Another Tragedy

Just heard this on the radio it’s scary how often this sort of thing is happening. dailymail.co.uk/news/article … crash.html

Bring back the old style semaphore arm indicators positioned near the rear of the truck, maybe flashing and bleeping and long enough to stop bikes undertaking! Some of these idiots will go underneath or on the footpath to get round it. :open_mouth:

Oh no, the poor girl.

Doesn’t matter who’s right or wrong, bicycles and lorries do not mix in the urban jungle.

That lorry will have all the bike safety stuff on it aswell.

Why oh why in this day and age to cyclist’s STILL ride up the nearside of vehicles at signals? Surely (though presumably not?) she should have seen indication that he was turning, unless of course he started indicating when stationary which is possible I suppose. Very sad all round and I’m afraid that she will not be the last case like this. :confused:

Pete.

windrush:
Why oh why in this day and age to cyclist’s STILL ride up the nearside of vehicles at signals? Surely (though presumably not?) she should have seen indication that he was turning, unless of course he started indicating when stationary which is possible I suppose. Very sad all round and I’m afraid that she will not be the last case like this. :confused:

Pete.

Unfortunately you could stand there with a red flag waving it at a cyclist and they would still carry on :unamused:

feel totally for the driver

windrush:

Pete.

Maybe he didn’t indicate at all :question:

waynedl:
Maybe he didn’t indicate at all :question:

True, I assume (bad word on trucknet! :wink: )that he was accessing that construction site? No mention of the accident on the 1 pm BBC news though.

Pete.

Deja Vu?

standard.co.uk/news/london/c … 36906.html

It’s high time TfL reversed their policy, advised cyclists NOT to pass vehicles when they are crossing junctions, and adjusted their road markings to suit.

Current cycle lanes approaching traffic lights encourage cyclists to pass on the left, then pull in front of trucks.

Madness. The advanced stop lines should be for motorcyclists, which can get out of the way of the traffic they have just passed.

GasGas:
Deja Vu?

standard.co.uk/news/london/c … 36906.html

It’s high time TfL reversed their policy, advised cyclists NOT to pass vehicles when they are crossing junctions, and adjusted their road markings to suit.

Current cycle lanes approaching traffic lights encourage cyclists to pass on the left, then pull in front of trucks.

Madness. The advanced stop lines should be for motorcyclists, which can get out of the way of the traffic they have just passed.

Yes looks like very same thing, cyclist’s have these “die in’ vigil” but they really need to be educated and learn at them to stay back from HGVs instead of lying on the floor.

All I can say is, you have to admire the emergency services who have to deal with this sort of thing on a very regular basis, really is NOT a job I could do.

Like some others on here I cycle as well as drive.Could drivers of high sided vehicles maybe display signs on the back with the words passing side on the right and suicide or do not pass on the left.

cyclists get told time and again not to go on the inside of a turning hgv,why does it not sink in,anyone with common sense would never do it,with the amount of cyclists killed last year you would have thought it would have sunk in by now,but they never learn

alamcculloch:
Like some others on here I cycle as well as drive.Could drivers of high sided vehicles maybe display signs on the back with the words passing side on the right and suicide or do not pass on the left.

some do and what difference dose it make ■■ you’ll still get the odd ones that sake NO notice

truckman020:
cyclists get told time and again not to go on the inside of a turning hgv,why does it not sink in,anyone with common sense would never do it,with the amount of cyclists killed last year you would have thought it would have sunk in by now,but they never learn

+1…no matter what they do,theres no way to overcome the chance of some gormless idiot on a pushbike crawling up your nearside.london or anywhere else,you cant stop idiots being idiots.the downside of it is that no doubt the blame will still end up as the truckies fault in some way.

alamcculloch:

Our lorries have all the bells and whistles that the clown Boris has demanded. We have the warning signs on the back, we have side cameras, we have Fresnel lens on N/S window, we have the audible alarm going off when indicated left (very loudly saying “caution Truck turning left”)…but STILL the idiots cycle on the inside!!!
What more an possibly be done on the HGV side…surely now its time to direct the flack at the cyclist?

Keen cyclist and hgv driver here, and having driven around London the only thing that will stop cyclists doing this is to ban them from the roads, but that’s never going to happen.

I think it’s high time that cyclists should have to pass a road sense test and should be shown graphic images of what happens when you do silly things.
There will still be the “it’ll never happen to me” brigade, but if it makes just one person stop and think before getting crushed, then it’s worth it.

It makes no sense at all to have HGV Drivers who are trained and regulated to within an inch of their lives sharing the same space as someone who may never have ridden on a road with traffic before with no training, no testing and very little regulation. It makes even less sense when one is cocooned in 30 tons of steel and the other is sat on top of 10kg of aluminium.

It is a surprisingly balanced article for the Daily Mail. The description of the driver after the accident is sympathetic, there is no accusatory language trying to apportion blame in either direction, and none of the traditional badmouthing of lorry drivers. The description is clear that it was the inside lane, one way, and the lorry was turning left. The reader is therefore able to draw their own conclusions, and one assumes the intelligent ones will realise that the cyclist must have been passing up the inside so the driver perhaps isn’t really to blame.

Maybe the tide is turning, and the media is finished whipping the trucking industry. Perhaps the campaign may now shift towards educating the cyclists too, and helping them recognise that they are also part of the problem so have a part to play in the solution.

109LWB:
Keen cyclist and hgv driver here, and having driven around London the only thing that will stop cyclists doing this is to ban them from the roads, but that’s never going to happen.

I think it’s high time that cyclists should have to pass a road sense test and should be shown graphic images of what happens when you do silly things.
There will still be the “it’ll never happen to me” brigade, but if it makes just one person stop and think before getting crushed, then it’s worth it.

It makes no sense at all to have HGV Drivers who are trained and regulated to within an inch of their lives sharing the same space as someone who may never have ridden on a road with traffic before with no training, no testing and very little regulation. It makes even less sense when one is cocooned in 30 tons of steel and the other is sat on top of 10kg of aluminium.

Great post 100% agree.

Very well put.

alamcculloch:

We already do, I got them on mine and I still get all sorts trying to squeeze their way past.