Another tale from long ago.......to Hungary

My memory isn’t too sharp on this trip,so bear with me…

I arrived back at the yard in Ipswich one Wednesday afternoon to be told that I would be shipping out that night from Felixstowe to Zeebrugge,along with another of our driver’s.

That was always the thing with Fred,never any notice about when or where you were going,just get told at the last minute.

Anyway,Olly,the other driver,had been down to Rainham,Essex with a rented step frame to load a very large packing case destined for Dorog,Hungary.My identical trailer had been loaded by someone else and brought back to the yard.
Whilst the packing cases were very light,they were quite big,so both trailers had been stripped down with the tilt folded and tied at the front,the load stuck out the sides about six inches,
they both contained parts for a new fertiliser producing plant in Dorog.

We made our way down to Felixstowe to get the carnets sorted out,and I nipped home for one or two bits and pieces.

The following morning saw us leaving Zeebrugge on a fine sunny day,and our first stop would be Brussels,I had to get a visa sorted out for Czechoslovakia,so,after leaving the trucks at Groot Bijgaarden we got a taxi to the Czech Embassy where it took around three hours to sort everything out.
Another taxi back to the trucks and we were on our way to Aachen,but that was as far as we were going,today was a holiday in Germany,so we’d be sitting there until 10pm.

On arrival at Aachen we went to the Belgian customs to get the carnet stamped and have the volet (page) removed.The customs bloke asked where the trucks were,so we pointed to them.He then decided to come out with his tape measure and check the width of the crates,uh oh!

“Where is your permit”?,he asked.
“We don’t need a permit for Belgium” replied Olly
“You need a permit for wide loads” he said.
“No we don’t!” said Olly
“Yes you do” replied Mr customs officer.

So,we march into his little hut where he starts making out the paperwork to fine us for not having a wide load permit,what a start!
When he asks for our passports he studies Olly’s very intently,and makes a comment about him being the famous writer Charles Dickens.
Olly explodes and I fear he’s going to wring the customs bloke’s neck!
I didn’t know until then that Olly’s actual name was,Charles Dickens!

The customs guy had hit a raw nerve with Olly,who was now red with rage,and I feared that this was as far as we were going on this trip.
But the customs man said no more and simply handed us the paperwork and we proceeded to the German side.

We had in fact known that we were over-width because we had to meet the German agent later on to obtain a permit for Germany,but you have to think on your feet and try and wing it!

Later that night we were at last free to enter Germany and drove through the night to Gieselwind,to the famous Tony’s Autohof,where we would then rest before making our way to Waidhaus and the Czech border.

Friday afternoon see’s us heading for Waidhaus to join the queue of a dozen or more trucks for the border crossing,it’s not a bad crossing point this,usually pretty quick,but it never ceases to amaze me that the barrier swings into Czechoslovakia,not the other way round.You could literally crash a car through into Czech,but you’d have a hell of a job crashing out into Germany in a tank!
They reckon the Iron Curtain is to keep the west out,but in reallity,it’s to keep their own people in!

As we make our way from the border towards Plzen we decide to pull in for the night,driving in the dark is not recommended.

Saturday dawns dull and misty,but after a few cups of tea and some sausage sarnies (marvellous things they were,Wall’s tinned sausages ) we decide to make a move,but not before I take a snap for posterity…

We make our way through Prague,which with the tilts tied at the front of the trailer is quite hazardous,as there are many low bridges with tram wires running underneath which threaten to burn a hole in the canvas.
A couple of times I have to jump out and watch Olly crawl underneath the bridges,before I then crawl under.The actual main TIR route is around the city,but,the bridges on that route are even lower!
Eventually we are free of the city and making our way south,getting stopped a couple of times on the way for the ubiquitous speeding fine,where a packet of ■■■■ eases the passage.

Late afternoon we arrive at the Komarno border and join a long line of Wombles.Wombles are drivers from the Bulgarian state transport concern SoMat,so named after the childrens tv show The Wombles,with Great Uncle Bulgaria.
It’s taking an awfully long time for the queue to move,so Olly gets out to investigate,and finds all the wombles in the bar slowly getting drunk.
After much swearing by Olly,we move around them all to the front of the queue where the Czech guards put a sniffer dog around the trailers and probe with torches.They are looking for any of their countrymen who might be trying to get to Hungary,where most decadent imperialist goods can be found in Budapest.
As we pass through to the Hungarian side we see several cars from Czech being turned out by Czech customs,with the people being made to empty all their possesions out onto the tarmac for inspection.
These are people who have obtained permits,one way or another,to visit Hungary and buy what ever they can afford,but on returning to their own country,are relieved of anything that catches the border guards eyes.

