Another new ride!

Managed to get this to use instead of the Merc SK i was originally given so pleased after 1 day driving class 2! :slight_smile:

this is what i was originally given!

an improvement i think:)

Did you break the first one then? :smiling_imp:

bald tyre.good man?

Not so sure about that my friend, if you are just doing local multi-drop work you might find the newer Atego a bit easier to drive with it being a bit more modern but what is it 52 reg, 5/6 yrs old?

Just think on if you end up going a bit further afield and the weathers bad, you get delayed somewhere or have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere and then you run out of hours you will be wishing you had that SK with a bunk you can sleep on!

That first picture you posted of the N reg showed what looked like a well tidy motor and unless it was really a shed and hadn’t been serviced regularly, or the previous driver had a couple of dogs living in it, I know what my choice would have been and It wouldn’t be the day cab Atego.

For the record I drove one of its predecessors the Merc 1617, brand new in 1980, same cab as the N reg one, with a medium sleeper/rest cab and a 28ft Linkliner box type body and did over 300,000kms in it in just over 2yrs and averaged 4/5 nights out a week and it was also usual to spend Saturdays & Sundays out in it.

Granted it definitely wasn’t meant for that type of regular and sustained overnights but I had removed passenger seat and put it on the drivers side, it had armrests, I then fitted a top bunk from a 1628 tractor unit that I used to have and low and behold I had a double sleeper with a full width top bunk and without the passenger seat in place it opened up the cab and proved very comfortable and actually quite liveable in.

So if you are absolutely sure, and I mean absolutely sure, that you are always going to be back in your depot every afternoon or evening then stick with your ‘newish’ ride but if there is any chance that you might get to be stuck out somewhere make sure you have got the truck with the bunk because it is something your employer won’t give a toss about. Where you get your daily rest is your responsibility and if you are taking that in a day cab it is illegal. Sleeping across the seats is no longer allowed. So as I have said unless you can be guaranteed that you will be back at the depot every afternoon or evening I would be trying to get the motor with the bunk in plus its great when youv’e got a few hours to waste, just make sure you set your alarm clock :wink:

Good luck with the job anyway but it does look like that offside tyre is a bit low on tread :wink:

Fair point to the bunk thing i didnt even think about it like that…but the inside of that SK was a shed…was lovely to drive light as anything but a shed internally…

Am doing local multidrop atm just east anglia/home counties but if needed to go long distance or chance i wouldnt be back would prob have one of the ERF six wheelers they have got with the sleeper cab

The other prob with the original merc was that it was a box van so doing local pallet drop was a nightmare especially as the rear end of the box had a double lip before you reached the taillift so getting a pallet truck over that was near on impossible had to handball most of the deliveries off whereas with a curtainsider can be forked off and the fork can reach inside :slight_smile:

Il have a look at that tyre this morning