Another one gone

W H Barley have gone.

W H Barley enters administration
By Tim Wallace22 December 2023

Save article
Milton Keynes-based pallet distribution and warehousing firm W H Barley (Transport and Storage) has entered administration.

The business operated a mixed fleet, ranging from small vans to 44-tonne curtainsiders, and a 100,000sq ft purpose-built commercial storage / warehouse facility on a five-acre site in Wolverton.

The family-run company was founded by chairman Peter Barber in 1970. He was later instrumental in it becoming an active member of both Palletline and the Transport Association.

In a post on LinkedIn earlier today (22 December), chief executive Emma Barber blamed “financial challenges” for the firm’s collapse and said “increasing cost pressures are reaching breaking point for many hauliers”.

She added that fellow RHA members had told her the lead-up to Christmas – traditionally a bumper period for operators moving retail goods – is “the worst since 2008”.

“It is with great sadness that we must share the difficult news that W H Barley Transport & Storage has unfortunately gone into administration,” her message read.

“This decision was made after exhausting all available options to sustain the business, and it comes with heavy hearts as we acknowledge the impact on our valued employees, clients, and suppliers.

“The decision to take this step has not been made lightly, and it follows extensive efforts to explore alternative solutions for our financial challenges. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we have reached a point where administration is deemed necessary. Emma and Peter Barber have tried everything in their power to fund the business moving forward.

“Freight volumes are down by 10-15 percent with fewer goods being moved around as the cost-of-living bites. In short, costs are still rising faster than inflation, profits are meagre, and hauliers are saying that customers are not wanting to pay reasonable prices.

“The worst-case scenario has come true for many. Business failures are on the rise. A recent report concluded that a record number of hauliers (463) have gone bust this year – more than twice as many as last year.

“To our dedicated employees, we regret to inform you that, due to the company’s closure, there are no longer job opportunities available. We understand the challenges this poses for you, and we want to express our sincere gratitude for your hard work and commitment during your time with our family business W H Barley Transport & Storage.

“To our esteemed clients and suppliers, we deeply regret any inconvenience caused by the company’s closure. We appreciate the trust and partnership you extended to us over the years.

“This is an incredibly challenging time for everyone involved and we appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we navigate through this process,” she continued. ”We sincerely thank each and every one of you for being a part of the W H Barley community. We extend our heartfelt best wishes to all during these difficult times.”

They’re dropping like flies now.

ezydriver:

Downside of running your business on credit, expanding your fleet the quick and easy way using other peoples money. OK when times are good but when they’re not those leases and loans still need to be paid.

Conor:

ezydriver:

Downside of running your business on credit, expanding your fleet the quick and easy way using other peoples money. OK when times are good but when they’re not those leases and loans still need to be paid.

Think that is the way most (or even all ) haulage outfits are ran now.
Christ the thought of ever buying my own truck again fills me with horror, even if I was still young enough there would not be a chance in hell, I really can not see why anybody would want to these days.
I cant even see why anybody still wants to even be a driver today tbh…but that’s another argument for another day.

ezydriver:

its a strange expression isnt it?. Never seen a fly drop in my time , never mind lots of em . i have noticed i never see the Polish and Lithuanian trucks now so they cant be blamed for the droppings .Govt needs to put a cap on power and water company prices ,and enforce it . Some folk need to drop like flies starting with the whole cast of Loose Women, itd lift the countries spirits immediately if they dropped on their way home

Think"dropping like flies" is more to do with the speed at which they’ll descend onto a turd…rather than,them actually dying.

That’s the way it is now. The thinking of the new CEO is to sell everything and lease it back, they don’t want to own anything. This seems to be filtering down to the likes of us too.
The greedy people have taken over. Huge dividends to shareholders, and huge amounts of free shares given to themselves, now that’s a coincidence. The bonuses they give themselves even when a company is failing is unbelievable.
You only have to look at the company I work for, the service is embarrassing, and constant lying to the media about letters.
OFCOM found no evidence of delayed letters, even though it goes on everyday, and also being reported in the press. They are as corrupt as the company.
It’s only going to get worse as the young want everything but own nothing. The days of collective bargaining are sadly almost at an end as the young either move from job to job or expect to have the same benefits as existing Union members, but don’t want to pay for it.

fingermissing:
W H Barley have gone.

By Tim Wallace 22 December 2023

Oddly. That name is the player coach of Milton Keynes Lightning ice hockey team. Wonder if it is one and the same given the location of the company concerned?

Crazy times

Maybe more are going under now because in recent times the likes of Turners, Culina, WS, Kinaxia, EV Cargo would be snapping up these business’s as an easy way to expand. Who wants to expand in times like these, when taking care of your own and surviving seems difficult enough in itself

sweepster:
The greedy people have taken over. Huge dividends to shareholders, The bonuses they give themselves even when a company is failing is unbelievable.

