Another newbie gets a job

Hi guys. Some of you guys know about my road to transport work. Unfortunately I didn’t get the recovery work as some predicted. However after about 15 emails either unanswered or replied with a “no”, i decided it was time to do some footwork. Only went to 5 placed, 2 applications filled in, 2 c.vs left(one said job possible, other said no jobs) and a “look online”.

This was Thursday afternoon. Wasn’t amazingly hopeful. A removal firm said I’d probably have to start in the warehouse, which may or may not be the best way to go. A butcher’s said there was a job but would let me know.

However 6pm Thursday evening, I get s phone call from kidds transport in Caton offering an interview. I went this morning and after a long chat, I start in 2 weeks. No experience but they are happy to give me a chance.

So there we have it. Don’t just rely on internet and phone calls. Foot work definitely works best. I emailed and went into the office and both were received on the same day backed up my desire to work.

Keep going guys, there are jobs out there. Websites will say no jobs, receptionists say no, but leave the papers there and they will be seen.

Good luck!

Well done.See you on the road some time.
My cab has frilly curtains.Bull fighter spears in the windscreen.
I wear riggerboots,a lumberjack shirt with egg and gravy stains.

Well done you , always go in and see someone , tm is the best bet if you put yaself across as keen , hardworking etc they will see the potential , an email can be deleted a letter binned but they will have to speak to you face to face , good luck with the job :smiley:

It’s always brilliant to hear that a newbie has got a job. Still have to work at it, but it seems to be getting easier.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the kind comments guys!! Got loooaaads of questions which I’m guessing will be answered when the real world comes rolling towards me on the tarmac! Can’t wait to get going and then think of going for the C+E!!

For about £10,a basic kitchen timer is ideal for driving hours.Truckstops sell them or hardware shops.
Set it to 9hours or 4.30 hours driving time.
When stuck in traffic,a digital tacho adds on 2 minutes,by scrolling through the menu, it is best to confirm driving time.
Then re-set the kitchen timer again once moving on.
A good time now is to buy a Truckers Atlas with the bridge heights in it.
I would suggest not to use a car sat nav for the truck.
A truck sat nav is better.And some have TV for nights out and multi drop planning.
A clipboard to keep delivery notes tidy.Any questions,just ask.

Thanks Toby.

The firm I’m going to be working for start at 7-7.30 and expect you out on the road by 8 if possible. back in the yard for dinner(I think) after morning deliveries, then out after dinner for collections till about 4pm(ish(I think)) so I’m not sure on the need for a timer for now although somebody at the MOD4 test said the same thing and I think it’s a great idea.

I’ve a trucker Atlas from 2007 which is like a massive A3 relic, is there anything smaller? For now though, the class 2’s only cover the LA postcodes, are there truck maps specific to regions rather than the UK? Boss prefers not to use sat-navs at all and from personal experience, I hate them from the off so maps are good for me!

Not sure on the wagons I’ll be driving and whether they have manual or digi-tachos, what I’m wondering is…whilst your driving it’s in driving mode, once you enter a farm yard(for example) do you have to change it to something else or only do that when your stopped? Also, what happens if your forgetful and don’t remember to change it? Are there methods to get into where it becomes second nature? I’m not normally that forgetful but can imagine that in the first few days on my own that there will be other things on the mind…

I was speaking to a driver collecting milk one day and he said that in their company, there were on “UK hours”. I know there ARE UK hours but thought most of the time we stuck to EU hours? Whats the crack with that?

Can’t think of any more questions just now, will be back on to ask more after my last Sunday evening milking! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for all your help everyone!

toby1234abc:
Well done.See you on the road some time.
My cab has frilly curtains.Bull fighter spears in the windscreen.
I wear riggerboots,a lumberjack shirt with egg and gravy stains.

How tall are you? not Richard Hammond in disguise are ya ■■ ( Top Gear last week !!)

If possible ,have a look at the Vosa booklet on tacho hours,it is free from test centres or down load it from the tinterweb.
To remember all the rules is not easy,then there are manual entries on digital tacho machines.
If the boss said start at 6Am,and no truck is there to drive,as it is still in the garage or the night driver is not back.
You need to record the other work.
Truck is ready at 8am,so input two hours other work in the menu.
Ask somebody to help as all models are different.
The tacho start time must match up with the work records.
If there is missing gaps in the working day, it may be a problem if stopped by Vosa/Police.