It is after 11pm when we finally enter Hungary,and we drive just a short way before finding somewhere to park for the night.

Sunday,and the weather is much better,sunny and warm,as we arrive in Dorog to find the factory.
There are two women at the gatehouse,and one of them say’s she will phone the manager to tell him we have arrived.He arrives within the hour to inform us that the customs man will arrive soon to complete the carnet formalities and that we can unload today.Sunday.
The customs man duly arrives on his bicycle,albeit very wobbly,he’s just come from the pub.But he completes the paperwork and after relieving us of a packet of Marlboro or two,he is off to the pub again.

Two guys who work in the factory then arrive and start unloading the packing cases,and then help us put the trailers back together,which is very nice,as it can be a b*****r!
We are then shown where we can take a shower within the factory,drop the trailer and off into town to find a watering hole.

Monday morning we drive into town again to find the post office,where we phone the office and tell them we are empty,and after giving them the telex number of the factory,we drive back there once again to await reload instructions.
Olly has to load in Hof,Germany,whilst I must go and load in Gmunden,Austria.
We put the kettle on for a final cuppa together and part company.

I head off for the Austrian border at Nickelsdorf and pass through Vienna arriving in Gmunden late evening.The next morning I load complete with garden furniture for London,and make my way up to the border with Germany.

Nothing much interesting happened on the way back,except that pulling in for a coffee between Frankfurt and Köln on the way,there was Olly who had had exactly the same idea,what a coincidence!
We then travelled back to Zeebrugge together where we once again parted,he taking the ferry for Felixstowe and me going to Dover.

Nice read there Keith, any diarys from your days at van Maanen and Onsala? Should go down well on here.

Excellent stuff, i love reading these tales from journeys made long ago. Great stuff. :wink:

short walk:
Nice read there Keith, any diarys from your days at van Maanen and Onsala? Should go down well on here.

Here you go then…

Tok City is what some dutch people call Barneveld,due to the famous Barneveld Bantam chicken breed.
It’s actually a very nice town,and had now become my place of employment since starting for Van Maanen Koeltransport,based on the industry area.
The company premises were not very big,but it was very rare to see all of the fleet parked up at one time.They had their own garage and truckwash,as well as offices and shower room.

The first truck I drove when I started was BP-30-TK,a 112 Scania which was usually driven by Rene Dijkstra,who at the time was on holiday.

This was coupled to a standard fridge trailer,loaded with pallets of bacon destined for DBC in Stoke on Trent.
Bacon was the only product Van Maanen transported to the UK,either in large cuts in dolavs (bulk plastic pallets) or sliced ready for the supermarket shelves.
At the time,there were five regular dutch drivers and me and Steve,the other Brit,all doing two trips a week,returning empty to Holland.

Once I had got to know where the regular customers were,and their opening times,it became a real doddle of a job,usually leaving Monday morning with several drops which would see me empty sometime Tuesday.
Then,it was either ship back from Ipswich to Europoort,or,if I was empty in the north,Immingham to Rotterdam,except on a Monday as there was no sailing from Immingham.Then it was a case of taking the ‘Love Boat’ from Hull to Europoort

Wednesday morning would see me back on dutch soil,going to load once more,take fuel in Barneveld and amble back to Hook of Holland for the freight boat to Harwich.
Once cleared Thursday morning in Harwich it was usually a ‘one-hitter’ to Evesham to deliver at Stocks-Lovell,then straight back to Ipswich for the return sailing to Holland.
Friday would be a case of washing the truck,diesel and then off to load for the following week.And of course to do the all important shopping in the supermarket.
We all used to bring in 7 cases of Grolsch lager,in the flip top bottles,every trip,which was a good little earner flogging them at places we delivered to for twelve quid a case.Grolsch was the in-drink in quite a few posh pubs,some of which were charging up to three quid a bottle!

