empty pavement space stays empty. :unamused: :unamused:

maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source … 7,0,13.98

It’s just pathetic, TFL have got some serious questions to answer to as well, as Muckles said, they are just inviting danger. I really have had enough of this now. What’s next?? A zebra crossing across the home straight at Silverstone.

Carryfast:

Driveroneuk:

The idea of transferring pavement space for cycle use is contrary to the PC cycling cause which is all about road space being given over to cyclists even when it’s obvious that there’s more existing pavement space than road space.

It’s probably more sensible that the government and the raving cycling cause finally start to realise that cyclists are just pedestrians on cycles rather than them being seen as road users mixing with trucks and buses in such situations.

Agree to the max.
What’s going to be more devastating?
A cyclist hitting a pedestrian or a truck hitting a cyclist?

FarnboroughBoy11:

Carryfast:

Driveroneuk:

Agree to the max.
What’s going to be more devastating?
A cyclist hitting a pedestrian or a truck hitting a cyclist?

^+1

And what’s easier a cyclist to avoid a pedestrian or a truck to avoid a cyclist.Bearing in mind the relative amounts of space in either case as shown.

Carryfast:

Driveroneuk:

Cyclists are road users, though. Granted, a lot of them do themselves no favours by apparently removing their brains before going out on the road (I see a few idiots in dark clothes with no lights on every single night, and I don’t like them wobbling up the inside of my trailer when I’m indicating to turn left at traffic lights any more than anyone else here does), and one of the reasons I don’t post on a cycling forum any more is that I got fed up with the holier than thou attitude and sense of entitlement of some of them. (A minority, I might add.) But ultimately, cyclists and other traffic mix far better than cyclists and pedestrians. I rode for years on the roads around the West Midlands in rush hour and I can count the number of near misses I had on the fingers of one hand. It’s all about riding defensively and anticipating potential hazards; just like good driving, in fact.
Ultimately, I’m not “a cyclist”, or “a truck driver”, or even “a car driver”: I’m a human being and a road user, and that applies whether I’m on two wheels, four wheels or twenty wheels. We’re all trying to get somewhere. I’m afraid a lot of the anti cyclist posts on here sound to me exactly like the anti truck posts you read on car forums.

Rhythm Thief:

Carryfast:

Driveroneuk:

Cyclists are road users, though. Granted, a lot of them do themselves no favours by apparently removing their brains before going out on the road (I see a few idiots in dark clothes with no lights on every single night, and I don’t like them wobbling up the inside of my trailer when I’m indicating to turn left at traffic lights any more than anyone else here does), and one of the reasons I don’t post on a cycling forum any more is that I got fed up with the holier than thou attitude and sense of entitlement of some of them. (A minority, I might add.) But ultimately, cyclists and other traffic mix far better than cyclists and pedestrians. I rode for years on the roads around the West Midlands in rush hour and I can count the number of near misses I had on the fingers of one hand. It’s all about riding defensively and anticipating potential hazards; just like good driving, in fact.
Ultimately, I’m not “a cyclist”, or “a truck driver”, or even “a car driver”: I’m a human being and a road user, and that applies whether I’m on two wheels, four wheels or twenty wheels. We’re all trying to get somewhere.

How many more cyclists need to become statistics before everyone realises that cyclists would be better re classified as pedestrians using cycles wherever possible and especially in such situations as this. :unamused:

Carryfast:

Rhythm Thief:

Carryfast:

Driveroneuk:

Ultimately, I’m not “a cyclist”, or “a truck driver”, or even “a car driver”: I’m a human being and a road user, and that applies whether I’m on two wheels, four wheels or twenty wheels. We’re all trying to get somewhere.

How many more cyclists need to be flattened before everyone realises that cyclists would be better re classified as pedestrians using cycles wherever possible and especially in such situations as this. :unamused:

With respect, CF, did you actually read anything I’ve just written?

Rhythm Thief:

Carryfast:

Rhythm Thief:

Carryfast:

Driveroneuk:

How many more cyclists need to be flattened before everyone realises that cyclists would be better re classified as pedestrians using cycles wherever possible and especially in such situations as this. :unamused:

With respect, CF, did you actually read anything I’ve just written?

The first sentence to be exact.The only defensive riding in this case that’s relevant would be for cyclists to be made to use the pavement in just the same way as if they were pedestrians and giving the pedestrians they share the pavement space with the same respect that they at present expect from motor traffic.The difference being that in this case the cyclists would have the luxury of much more space and visibility and lower speeds to work with and do so.

Sadly, it’s getting worse.
I’d be interested to see the figures= how many drivers have been charged after a fatal with a cyclist.
IMO, cyclists do themselves no favours, however, tippers seem to be involved in alot of the insidents.

rambo19:
Sadly, it’s getting worse.
I’d be interested to see the figures= how many drivers have been charged after a fatal with a cyclist.
IMO, cyclists do themselves no favours, however, tippers seem to be involved in alot of the insidents.

Rigids are ( should be ) easier to see along the sides of throughout a turn than artics although there might be the possibility that many/most tippers don’t have full width cabs therefore the view available in the mirrors might possibly be obstructed by the wider tipper body.But buses are also becoming increasingly involved so it’s probably also a reflection of the law of averages of numbers.All of which suggests that the cyclists are obviously managing to get into collision situations during the time when the driver’s attention is away from the nearside mirrors which would also obviously apply even more in the case of roundabouts when the driver needs to look ahead and to the right before and when moving off.

Been away for a while. Is the Bow Interchange where the A11 meets the 12 ?

Feel sorry for the cyclist and the driver.