Another Load Security Question for DVSA

Pulled from DVSA twitter feed

If you transport round timber please ensure you secure it :chains:

Fortunately this HGV was stopped before the unthinkable could happen.

The load had the potential to act like an arrow if the vehicle came to an abrupt halt!

Hasn’t timber been transported like this for decades■■?

Still need few straps over the top. Bars stop the rolling out. But need few straps over the top to force the logs down. Secure them .
as dvsa states stops them coming out the back like an arrow
Plus say your going up a very steep hill logs could easily slide backwards n slide off.

Yep, been transported a bit like that for donkeys years.

Generally a strap or two are thrown over to keep everything ON the trailer.

Driver is a ■■■■ for not spending 5 minutes doing the obvious!

As above. The side bars are fine for stopping it falling out the side but there’s nothing stopping that lot going forward or backwards. Yeah they’ve been transported like that forever but with straps or ropes over the top to pull them down and stop them sliding.

Cross-loading (shorter) logs was a big issue a few decades ago, and to be fair you don’t see anyone doing it any more.

That load just needs a strap between each bolster to clamp the logs down on each other.

GasGas:
Cross-loading (shorter) logs was a big issue a few decades ago, and to be fair you don’t see anyone doing it any more.

Its a lot of years ago now but i can remember a crossload of logs landing on a minibus.my next door neighbour was one of those killed. Im not sure if that incident had anything to do with the change of loading though.

With reference to rearward movement when I tip off at the scrap yard with various items such as steel on wood and even steel on steel I can often get above 45 degrees before owt moves and then only with a shunt ,some lumps up to 6 tonne included .id like to see the dvsa try to push a trunk off the back on a gradient.

Think it was only this week a driver died in America when, possibly the pipes he was carrying went through the cab whilst braking to avoid a car I think

About 750 ton at a time on here and never strapped and not lost one or drowned any kittens either :slight_smile:

20160414_153156.jpg

edd1974:
Still need few straps over the top. Bars stop the rolling out. But need few straps over the top to force the logs down. Secure them .
as dvsa states stops them coming out the back like an arrow
Plus say your going up a very steep hill logs could easily slide backwards n slide off.

they said load could act like an arrow if vehicle came to an abrupt halt…They’re not talking about them coming out the back. There is obviously a much faster shift of energy involved in braking than moving off (it’d be some motor to go from 0-56 like it can 56-0)

hence as my tm stated when he did course to get qualified it mentioned when securing a load you’re required to counteract 100% of the load force from shifting forward but only about 60% from moving back, due to the huge difference in energy transfer. But as said all he needed was a few straps over the top and that would have done.

Interesting point about the abrupt halt part though…be it a load of steel, a load of timber, pallets or many other loads. As one of our drivers said recently when an artic shed it’s load in a crash on the m1 “you can chain and strap a load with everything you got and it’ll be fine for transport, but nothing will stop the potential of it going all over the road if the wagons in an accident”

stevieboy308:
Think it was only this week a driver died in America when, possibly the pipes he was carrying went through the cab whilst braking to avoid a car I think

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
oldie but applicable
youtube.com/watch?v=UgEDD4IGZFI

youtube.com/watch?v=ofE8x8Ap-Kk

raymundo:
About 750 ton at a time on here and never strapped and not lost one or drowned any kittens either :slight_smile:

How fast does that travel and more importantly, how quickly does it come to a stop? I’m betting not very fast and not in a couple of hundred feet from 56MPH.

Punchy Dan:
With reference to rearward movement when I tip off at the scrap yard with various items such as steel on wood and even steel on steel I can often get above 45 degrees before owt moves and then only with a shunt ,some lumps up to 6 tonne included .id like to see the dvsa try to push a trunk off the back on a gradient.

When you are tipping off, you are stationary. When you are driving along the load is bouncing up and down; at some moments it will actually be in the air with no friction at all to hold it back. That’s why we strap stuff down.

He wood probably be ok on private land, but not on a trunk road. The driver could try and log a complaint on the grounds that timber has always been transported like that, but I think he’ll be barking up the wrong tree. Nevertheless, I will admit, the DVSA load security policy stumps me!

ezydriver:
He wood probably be ok on private land, but not on a trunk road. The driver could try and log a complaint on the grounds that timber has always been transported like that, but I think he’ll be barking up the wrong tree. Nevertheless, I will admit, the DVSA load security policy stumps me!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
looks like 6 replies in 1 go there…topic closed.move along now. :smiley:

C3AEBAAD-3262-470A-AD29-6318AF35704E.jpeganyone know how this would be viewed ? ,the bucket weighs 2 tonne ,it’s further back from the headboard than 1 metre and is higher than the headboard,however it’s pulled forward and back by 4 straps all 5 tonners and hooked in a hole and over the chassis up to a cross member .

all you would need is for some cabbage from vosa to argue that its plant and requires chains…i think thats how bad its gotten nowadays with the blind leading the blind.

dieseldog999:
all you would need is for some cabbage from vosa to argue that its plant and requires chains…i think thats how bad its gotten nowadays with the blind leading the blind.

Nothing would surprise me ,but the straps are not touching the bucket and it’s steel hooked in to steel I can’t see they can say owt .

Punchy Dan:
0anyone know how this would be viewed ? ,the bucket weighs 2 tonne ,it’s further back from the headboard than 1 metre and is higher than the headboard,however it’s pulled forward and back by 4 straps all 5 tonners and hooked in a hole and over the chassis up to a cross member .

Think I might have done another looped through the bar at the top hooked to each rear corner of the trailer as not much of an angle on the straps unless the photo’s misleading it doesn’t seem.

I moved a Moffett that weighed 2.7t on an Ifor Williams flatbed behind a Land Rover recently and used straps, Both front wheels overhanging the sides of the trailer entirely and I had to stop in the gateway to Leatherhead DVSA to tie up a strap tail than was flapping about. I noticed them having a good old look but showed no interest in calling me in.