..... Another new job

After being off the road and jobless for 4 months i was offered 2 perm jobs on the same day,one slightly better money than the other,also the better paying job 10 mins down the road from home.

Its a very old school general haulage company (est 1870 with horse and cart) even the transport office has the decor from 1969 including the oak desks and the obligatory framed photo of a spitfire on the wall . With only 3 or 4 drivers and 2 blokes in the office ,its a mixture of rigid hiab work and artic IBC chemical transportation all flat beds. I have zero experience of class 1,but because i had the right attitude and always willing to learn they are giving me a chance,they turned down two lads with decades of experience between them,i was asked at the interview if i could rope and sheet as well as tie dolly knots :open_mouth: (thats not in the DCPC !) so my point being is to never give up you will get your chance persistence is the key.

thats brill news mate congratulations wish you all the best with your new job , and the nice thing is with such a small firm you wont be just a number but part of the family :smiley:

jenx

Excellent news, Roadrunner - congratulations.

It sounds like you have found yourself an employer with some ‘people values’.

I do like to hear a bit of good news like this - gives us all heart.

Thanks
Alan

Thanks folks just trying to give all newbies a bit of hope and encouragement. I was told there are 3 things they will not put up with 1,absenteeism 2,overloading 3,running bent. “What you see is what you get all bought and payed for” , “We don’t do GPS trackers”," We don’t do digicards either", " We don’t hassle drivers with phone calls, we know how long it takes to load, tip and get to each destination, if anything un-toward happens ring in and let us worry about it". Both blokes in the office are old hands so know the score.

roadrunner:
Thanks folks just trying to give all newbies a bit of hope and encouragement. I was told there are 3 things they will not put up with 1,absenteeism 2,overloading 3,running bent. “What you see is what you get all bought and payed for” , “We don’t do GPS trackers”," We don’t do digicards either", " We don’t hassle drivers with phone calls, we know how long it takes to load, tip and get to each destination, if anything un-toward happens ring in and let us worry about it". Both blokes in the office are old hands so know the score.

Bloody hell, there can’t be too many left with that attitude - I think you have landed right on your feet there.

It’s a case of “Management by Happy Cow”. This is the principle that you look after your cows (staff) and they produce loads of high quality milk (happy customers in my case with test passes).

Glad to know that there are still employers out there who understand this simple method.

I’ve used it from Day 1 and I aint about to change now!

Contrats on the job. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

OnlyAlan:

roadrunner:

Bloody hell, there can’t be too many left with that attitude - I think you have landed right on your feet there.

Peter Smythe:
It’s a case of “Management by Happy Cow”. This is the principle that you look after your cows (staff) and they produce loads of high quality milk (happy customers in my case with test passes).

Glad to know that there are still employers out there who understand this simple method.

I’ve used it from Day 1 and I aint about to change now!

Contrats on the job. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah i didn’t think places like this existed anymore either, the transport manager looked well into his 60’s only gave up driving because of his bad knees. He went on to say 2 drivers left last year and were both back within the fortnight !! “hassled beyond belief” were there words .“If you do leave, just be decent about it you may want to come back one day like they did. !”

I think the newest truck is 04 plate all daf cf’s,no kelsa light bars or bling here. :smiley:

The hourly rate is alot more than the average around here, time and half sat, double time sunday.

Great news Roadrunner glad to see that its working out for ya :smiley: and I think the dolly knot is on here some plae like training tips :wink: but I still cant remember how to tie it without the pics :smiley:
Regards Roy

Are you now working for C****w’s?!

axletramp:
Are you now working for C****w’s?!

Yep that’s the one.