Another dumb tacho question

This is something I can’t find a definitive answer for and not something that’s been a issue in the past because I’ve always took a 45 in one go.

So I’ve drove for 2hrs and stick it on a 15 mins break whilst waiting in queue for a tip.

I can then drive 2.5 before I need minimum half hour.

So I’ve had that half hour, 31mins to be exact and my timer has reset to 00h00.

BUT in between my 15 and 30 I drove for 2.5 hrs. So does this mean I need another 30 after my tacho is reading 2hrs . Or can I go to 4.5hrs?

Probably a simple question I should know, but I don’t…

Alfa1M:
This is something I can’t find a definitive answer for and not something that’s been a issue in the past because I’ve always took a 45 in one go.

So I’ve drove for 2hrs and stick it on a 15 mins break whilst waiting in queue for a tip.

I can then drive 2.5 before I need minimum half hour.
"Yes "

So I’ve had that half hour, 31mins to be exact and my timer has reset to 00h00.

BUT in between my 15 and 30 I drove for 2.5 hrs. So does this mean I need another 30 after my tacho is reading 2hrs . Or can I go to 4.5hrs?
"You can go to 4.5 hours or just split like before "
Probably a simple question I should know, but I don’t…

Thanks for a quick reply

I’m struggling to understand the logic tho.

As I’ve done 2.5 driving since completing a 15 break , half hour break and then 4.5 driving. So technically 7hrs driving whilst only having a 30 Min break

Am I just thinking too much into this?

Yes, I think you are. Once you have taken a full 45 minute break (either in one go or split 15 + 30 as you did) then the driving time clock is reset to zero and you can drive another full 4.5 hours without a break.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

After that 30 then yeah it’s totally reset for another 4.5 of driving.

Alfa1M:
Thanks for a quick reply

I’m struggling to understand the logic tho.

As I’ve done 2.5 driving since completing a 15 break , half hour break and then 4.5 driving. So technically 7hrs driving whilst only having a 30 Min break

Am I just thinking too much into this?

You can in fact drive for 1 minute then have a 15 min break then drive for 4.29 hrs then stop for a 30 break then drive for 4.30 hrs before needing another 45 therefore driving 8.59 hrs with only a 30 min break.

No logic involved ! A few years ago it would have been an offence to work those hours. It used to be that any/all driving periods totalling 4-30 were examined on a rolling basis, it’s now on a fixed basis. The second break of 30min resets the clock.
One minute driving 15 min break. 4-29 driving 30min break. You’re now clear to go 4-30 again.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
No logic involved ! A few years ago it would have been an offence to work those hours. It used to be that any/all driving periods totalling 4-30 were examined on a rolling basis, it’s now on a fixed basis. The second break of 30min resets the clock.
One minute driving 15 min break. 4-29 driving 30min break. You’re now clear to go 4-30 again.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Wiping the slate clean was Indeed an offence, but not everywhere in the country, the department of transport accepted it, but one or 2 police forces didn’t and drivers ended up in court and getting done for it even though they where advised by the DfT it was legal, but in the end decided to accept the police interpretation of it, it took the European Courts to decide which interpretation was right.
Maybe this is one of the reasons why DVSA have a disclaimer on the their interpretation of the drivers hours booklet, to cover them if they have it wrong. (AGAIN)

No you can’t insert your ■■■■■ into the slot…

That is the answer to the only dumb question regarding tacho’s

Every other question is proving you’re intelligent enough to ask when unsure about something that could potentially get you fined, points or even dismissed, so no, there is no such thing (other than my first example) of a dumb question. though I’m sure this special lot are gonna come back with a whole bucket load of them now just to prove me wrong… :laughing:

Reef:
so no, there is no such thing (other than my first example) of a dumb question. though I’m sure this special lot are gonna come back with a whole bucket load of them now just to prove me wrong… :laughing:

Is it OK to use my mate’s card if I forget mine once in a while?? :laughing: :laughing:

Gembo:

Reef:
so no, there is no such thing (other than my first example) of a dumb question. though I’m sure this special lot are gonna come back with a whole bucket load of them now just to prove me wrong… [emoji38]

Is it OK to use my mate’s card if I forget mine once in a while?? [emoji38] [emoji38]

No, your employer should have a “company card” which you can use in that situation.

Franglais:

From memory the definitive court case regarding wiping the slate clean v calculated over a rolling period was more than a ‘few years ago’ ?.

It’s just another part of the whole confusing,contradictory,mess of split breaks and split daily rest and extended driving time and reduced daily rest which does nothing to improve safety more like the opposite.When 12 hours unbroken minimum daily rest and 1 hour minimum break after 5.5 hours duty,with no split break/rest,or reductions,or seperate driving time limits,would fix it.

Many years ago the regs allowed you to have bre aks the other way round or even have it in 15 min segments but then someone saw the drivers having a1 min drive followed by a 30 min break followed by 4:29 driving followed by a 15 min break then a 4:30 drive so the regs were quickly changed that the 2nd break had to be a min 30 to reset the driving time.
I think that was sept 86 or 89

nick2008:
Many years ago the regs allowed you to have bre aks the other way round or even have it in 15 min segments but then someone saw the drivers having a1 min drive followed by a 30 min break followed by 4:29 driving followed by a 15 min break then a 4:30 drive so the regs were quickly changed that the 2nd break had to be a min 30 to reset the driving time.

Didn’t have to be 30 15, 25 20 was also legal.

Roymondo:

Gembo:

Reef:
so no, there is no such thing (other than my first example) of a dumb question. though I’m sure this special lot are gonna come back with a whole bucket load of them now just to prove me wrong… [emoji38]

Is it OK to use my mate’s card if I forget mine once in a while?? [emoji38] [emoji38]

No, your employer should have a “company card” which you can use in that situation.

:laughing:

weeto:

nick2008:

I know I just did a simple example , left me glasses in the car :unamused:
Them were the days with 2 or more log books :wink:

nick2008:

weeto:

nick2008:

I know I just did a simple example , left me glasses in the car :unamused:
Them were the days with 2 or more log books :wink:

Never had the logbooks, but was shown what to do with a wire by some mad heads from Barnsley :laughing:

Thanks to everyone for their input

Still seem to be learning something new every week this is of much use

Gembo:

Reef:
so no, there is no such thing (other than my first example) of a dumb question. though I’m sure this special lot are gonna come back with a whole bucket load of them now just to prove me wrong… :laughing:

Is it OK to use my mate’s card if I forget mine once in a while?? :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, as long as you don’t plan on driving commercially for the next twenty years.

Franglais:
No logic involved ! A few years ago it would have been an offence to work those hours. It used to be that any/all driving periods totalling 4-30 were examined on a rolling basis, it’s now on a fixed basis.

A few years ago? Certainly not in the 25 years I’ve been driving. The only change there has ever been is not being able to take three 15 minutes and the last break of a split 45 having to be 30 minutes.