Another post regarding tacho rest periods!

Sorry guys, I have just started work this week and I am trying to get my head around it all. So Friday I started work at 5.30am and finished at 6.45pm taking a 45 minute break all day and switched over drivers to avoid another break. Today I started at 6am and finished at 6.45pm which is fine because I had 11 hours and 15 minutes rest in between shifts. But I start work at 5am tomorrow so with me finishing at 6.45pm (tacho card removed at 6.15pm though) yesterday, that means this is classed as a reduced rest as it is under 11 hours. So how and when am I ment to find time to pay this back, next week I believe I am off Monday and Monday only but pretty sure I am off the weekend, so will this compensate for it? Also how much do I have to pay back?

Thank god or that, you were so quiet i was starting to get worried. :laughing:
How did you find/enjoy the driving pal?

As for the question, you are allowed to reduce your daily rest 3 times over a weekly period.
There isn’t anything to pay back!

A driver may reduce his daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods; and no compensation for the reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a reduced daily rest period.

The fact you removed your card at 615 means you will have to do a manual entry to cover finishing at 645.

ash 001:
Sorry guys, I have just started work this week and I am trying to get my head around it all. So Friday I started work at 5.30am and finished at 6.45pm taking a 45 minute break all day and switched over drivers to avoid another break. Today I started at 6am and finished at 6.45pm which is fine because I had 11 hours and 15 minutes rest in between shifts. But I start work at 5am tomorrow so with me finishing at 6.45pm (tacho card removed at 6.15pm though) yesterday, that means this is classed as a reduced rest as it is under 11 hours. So how and when am I ment to find time to pay this back, next week I believe I am off Monday and Monday only but pretty sure I am off the weekend, so will this compensate for it? Also how much do I have to pay back?

As has been said you can reduce daily rest periods three times between weekly rest periods and no compensation is required.

Are you multi-manning ?

The reason I ask is because you mentioned changing drivers, if you are genuinely multi-manning, that means both drivers must start work within one hour of each other, legally you only need a nine hour daily rest period within the period of 30 hours from the start of the shift, that nine hours counts as a regular daily rest period not a reduced one.

The thing is on Friday although you had 11¼ hours rest between shifts only 10¾ hours was within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift, if you was multi-manning it doesn’t matter but otherwise it’s a reduced daily rest period.

Having said that even if you’re not multi-manning you’re only having two reduced daily rest periods before Mondays weekly rest period so it doesn’t matter, but if you are multi-manning you could do with knowing the multi-manning rules :wink:

Thank you for the quick reply guys, evil I am in process to replying to you bare with me, my tired eyes are not helping. Thank you I just wanted to clear that up so we are multi manning but this wont happen all the time as some times there is just agency in to be a drivers mate. So fri I didn’t actually even drive until 3.30pm and drove all of today until the switch over so I need to look at multi manning rules. If I am multi manning one day but not the other where do I stand? With the 24hour period thing is that from 24 hours of your start time then or what ? me confused lol
]

Coolrider:
The fact you removed your card at 615 means you will have to do a manual entry to cover finishing at 645.

Yes mate I do manual entries in the morning for my finish time and I start at 5 but by the time I get to truck its 5.15am so I do a manual entry of 15 mins there also.

ash 001:
Thank you for the quick reply guys, evil I am in process to replying to you bare with me, my tired eyes are not helping. Thank you I just wanted to clear that up so we are multi manning but this wont happen all the time as some times there is just agency in to be a drivers mate. So fri I didn’t actually even drive until 3.30pm and drove all of today until the switch over so I need to look at multi manning rules. If I am multi manning one day but not the other where do I stand? With the 24hour period thing is that from 24 hours of your start time then or what ? me confused lol

This is a summary of the relevant regulations not the exact wording.

Single manned journey daily rest periods:

• Within 24 hours from the start of the shift a driver must have completed a daily rest period of 11 hours.
  • The daily rest period can be reduced to no less than nine hours three times between weekly rest periods (reduced daily rest must still be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift).
  • Reduced daily rest periods do not have to be compensated for.

Any rest that does not fall within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift does not count towards the daily rest period.

If you start work at 05:00 that’s when the 24 hour period begins, a new period of 24 hours starts when you resume work after a daily/weekly rest period.

Multi manning rules:

• Within 30 hours from the start of the shift each driver must complete a daily rest period of nine hours (this counts as a regular daily rest period).
  • To take advantage of the multi-manning concession on daily rest periods the two drivers must start within one hour of each other (this is assuming only two drivers are involved).
  • When you’re multi-manning the driver should have his card in slot 1 and the second drivers card should be in slot 2, when the drivers change over so should the cards, in other words whoever is driving has his card in slot 1 and whoever is sat in the passenger seat has his card in slot 2.

It doesn’t matter about doing multi-manning one day and single manning the next, if you’re multi-manning you need to complete a nine hour daily rest period within 30 hours from the start of the shift, if you’re single manning the following day you need to complete an 11 hour daily rest period within 24 hours from the start of that shift (or have a reduced daily rest period).

One other thing you should be aware of is that when multi-manning with your driver card in slot 2 the first 45 minutes of POA will be counted as break, this is because the tachograph automatically records POA for slot 2 while the vehicle is moving, as you cannot record break the first 45 minutes of POA is counted as break, that’s as long as you’re not working while in the passenger seat obviously.

Don’t worry about Mondays reduced weekly rest period for now, it may need to be compensated for but you’ve got four weeks to learn about that :wink:

Ok thank you very much, I am guessing for multi manning you most both be on tacho which is what we was doing :slight_smile: