Another new book.

Yet another new book about the Middle East is now on the shelves.
“Beyond the Bosphorus” is one that several of us on here have contributed to, and a fine job has been done.
It’s author is Dave Bowers and some of us met up with him at the Gaydon middle east event last year.
I think this is the book that Nick Garlick intended to produce, but as some of us know, to be fair to Nick, he was trying to get EVERY firm, EVERY driver and EVERY destination into his planned book, but that was extremely ambitious.
This book does not mention everyone, or every firm, but does cover many firms and drivers and many aspects of the job which succeeds in giving an in depth description of what was involved, it puts together some of the tales you’ve seen on here, and a lot that you haven’t, but as we know, there’s STILL many untold stories.
I may be biased with having some inclusion in the book, but that notwithstanding, I would recommend it highly!

I am very happy to second that BB. Dave has done a truly cracking job at telling the story of the ‘others’ who did the run.
i am biased too but I would only say that those mentioned were those prepared to tell their story to the author and give the pictures that we had and that, for me, is the way it should be.
Congratulations to Dave Bowers who I hear will be at the upcoming Gaydon Show on the Old Pond stand.
David.

I ordered my copy from Old Pond today: very much looking forward to this book! Robert

A good friend of mine who is, alas, no longer with us once remarked as follows: there are two kinds of people - those who make things happen and those who wait for things to happen. How true! This book deserves to do well. Robert :smiley:

hi robert could u tell me name of book and how to get it im in canada appreciate the help .

stevejones:
hi robert could u tell me name of book and how to get it im in canada appreciate the help .

Yes mate! The book is called Beyond the Bosphorous and it’s published by Old Pond. Here’s the link:

oldpond.com/machinery/trucks … efault&p=1

Robert

tks m8 think i get this one

Just received my copy of Beyond the Bosphorous and it looks as if it’s going to be a good read. There are lots of excellent pictures, including this rather evoc one on page 235 (pictured below) with ‘COPYRIGHT UNKNOWN’ printed underneath it.

Well, I can reveal the identity of this phantom photographer: it was me! I took it through the windscreen near Istanbul on one of my Middle East trips. Not a problem - I was only too happy to see it put to good use!

Robert

These two pictures at the top of p109 were both taken by me, too. One is marked ‘copyright unknown’ and the other is attributed to Martyn Moulsdale. Again, I don’t really mind but for the record, the first pic shows the back of my lorry on the TAP-line in Saudi and the second was taken through the windscreen further down it somewhere near Niyariya. Robert

Great pics there Robert, and the trailer number made me laugh, JSLU8, looks like J SLUG! Ex Jannerites maybe? Is there a story to that? Was that one your own trailer? :wink:

bullitt:
Great pics there Robert, and the trailer number made me laugh, JSLU8, looks like J SLUG! Ex Jannerites maybe? Is there a story to that? Was that one your own trailer? :wink:

That trailer was actually JS108 and was purchased from John Smith, who had previously run it down the TIR-trail. It still had a belly tank when I did the first trip with it. I had the Uzun Arac plate riveted on for a few pence in a Turkish workshop. The douane pulled me near Calais and I asked them why they had picked me out of the crowd. ‘Because of the Turk plate!’ they replied. Needless to say, I prised the damned thing off before proceeding any further! :laughing:

As for the pictures: I hope I haven’t come over as a grumbler! It is a fantastic book and David Bowers is to be congratulated for taking on such a mammoth task and for presenting it all so well. However, I would have been proud to have had my name associated with such a good Middle-East trucking book; and attention to the detail of where the pictures came from would have ensured just that!

Cheers for now,

Robert

I am sorry that you are dissapointed Robert but poor old Dave did, I am very sure, the best that he could with the information that he had at hand.
I was able to assist him with contact to some of the drivers that I had worked with but there was one major problem. Some 4 or 5 years ago the much vaunted Nick Garlick supposedly embarked on a huge project to write the history of Middle East road transport. Many of us were very enthusiastic to help and he collected a large amount of photographs, many origional and all irreplaceable. I have heard a number of reasons for why the project never got off the ground but, unforgivably, many many photographs were never returned to their proper owners. Naturally when Dave embarked on his project this meant that several who could have been a big help, refused to do so and others had nothing left to help with.
However Dave, bless him, has still managed to produce a book that anyone who was involved can be rightly proud of.
David

David Miller:
I am sorry that you are dissapointed Robert but poor old Dave did, I am very sure, the best that he could with the information that he had at hand.
I was able to assist him with contact to some of the drivers that I had worked with but there was one major problem. Some 4 or 5 years ago the much vaunted Nick Garlick supposedly embarked on a huge project to write the history of Middle East road transport. Many of us were very enthusiastic to help and he collected a large amount of photographs, many origional and all irreplaceable. I have heard a number of reasons for why the project never got off the ground but, unforgivably, many many photographs were never returned to their proper owners. Naturally when Dave embarked on his project this meant that several who could have been a big help, refused to do so and others had nothing left to help with.
However Dave, bless him, has still managed to produce a book that anyone who was involved can be rightly proud of.
David

I recognise this account, David: it was to this project that I gave my pics in the first place! So in that sense, permission was given by me to use them (though that’s not the issue here). Hope you’re keeping well David! Perhaps I’ll catch you at Gaydon. Robert :smiley:

:exclamation: Well, I’ve just read this book from cover to cover and it really is an impressive tome! (And to hell with my petty gripes about photo acknowledgements). This is a sort of coffee-table sequel to Cola Cowboys with colour pictures and WAY more integrity. The choice and quality of contributors makes all the difference :wink: . I can strongly and warmly recommend this book to anyone remotely interested in ‘the Middle-East run’. Robert :smiley:

robert1952:
:!: Well, I’ve just read this book from cover to cover and it really is an impressive tome! (And to hell with my petty gripes about photo acknowledgements). This is a sort of coffee-table sequel to Cola Cowboys with colour pictures and WAY more integrity. The choice and quality of contributors makes all the difference :wink: . I can strongly and warmly recommend this book to anyone remotely interested in ‘the Middle-East run’. Robert :smiley:

Hi Robert,

I totally agree with you and I’m only half way through !
I just wish my old friend Gerry Whelan R.I.P. had still been around to contribute to it.

“Lorries of Arabia” next :slight_smile:

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

robert1952:
:!: Well, I’ve just read this book from cover to cover and it really is an impressive tome! (And to hell with my petty gripes about photo acknowledgements). This is a sort of coffee-table sequel to Cola Cowboys with colour pictures and WAY more integrity. The choice and quality of contributors makes all the difference :wink: . I can strongly and warmly recommend this book to anyone remotely interested in ‘the Middle-East run’. Robert :smiley:

Hi Robert,

I totally agree with you and I’m only half way through !
I just wish my old friend Gerry Whelan R.I.P. had still been around to contribute to it.

“Lorries of Arabia” next :slight_smile:

Regards
Richard

That’s the spirit! Robert :smiley:

David Miller:
David

As I said in my opening post David, I think Nick Garlick was over optimistic to try and cover ALL middle east drivers, firms, trucks loads and destinations.
Dave Bowers has just about covered all aspects of the job, but as we know, no one could recount all the tales we know are out there, and sadly many tales have now gone with our friends no longer with us.
There are inevitably some errors which those of us in the know will spot, but overall I think Dave Bowers must be congratulated on an excellent publication and as you say David, anyone involved can be rightly proud.