Another haulage co goes bust

well here we go again yet another co goes bust.
d & g logistics of huddesfield has got the recievers in today.
they had 8 motors, 6 on contract to goldstar and 2 to drs at felixstowe/southampton
putting about 12 drivers on the dole.
i worked for d & g when i passed my class 1 in july last year, it was a great job but money was crap.
i could see the writing on the wall, thats why i left at easter.

every week some co in this industry goes to the wall.
i suppose if i didnt mention it , it would have gone un-noticed.

bloody shame.

Never heard of them and I lived in Huddersfield for 3 years. :open_mouth:

It used to be pmp rob in at hoyers.

them with the jigsaw on the side if it was saw one theres down a ditch on the 34 :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Seriously how does anyone think they can put 6 or 8 motors on Goldstar, Wincanton, Maritime and DHL without coming a cropper. If the work was that lucrative, these cash rich companies would flood the market with skellies and cheap leased vehicles.

Maybe, just maybe an owner driver can draw a wage, without having to think too hard, but rent, premises, workshops, fuel and road tax as well as accounts and drivers wages will kill it for a small company

Here’s a couple of post’s from about 12mths; ago that seem to be about the same company :question:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60940&p=740755&hilit=D+%26+G+Transport+Huddersfield#p740755
Regards
Dave Penn;

jessicas dad:

Aha. Used to work for them. Just trying to remember the name of the bloke in the office there, think he part owned PMP? Graham I think it was. Had my moments with him but he was decent enough guy and he was good enough to give me a start with 0 experience the day after I passed my class 1.

Wheel Nut:
Seriously how does anyone think they can put 6 or 8 motors on Goldstar, Wincanton, Maritime and DHL without coming a cropper. If the work was that lucrative, these cash rich companies would flood the market with skellies and cheap leased vehicles.

Maybe, just maybe an owner driver can draw a wage, without having to think too hard, but rent, premises, workshops, fuel and road tax as well as accounts and drivers wages will kill it for a small company

www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php? … rs#p842035

RobK:

jessicas dad:

Aha. Used to work for them. Just trying to remember the name of the bloke in the office there, think he part owned PMP? Graham I think it was. Had my moments with him but he was decent enough guy and he was good enough to give me a start with 0 experience the day after I passed my class 1.

yes, thats him graham lydon. he took me on too with 0 experience and he was never on your back.

Yes, it’s a shame, we read in Comical Motor about firms going bust, and 60 drivers being laid off but for every firm of that size which goes down the tube there are ten firms with half a dozen trucks which go “pop” and this never makes the news.

Having been laid off twice in the last year for the same reason I have empathy for these drivers and other employees.

I agree with wheelnut, the gaffers are deluded when they think they can sub to large container firms at £1.20 odd per mile and run 8 motors & 8 blokes wages at that and make a profit. Just a non starter really from the outset. As an owner driver, you’d struggle at that to carry on, not impossible but…

DG Logistics was started to keep drivers in Jobs when PMP wanted to downsize the Huddersfield operation but Graham didnt want to put drivers out of a job for no reason (they had the work) and the rates were decent enough as a subby whilst not to having to pay himself whilst he was employed by PMP. Then the ressession kicked in and Graham got shafted and was made redunundant and the remainder of PMP was shifted to Felixstowe and Southampton leaving him with finance on the ten vehicles and trailers he took over.

DG Had some good work for those ten units until toyota cut the production which when they started back on the containers. When costs (fuel, insurance (after a hijacking and the night man putting a wagon in a ditch (A14) righing it off), maintainance etc) rise more than the rates then this is what happens to the little guys.

Cant knock a bloke for trying to keep drivers in jobs when they dont take a wage themselves for almost 4 years so whats the point of him carrying on putting himself under the pressures of this industry.

no money it this game anymore for the small guys. too much capacity in the market means poor rates. Small firms cant get the work direct… Trust me i Know… shipping lines just want to say to the big boys… here a 200 jobs… cover them… no hassle for them, no thought involved and because of this buying power they have, they get lower rates. then before it gets to the smaller operators two pieces of the pie gone… and less for the operator who actually does the job.

Like i say… cant knock him for trying to keep drivers in a job as long as he could. Thanks Graham !

P.s… Only employed 8 drivers in the end and i believe some may have jobs sorted with the companies they were running for !

Big Rog 2010:
Like i say… cant knock him for trying to keep drivers in a job as long as he could. Thanks Graham !

P.s… Only employed 8 drivers in the end and i believe some may have jobs sorted with the companies they were running for !

Cant argue with that, and good luck to the drivers. :stuck_out_tongue: