Another one jailed

The offence of dangerous driving under section 2 of the RTA 1988 is committed when a person’s standard of driving falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver and it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.

That is the definition of Dangerous Driving.

Flip flops are not relevant.
54 mph in a 50 hardly represents a “standard far below” as has been pointed out the 10% + 2 Rule would likely show a prosecutable speed threshold of 57 mph - certainly for Cameras.
So the main evidence is what was he doing for that 9 secs?

Whether HGV / LGV / PCV / PSV Drivers like it or not, they have a slightly different standard of judgement due to the size of the vehicle that they are driving and the cargo they have on board. Hence the higher driving test levels and skilling that is required, as well as the Hours Rules. 54 mph is 28/29 metres per second - a football pitch in 3 1/2 seconds. This is why he has been convicted because he has a greater responsibility than a normal car driver.

The extended period of doing more than 54 mph was used in the case to undermine that “responsibility”!

pierrot 14:

robroy:
I remember talk about 10 yrs ago when the Gendarmes in France were pulling drivers wearing clacks (oooh Matron :smiley: ) but I just used to put it down to drivercrap, but definitely nothing in the UK.

Not just talk Rob , they did. What they didn’t like was that there was no heel back, to keep said footwear firmly on the foot.

Cheers for that mate, I was thinking I had dreamt it. :smiley:
(I do have some boring dreams :smiley: )

robroy:

pierrot 14:

robroy:
I remember talk about 10 yrs ago when the Gendarmes in France were pulling drivers wearing clacks (oooh Matron :smiley: ) but I just used to put it down to drivercrap, but definitely nothing in the UK.

Not just talk Rob , they did. What they didn’t like was that there was no heel back, to keep said footwear firmly on the foot.

This was happening in Spain last year, but it was clearly aimed at the tourists, and wannabe English gangster boys.

Was funny seeing Essex boyo getting out of his BMW and being giving €50 fine and his flip flops put in the bin, " them is Hugo boss, cost me €120, " Reply was a shrug of shoulder, and fine.

biggriffin:

robroy:

pierrot 14:

robroy:

This was happening in Spain last year, but it was clearly aimed at the tourists, and wannabe English gangster boys.

Was funny seeing Essex boyo getting out of his BMW and being giving €50 fine and his flip flops put in the bin, " them is Hugo boss, cost me €120, " Reply was a shrug of shoulder, and fine.

It’s amazing how some native Brits can not speak their own language as well as the residents of the country they visit eh? :unamused: :smiley:

Our local Guardia Trafico will fine you on the spot if you drive in flip flops or anything else without a heel.
When i was driving continental I always wore clogs to wander about and drove in my socks.Accelerator and brake pedals were hinged on the floor,not suspended.I never had safety issues and felt comfortable all day.