Another Observation on Containers (Loading Scrap)

Now I am in danger of becoming a container driver pain in the arrrse her but one of the days this week I am sent to pick up a load of scrap in a twenty foot container. So off I toddle to the scrapyard and the guy says undo your twist locks driver.

Twist locks undone and he picks up the container with a big crane and stands it on its head with the doors open. He then proceeds to drop scrap into it with a very large crane grab.

When its full he drops a demolition ball into it to compact it down,then he picks it up with the doors closed, I reverse under and fasten mi twist locks . I then notice the top of the container is the same shape as my belly. Now I know my friend the reptile in Leeds Freightliner would love me to turn up with a damaged container…So I ask the foreman to get the crane driver to bash down the lid a bit :laughing: Which he did and everyone was happy :laughing: .

Has anyone else come accross this method for loadind scrap before ■■?

Yes its pretty regular in EMR in Kingsbury and Dunn Bros in Smethwick.
Normally the scrap comes through the side of the box and you have to go and get it welded back up.
Thank god i don’t have to go in those crapholes anymore now i’m off the boxes.

Yes it’s normal i go to at least two yards that lift the box off and stand it on end. One in Stockton and one in North Shields. Scrap often comes through the sides as well.
Your right Freightliner won’t accept them if they are damaged

Makes you wonder how they unload em in China or wherever it goes!! Or maybe they just melt the whole thing down, container and all?!

Olog Hai:
Makes you wonder how they unload em in China or wherever it goes!! Or maybe they just melt the whole thing down, container and all?!

Talkin to a lad who loads steel out of the yard next to ours when they get to china the whole box is just dropped in and all recyled together. Could be just talk but cant see why its not true

That’s what I was told drop the lot in

If you cant be bothered to wait around to get the splits in the box welded ,get a mash hammer and knock the sharp edges flat then get a dollop of grease of the fifth wheel and cover the split with it,to add to the effect chuck some scrap dust (usually piled up on the bumper bar on trailer)onto the grease to make it look dull and not shiny fresh grease.Even f/liner Leeds fall for this one!!!Saves hangin around for a welder!tricks of the trade!!!