No matter where we went to in the UK to deliver,the first thing they said was “Got any beer or baccy mate”?

At the time we usually came back through Ipswich,where the customs were really on the ball,Ipswich being a training ground for all of the south and east of England.
One time,one of the dutch drivers had the regulation seven cases of Grolsch in his pallet box,and the customs man worked it out that at 45cl a bottle,he was actually over the fifty litres of beer that were allowed through,by 30 odd cl.
So,the dutchman took one bottle out,and downed it in one,much to the digust of the customs man,but to the amusement of everyone else.

Another time,a driver from Spalding Haulage (who shall remain nameless) and who always swore blind that he never smuggled anything,got caught one Saturday morning when the customs made a bee-line for his truck and started unscrewing the corner deflectors from the front of his Merc.
Hidden behind were six hundred Benson & Hedges

The trips were always organised so that most of your drops were in the same area,three or four around Birmingham for example,then up to Stoke and on to Wigan or Manchester.
The second trip of the week would be a one hitter,making sure you had time to get that nights ferry.
Sometimes work would be a bit quiet,and on these occasions the office would say ‘Go home Keith and ring tomorrow afternoon’,which usually happened on a Monday.So I’d ring Tuesday afternoon,then again Wednesday,and again Thursday finally shipping back out on Thursday nights ferry from Ipswich.And I got paid all the time I was sitting at home!

I then took over BR-50-HB,another 112,but with a short bacon trailer which had a double floor inside complete with it’s own fork truck…

Although most of the trucks on the UK work were a few years old,they were well looked after by the in-house mechanics and when washed,gleamed like new.Anything that needed doing was done straight away and all the trucks carried a comprehensive toolkit as well as a set of jump-leads.

I then had to give up BR-50 as it was to be used on Italian work,which actually made up the the majority of Van Maanen’s work.I then took over BN-34-SZ,another,older 112,in fact it was the oldest truck on the fleet but went like ■■■ off a stick and with most of the baffles removed from the exhaust,sounded a treat too
BN-34 was blue & white,as it had been previously used to pull a Gebr.Stroomberg trailer,one of Van Maanen’s biggest clients…

BN-34 pulled a trailer the same as this,here pictured with one of the Estepe high roof conversion 112’s.

At about this time,I was called into the office one day and told that the client whom we were doing the UK work for,had gone into recievership and that the company were going to apply to the local government to be allowed to let me go.
That’s the good thing about working in Holland,when you start,either party can,within six months,terminate the employment contract.But,after six months it is very hard to get rid of you,unless you are caught stealing or you lose your licence.
I had only been with the company nine months,but I didn’t want to lose the job,the money was good,the equipment well looked after and they were a great bunch of blokes to work with.
The bacon client might be taken over by another company,which was good news,but until we found out what was going to happen,I said that I’d drive the odd trip to Italy.

And so,a few weeks later I set off from Weert one Friday afternoon in BN-34 with a load of hanging pork bound for Langhirano.
It had been a few years since I’d been to Italy,but there was always at least half a dozen Van Maanen trucks leaving on a Friday for Italy or Greece,so they took me under their wing until I regained my bearings.
The only problem was,lack of sleep,as we had to be in Novara first thing Saturday morning to clear customs ready to tip on Monday morning.
So,it was a tiring drive through the night,stopping for a break at Toul and then at Nantua,to take diesel and a well needed coffee before arriving in Novara at 7am.After putting the papers in,it was time to catch up on some sleep until midday,when we should all be cleared.

Then most of us backtracked to Carisio,where we would spend the weekend relaxing,drinking,eating followed by more drinking.
A couple of the others were going south to Rome and would spend the weekend at Orte.

Monday morning I set off for Langhirano to find the client,which was pretty easy as one of the others had drawn a map for me to show exactly where it was.Most of the clients were regular drops,so I soon became adept at driving straight to them without having to check a map.

Unloading in Langhirano,Italy

We were taking pork hams,on the hook,to various large and small factories that turned them into salami and ham,including several in the Parma area which made ham of the same name.

Nine times out of ten we would reload at San Martino du Lupari,near Verona,at the huge AiA factory which produced poultry products destined for Germany,Belgium or Spain,Germany being our main destination.
Once loaded we would drive to the Dognana at Sommacampagna for the paperwork and any licences we needed to take certain products through Austria.These included small birds which were a delicacy in Germany,which the dutchmen called ‘Songbirds’,and to this day I still have no idea exactly what type of birds they were.