Yep and us at the sharp end who actually make and generate the contents of the pot they have their snouts in, are ignored, and get ■■■■ all as a Christmas bonus from the greedy ■■■■ (s).

I lurrve the firm I work for. :laughing:
I once worked for a firm in the same scenario as now, a Southern firm based in Essex ran by a director Northern based.
He used to get his cheque for his end of year dividend, then take us out and put about 500 quid out of it behind the bar for us his drivers…cracking bloke who was a pleasure to work for…rip Jim.

The guy I work for now,.different firm in the same scenario,.I will make no comment about.

My approach so far has been to seek out a reasonable job with a decent hourly rate, sit there and drive/load/unload and not get involved in the wider business or office politics.

Interesting though, looking at the wider picture - is the HGV transport sector in decline? Why? There’s not suddenly less demand, or more trains hauling goods is there■■?

robroy:
Yep and us at the sharp end who actually make and generate the contents of the pot they have their snouts in, are ignored, and get [zb] all as a Christmas bonus from the greedy [zb] (s).

Can’t knock our guy.

Went on holiday in June with the missus, and he gave me a £100 cash to get a meal for our anniversary, and yesterday we all got £200 in cash for xmas after he had paid for breakfast at a local cafe.

Mind you, We only have 3 trucks. lol.

My boss is ok , pay roll paid next weeks pay basic this week instead of last weeks pay
He sent some F’s to the pay roll and we got the right pay as well
Just won’t get any next week because it’s already been paid

paul_c2:
My approach so far has been to seek out a reasonable job with a decent hourly rate, sit there and drive/load/unload and not get involved in the wider business or office politics.

Interesting though, looking at the wider picture - is the HGV transport sector in decline? Why? There’s not suddenly less demand, or more trains hauling goods is there■■?

No , buying stuff on never never , with increased costs and low haulage rates = bankruptcy

blue estate:

paul_c2:

No , buying stuff on never never , with increased costs and low haulage rates = bankruptcy

True. But it’s also possible that there is no respite on the horizon, but that’s based on opinion I guess. My opinion is that it’s onky Christmas that will keep us out of recession and that might not even be good enough, but come the new year people will be spent up as normal, sitting on what they have watching energy bills go up again, waiting for their remortgage to drop through maybe at an increased payment monthly or waiting for a landlord to pass on their increasd payment in rent and so on.

Basically there’s many potential things that will absorb people’s money yet to filter through and maybe firms too are thinking that and pulling the plug while they can rather than when it’s forced upon them.

Quinny:

fingermissing:
W H Barley have gone.

By Tim Wallace 22 December 2023

Oddly. That name is the player coach of Milton Keynes Lightning ice hockey team. Wonder if it is one and the same given the location of the company concerned?

Coincidence. Funny though! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

corij:

ezydriver:

its a strange expression isnt it?. Never seen a fly drop in my time , never mind lots of em . i have noticed i never see the Polish and Lithuanian trucks now so they cant be blamed for the droppings .Govt needs to put a cap on power and water company prices ,and enforce it . Some folk need to drop like flies starting with the whole cast of Loose Women, itd lift the countries spirits immediately if they dropped on their way home

Spray a fly with hair spray then watch them drop… :laughing:

robroy:

sweepster:
The greedy people have taken over. Huge dividends to shareholders, The bonuses they give themselves even when a company is failing is unbelievable.

Yep and us at the sharp end who actually make and generate the contents of the pot they have their snouts in, are ignored, and get [zb] all as a Christmas bonus from the greedy [zb] (s).

I lurrve the firm I work for. :laughing:
I once worked for a firm in the same scenario as now, a Southern firm based in Essex ran by a director Northern based.
He used to get his cheque for his end of year dividend, then take us out and put about 500 quid out of it behind the bar for us his drivers…cracking bloke who was a pleasure to work for…rip Jim.

The guy I work for now,.different firm in the same scenario,.I will make no comment about.

I once worked for a bloke who not only did not give us a Christmas bonus but docked money from our wages because we finished early on Christmas Eve. :stuck_out_tongue:

The lot I work for now gave me £330 (after stoppages so I’m not sure what the top line was until I get my payslip at the end of the month) which I thought was decent considering I’ve only been back there since September.

corij Some folk need to drop like flies starting with the whole cast of Loose Women, itd lift the countries spirits immediately if they dropped on their way home
[/quote]
, oh the shame , imagine admitting to watching loose women :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

They expanded some wile ago, but when i saw who they where subbing for i thought they knew something i didnt lol, It looks like i was right all the way along though, Never have liked that fridge work for more than one reason ■■ And its not that they keep me awake all night lol