Another newbie

HI all,

I’ve been lurking for a while now, there’s some great advice on here. I just thought I’d say hello as I’m going to be training shortly, with a bit of luck, so I’ll no doubt be mithering you in the not too distant future. :slight_smile:

Paul

Hello and welcome to Odd World :open_mouth:
Its very good here,lots of useful information etc,dont be afraid to ask any questions,the worst you’ll get to a silly question is a silly answer!
Seriously though,dont be afraid to ask,theres no such thing as a silly question,and theres some real good people on here!
Simon :smiley:

WOOO HOOO,
I beat Rog!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thegeordie:
WOOO HOOO,
I beat Rog!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

TWICE, what is that all about? is he ok? is he still alive?

welcome to the site derv head and if you have a question just ask, there is a fountain of knowledge on here that is just waiting to be tapped in to (not me i hasten to add)

enjoy mate

Cant give you any help mate as were in the same boat but GOOD LUCK!

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Derv Head :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING

A number of LGV instructors, myself included, are finding that the general driving standard of many trainees coming to do their LGV ‘C’ course is not at a very high standard.
I have had a number who ‘THINK’ they are good but find myself having to go ‘BACK TO BASICS’ before they can really start learning how to handle a truck.
For the trainee this means wasted time on the course and that means that the trainee is paying good money to be taught how to drive again :exclamation:

There are a number of things that a driver can do before starting their first LGV training course to improve their general driving.

The obvious ones are to practise the DSA procedures, which could mean losing the rear view mirror, and then, every time to set off, doing the mirror, mirror, blind spot routine. Checking BOTH side mirrors before moving within the lane you are in, signalling or before the increasing & decreasing of your speed.

The less obvious is to practise forward planning — the THINKING bit.

A good way of doing this is to use your brakes a lot less than what you do at present — sounds daft but think about it — to use the brakes less then you will have to ease off earlier — to ease off earlier you will have to plan ahead more.
I don’t mean by changing down through the gearbox either as that will waste fuel.
A good example would be when approaching a queue of standing traffic, which is waiting for traffic lights to change or waiting to enter a roundabout.
The moment you see the queue, check mirrors and ease off in the gear you are in. let the vehicle slow down on it’s own, dipping the clutch as necessary to control any possible stalling. If the vehicle gets to the lowest gear speed (usually first gear) then engage that gear.
If, whilst easing off, you anticipate that the traffic is going to proceed, then engage the gear that will take you with them without rushing up to the rear of the queue.
You will be leaving a large area of tarmac in front of your vehicle when you ease off early. If another vehicle goes into the gap then re-adjust to accommodate it. If you curse at the vehicle that went into your forward space then decide if a few feet of tarmac is worth getting stressed over!!

When following other traffic, do you touch your brakes when they touch theirs? — If yes, then you are too close. Back off so that you can ease off without the use of brakes. Again, this requires a good deal of forward planning, which will be very useful when you drive a truck.

The general idea is to never stop but to keep moving forward even if at a very slow pace.

If you have to use the brakes then plan to use them gradually. Start by taking up the play of the pedal then resting the weight of your foot & leg on the pedal. That is then followed by squeezing down onto the pedal and squeeze down to a depth that will do the job during the middle of your braking so that you can ease off the pedal well before you actually need to come to a stop.

thegeordie:
WOOO HOOO,

I do work sometimes :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: Hi Derv Head, WELCOME.:grimacing:

Hi there and welcome to the fold

welcome to the mad house!!

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Hi Rog, some good tips above, I’ve been reading the links from your signature for a few days, now. The gear change ones have certainly put my mind at ease, I was slightly worried about that part, but feel ok about them now. :smiley:

schrodingers cat:
Cant give you any help mate as were in the same boat but GOOD LUCK!

You too. :smiley:

Paul.

ive recently passed my class one and i can honestly say the feeling is amazing! The only advice i can give is DONT GIVE UP!

Hi guys.

Due to a change in my circumstances, I can’t really afford the training so I’ve postponed it for now. I do however, have the chance to train as a bus driver - all paid for by the bus company.

The company in question is owned by the local council and I’ve heard they are a good employer. I just wondered if any of you guys have ever done the job before? If so, is it a decent job, and would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Derv Head:
I just wondered if any of you guys have ever done the job before? If so, is it a decent job, and would you recommend it?

Hi Derv Head, I didn’t fancy driving a bus, because buses tend to carry talking freight

There are few bus drivers on here though. :smiley:

A little tip that I’ve thought of to help you is to suggest that you mention the word “bus” in the subject line when post up a question, then the right guys will see it. :wink:

dieseldave is right just as always, post a new topic about buses and thry track you down and reply. in my opinion id just do it free training on a bus is still a feather in your cap and its cost you nothing. end of the day the price is right you`d be foolish not to take it

goodluck regard

ian

Thanks guys, will do.