Then it was ‘upstairs’ to the Brenner Pass where it was time once again to encounter those friendly,helpful Austrian customs men.Not!
The procedure for us was pretty straightforward as we had an account for the Eco-tax,but the trouble always started when you had to find the vet,to sort out the health certificates and licences.He was normally either drunk,or not there at all,which meant a lengthy wait.If there was a wait,then a phone call to Huub,a dutchman who ran a hotel just on the Austrian side of the border,made everything alright.
He couldn’t do anything about the wait,but he would come and pick us up in his minibus and take us back to the hotel so we could have a meal and shower.And a beer or two of course.

Sometimes we would do the health certificates at the slaughterhouse (or,slachthof) in Rosenheim,which was much quicker.
We would always stop at the Lomo Autohof at Reischenhart to take on diesel and have a meal and shower,it was a very good place to eat.

We had many destinations in Germany,again most of them being regular drops,and we even had keys to some of them so that we could unload ourselves out of hours.
A lot of them were deliveries which had to be made through the weekend,after having loaded in Verona on a Friday,and included Berlin and the Ruhr area.
It was quite exciting doing the Berlin drops as I hadn’t been to Berlin since before the Wall came down,in fact not since 1981-2,and to see the demolition and reconstruction going on was amazing.
I remember driving through the centre one Sunday night and going from what was,the west,into,what was,the east.It was amazing how the street suddenly changed from being well lit,with smooth roads and brightly decorated shops,then becoming dark,dismal with old cobbled roads.

The famous Brandenburg Gate in Berlin

My trips to Italy were becoming the norm,sometimes being away for up to five or six weeks,going back and forth,as the UK work was getting less and less.
If I did want to go home,then I would take the train to the Hook of Holland and go on with someone as second driver,there was always someone there shipping back who I knew.I would then spend a few days at home before returning to Barneveld,the company taking care of all the travelling expenses.

When the borders opened up on Jan 1st 1993 it made the job a lot easier and quicker,although it did take a lot of the enjoyment out of it,which I still miss today.But,with no more customs formalities,it meant we didn’t have to rush about quite as much and could take our time driving down over the weekend.
It was around this time that police forces in europe,particularly France,started cracking down on driving hours infringements,and some hefty fines were being imposed to stop what had,up until then,been the norm.
It was a good thing in a way,as we were now instructed to run legal.

I had now swapped to another Scania,another flat roof 112 in blue and white,BS-56-HS,but I didn’t have it for very long as another driver had gone off on long term sick leave,leaving his F12 Globetrotter without a driver.But I soon took care of that

VB-14-RL was the first F12 I had ever driven,and I was looking forward to it too as I had wanted a Globie since they first came out.
But I have to say I was a bit disappointed,it was comfortable to drive,it had climate control,it had storage,it looked the dogs danglies,but,the bed was bloody terrible.Those cut-outs behind the seats meant you could only lay on your side,laying on your back was just too tight.

The four F12’s Van Maanen had,including mine,were on lease,and so when they had done 700,000km they went back to Volvo,meaning I then took over BY-17-DL,another 112 Scania,but with the Estepe roof conversion.
This was the best Scania I have ever had the pleasure to drive,the space inside was awesome with the top bunk being at the same height as the roof on a normal Scania.I could stand on the engine cover and have to stretch to reach the sun-roof!

The Hungary diary was brilliant Keith, it never amazed me that a company would open up for us, even getting the customs man out on a Saturday or Sunday. It happened to me several times, in Czech and Poland.

Oh and your canned sausages remind me of the canned bacon in Hungary, it was gorgeous and easy to keep.

Just what the doctor ordered Keith! Think our paths must have crossed at some point as I had a brilliant 7 years by H&S and many weekends ‘op weg’ in Pescheira, good days indeed.

short walk:
Just what the doctor ordered Keith! Think our paths must have crossed at some point as I had a brilliant 7 years by H&S and many weekends ‘op weg’ in Pescheira, good days indeed.

Quite possibly,but the only English guys I can recall from that time was Mark Hodges from Manchester and a guy called Kevin,a scouser who lived in Sheerness.