Another Newbie

Hi Everyone

Been on here browsing for quite a while learning all sorts of stuff: drivers hours, class 1 and 2, seeing all the arguments :slight_smile:, trying to motivate myself a bit more as it’s not a cheap option.

Sorted out all the preliminaries with medical, licence, theory test, hazard, CPC theory. Am ready, money willing, to move to the next level. Currently working on my advanced driver training (car) with an instructor. I had considered ADI training, went through the process, CRB check, registration, ADI part 1 which was easy enough, so thought I might as well continue at least to ADI part 2 driving assessment but don’t think I really am cut out for becoming an instructor. In any case part 3 has a very high failure rate. The costs are just crazy.

Pretty sure I only want to go for class 2 then find a job i like that pays, well as much as possible. :slight_smile: Class 1 not really for me. I would rather get the experience then look at what sort of skills I can add to it.

Anyway, i’ll see how things develop and throw in my two pennies worth every now and then.

Be safe.

Good luck and all the very best for the future.

Tony.

Welcome mate and good luck,

You do realise though that like myself you will never be a real man until you go class 1 ?

Thanks for encouragement.

Yes I’ve waded through all the claims and counterclaims concerning class 1 and 2. I suppose it comes down to personal choice. It’s been mentioned before, can’t remember by whom but if you can earn a wage on class 2 better than class 1 then for me makes more sense to go where the money is. Have no desire to get into tramping and sleep in the thing :slight_smile: So if I’m going to be delivering stuff to the high street (although would rather do something else to be honest) then I think I’d rather do it in a rigid than an artic.

I’d rather become a rigid expert and just learn one set of principles rather than confusing myself with another set just for the artic. I’m sure the reversing is something that comes with time but why complicate matters if I can make a good living in rigid.

Plus I already have the limp as just recently fractured my heel bone. What’s the class 1 term. Limper++ :question: Probably wrong forum for computer jokes. :smiley:

I think Dipper_Dave said: To some trucking is a lifestyle to others it’s just a job.

For me it’s the latter. If I won the lottery or £1 million on premium bonds I’d still want a class 2 just for the satisfaction of passing and it’s not wasted even if I don’t work for a living as principles are same for all rigids right down to a car. So at the very least would make me a better driver.

I didn’t bother posting it on the Class 2 vs 1 thread, but the reason a lot of us do class 1 work is purely because in most cases the work is easier/lighter, with more sitting around than actually working. I think it way Roymondo that said he was on good class 2 gig, but these are probably few and far between. Anyway, if you do decide to become a VAN driver :wink: best of luck with it! :smiley:

Thanks mate. I think I’d rather be in and out of vehicle. Need to lose some weight as well. One thing I hate more than anything else is sitting around waiting, especially when I’m waiting on over people. I’m guessing this would be more of an issue with class 1 than class 2?

hamster-whisperer:
Currently working on my advanced driver training (car) with an instructor.

Hmmm … INSTRUCTOR :question: - do you mean IAM observer or ROSPA tutor :question:

Hmmm … INSTRUCTOR :question: - do you mean IAM observer or ROSPA tutor :question:

No, actual ADI instructor. They’ve done the course so I thought they can teach me enough and maybe shell out for someone more qualified at a later date to prepare for part 2. As I don’t fancy part 3 anymore then not much point really. I’ll carry on with him for now. He was grade 6 before they changed the gradings and a Cardington Special. So he’s good enough for me :slight_smile: .

Now I will probably just do the Diamond Advanced rather than IAM or Rospa.

As a newbie class 1 driver, they aren’t all that scary. Once you’re driving, the 45ft trailer just disappears then reappears then disappears again. I do miss my van though, only have one or two pallets to come off meant I got to skip the queue, can’t do that now. I don’t get the same response when I tell them I’ve 63 pallets for them.