Another hours question (Sorry)

Sorry for asking what is probably the most asked question on the forum but I have a quandary and could to with a definitive answer.

I’ve looked on the net but cant make sense of what I’m seeing and this has never been an issue for me until now.

At my work, I have been alternating Saturday working with another driver. Its only 3 or 4 hours and isn’t that much of an inconvenience.
He left this week and as you can probably guess, I’ve been asked if I can do every Saturday until a replacement is found.

We never get close to our maximum driving hours as our working day is 6am - 2pm so that’s not a worry, but my manager seems to think that if I finish no later than 9am on a Saturday, then I’ll be ok having 45 hours off until the Monday morning at 6am.

I was always under the impression that a weekly rest period should fit within the fixed week of midnight Sunday to midnight the following Sunday.

This Saturday should have been done by the other driver but that is now not going to be possible.

As an extra, if there are any Class 1 drivers looking for work, my employer is based in Bingham. The hours are quite good and there are no nights out. Send me a PM and if my boss is ok with it, I’ll pass the contact details on.

Thanks guys. (And gals) :slight_smile:

He’s right.

You must have a weekly rest, this is normally 45hrs, but can be reduced to 24hrs, in any 2 consecutive weeks you must have at LEAST 1 complete weekly rest and 1 reduced weekly rest.

144hrs from the minute you start after your weekly rest until your next weekly rest is required.

There’s a few other things to add, but they don’t affect your question, so the answer is, as long as you have 45hrs off - and don’t exceed 144hrs (6x24hrs) from when you start, and you don’t break any other rules that you’ve not mentioned, then you’re fine.

If you finish at 09:00 Saturday and don’t start again until 06:00 Monday that’s 45 hours weekly rest so you could do that every week if you wanted.

A weekly rest period does not have to be completed in a fixed week, a weekly rest period that crosses over two fixed weeks (starts in one week and finishes in the next) can count for either week but not both.

Thanks for the replies folks…

Looks like your working every saturday then :laughing:

Are you sure chaps, we can legally work every Saturday, even if the weekly rest is going to be 45 hrs?
I’ve always thought we can only work every other Saturday, so if he finishes this Saturday at 9 am , he can not work next the Saturday at all.

hkloss1:
Are you sure chaps, we can legally work every Saturday, even if the weekly rest is going to be 45 hrs?
I’ve always thought we can only work every other Saturday, so if he finishes this Saturday at 9 am , he can not work next the Saturday at all.

Absolutely certain.

Most people can only work six shifts every second week but that’s only because they cannot get a 45 hour weekly rest period in after six shifts.

As long as you don’t go over 144 hours between weekly rest periods and can have a regular weekly rest period every week you can do as many shifts as you like every week.

tachograph:

hkloss1:

Absolutely certain.

Most people can only work six shifts every second week but that’s only because they cannot get a 45 hour weekly rest period in after six shifts.

As long as you don’t go over 144 hours between weekly rest periods and can have a regular weekly rest period every week you can do as many shifts as you like every week.

^This. Nothing to stop you doing every Saturday as long as you meet the weekly rest requirements and don’t go over 144 hours between the end of one weekly rest and the start of the other.

As long as you get at least 45 hours weekly rest in every second week you are legal. The OP could even work longer than 09:00 every second Saturday as he gets 16 hours daily rest each day so on the other Saturday’s instead of finishing at 09:00 he could go to 16:00. and have a 38 hour weekly rest. the 7 hours compensation is paid back on his first daily rest period.

Does this help = viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120412

Thanks for clarifying that chaps

hkloss1:

That’s what I always believed lol, and also the guy who was the other driver.

Unfortunately it’s down to me every Saturday until a replacement is found but that’s not likely to happen as its not been advertised yet!!

The Saturday is to cater for one customer only do it’s Bingham to Boston and back only. A total time of around 3.5 hours. The snag is that in the week, they have s trailer load of 26 pallets every day, sometimes twice, but as I don’t have a class one licence, they are falling short every week instead of every other with only 16 pallets.

So, if anyone fancies a cushty, if not slightly boring job, send me a message and I’ll pass out company details on to you.

100% legal to start Monday at 6am, do a weeks work, then finish at 9am Saturday every week of the year

ROG:
100% legal to start Monday at 6am, do a weeks work, then finish at 9am Saturday every week of the year

And in the OP’s case to finish much later than 09:00 every other Saturday, should he wish, and still be 100% legal…

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

And in the OP’s case to finish much later than 09:00 every other Saturday, should he wish, and still be 100% legal…

Of course but the OP would have to watch the payback

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

Of course but the OP would have to watch the payback

He has 16 hours daily rest every day. If he worked until 16:00 on a Saturday it’s paid back on his next daily rest on Monday,so no problem.

Im lucky if I finish at 2pm. It’s normally only 30 minutes to an hour after, but there are days when I could be there up to around 5pm.

There’s never the possibility of going any further than 10am on a Saturday as the agreement was that only one run would be performed, especially as I don’t hold a fork lift license and I’m the only one there lol.