Another naive newbie here for advice and

Having just spoken to someone from Advantage HGV I thought I’d better do my research and found this forum.

Now that I know I’m better off with a trainer rather than a training broker (thanks to this forum!) the next question is:

IS IT REALLY WORTH ME GOING FOR THE HGV LICENCE AT THIS TIME?

The best people to ask are the people doing the job, so what do you honestly think the chances are for someone with a fresh licence to get regular work?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Slim, but right place right time and prepared to drive pretty much anything legal to get a toe in the door and who knows.

You’ve already made the first correct step to avoid brokers.

Good luck.

I second everything that Coffeeholic has said.

And yes… Avoid the brokers at all costs.

Be prepared to drive 3.5t or 7.5t to ‘prove’ yourself. Give the agencies a look once you have your test passed.

Come back here with any questions. The only stupid one is the one you didn’t ask…

Good luck.

Dean

dar1976:
Come back here with any questions. The only stupid one is the one you didn’t ask…

Careful Dean, you don’t want me dragging up some threads to prove that that old saying is sadly no longer true do you? :wink: We’ve had some right stupid questions asked on here. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:

Careful Dean, you don’t want me dragging up some threads to prove that that old saying is sadly no longer true do you? :wink: We’ve had some right stupid questions asked on here. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

But to be fair… They have kept us entertained Neil

dar1976:

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:

But to be fair… They have kept us entertained Neil

Indeed.

Hi there markgs1100!

Welcome onto the forum and it’s nice to see somebody doing a bit of snooping before paying any money out. It could save you a fair amount of money and hassle! :sunglasses:

As previously stated you are best to steer clear of any brokers. Go and visit your nearest trainer and ask questions there (especially if you can get chatting to others already on a course - what do they think about the place?)

As far as the timing goes, I would still say go for it now (if you can afford it) and at least then if you find any LGV driving jobs you like the look of in the future, you will already have the licence for it! :smiley:

All the very best with whatever you choose anyway.

if you want to get your licences badly enough u should not need to ask us should i go for it that question u know the answer to :wink: but as regarding getting work its a struggle at first as u have to prove yourself but there are many posts on here of people with the right attitude getting work , its a job that you can always fall back on so even if you dont use them licences straight away they are always there and the work will pick up eventually and im sure the noob status will not be an issue when our economy picks up and it will , we came back from the eighties and we will come back from this decade its just the circle of life :exclamation:
just dont go near the brokers and see the training company for yourself there is loads of good ones out there just make sure you do your homework

all the best and good luck

Jen x

get stuck in lad…

i got a job 2 days after passing class 2. There is work… seek and ye shall find.

good luck

Thanks for your advice and supportive comments. So what IS the STUPID question?!

I’m in SE London and I’ve seen that there’s a Scania training setup in Purfleet so I think I’ll follow the advice I’ve seen on other posts and pay them a visit to start off with. I’m currently riding a bloody scooter for Blue Arrow so I’m going to talk to them about what they could get me if I got a Cat C licence, bearing in mind that I’ve got experience of small and Transit-sized vans in London and I was a motorbike courier for most of the 1990s! Having said that I’m a lazy Satnav follower these days…

Hi markgs1100

You could do a lot worse than going to Scania in Purfleet. Dont get caught up by the fact it is a Scania main dealer offering training but the 2 trainers there, Phil Evans and Len Locke are both truly great trainers and guys. I should know I trained them both many many moons ago.

The trucks are not straight from the Scania production line but very good to learn in. Both guys techniques are superb but to be honest I would ask for Len. (sorry Phil)

If you choose Scania trucks as your provider please say I recommend them and tell them you will keep us informed of your progress. Mention John Dawson

Good Luck you are in safe hands there

markgs1100:
Thanks for your advice and supportive comments. So what IS the STUPID question?!

… It’s the one you didn’t ask and wished you had !!

dar1976:

markgs1100:

Oh now I have to know!

markgs1100:

dar1976:

markgs1100:

Oh now I have to know!

Think of question then ask simple & as STUPID as that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not easy to find work at the moment but the recession won’t last for ever, if you look on it as a long term investment then I would say it is well worth doing.