Another Self employed Question

What sort of insurance cover do some of you have? If any?

The standard way to do it seems to be to have a contract that requires your customer to provide adequate employers liability, public liability and vehicle insurance whilst you are working for them, thereby avoiding needing any of your own.

Paul

I always have my own Public Liability. Although most companies, including mine, all have a scope for sub-contractors on their employees and public policies, I just prefer to play safe. It’s also one way of convincing the tax man you are actually SE.

DoYouMeanMe?:
I always have my own Public Liability.

Who do you get it from, how much does it cost, and what does it reckon to cover? I enquired a bit about this when I started and nobody that I spoke to seemed to be able to offer me anything suitable as once you mentioned road haulage they all started getting scared at the potential risks.

Paul

Your GIT (goods in transit) should incorporate public/employers liability insurance, depending on your location, the size of your lorry & the type of cover you want RHA/CMR the cost will vary accordingly. Then you have the policy for the lorry itself, which again will vary due to size, value, location etc & then there are things like gap insurance (to pay off the finance if the value is lower than the debt.) Best to ask a broker really & my advice is to cover every possibility because if ■■■■ can happen it will. :laughing:

This company are very reasonable,as I got my courier/PIL,and GIT insurance through them for my courier work:

milestonehouse.com

Ken.

repton:

DoYouMeanMe?:
I always have my own Public Liability.

Who do you get it from, how much does it cost, and what does it reckon to cover? I enquired a bit about this when I started and nobody that I spoke to seemed to be able to offer me anything suitable as once you mentioned road haulage they all started getting scared at the potential risks.

Paul

It covers the public for anything that may happen. Initially for anyone who comes to my place and then decides to fall down the pit, or gets run over when I back a motor out. But also applies if you take a scenario where someone might walk into the side of your lorry, trip over their own feet and headbut the wheel etc, etc. My public liability comes with the policy I have for the business premises, all in one big bundle with the road-risk policy etc, but it also covers me when I am sub-contracting as a driver.

I also have a public liability for a charity/fundraising org that I run and that is a stand alone policy that costs about £85.00. Co-op (CIS) used to be reasonable on them.

repton:
The standard way to do it seems to be to have a contract that requires your customer to provide adequate employers liability, public liability and vehicle insurance whilst you are working for them, thereby avoiding needing any of your own.

The problem with this route repton is that you are not insured directly. If there are any kind of problems or abnormalities with a claim against you the insurance company is going to find the cheapest route, which will usually mean blaming you. You are then left with the choice of arguing the point against the company who are subbing you or paying up. Whichever you choose you are the one who will lose.

By having your own PL & GiT insurance you have cover against anything happening, and someone in your corner to fight for your cause.

And it’s all against tax.

Stan