Another cyclist nearly smegged out

I never get tired of touting how much these dash cams could potentially save peoples arse, and I really don’t understand any driver who cant justify the £26 for a perfectly reasonable one…

This happened to me end of last week, only just got around to upping the vid etc…

I don’t believe the cyclist really understands how close to death he came, wide angle lens hardly shows how close it was or indeed the bit of swerve I managed to get on, thankfully I was running very light so the swerve wasn’t an issue !!

Vid not suitable for the office or around kids, a few blues come from my mouth in a state of anger and shock quite honestly !

Original vid is light enhanced a little bit to make it a touch easier to see the bike !!!

youtube.com/watch?v=iunWBqGiR5s

I don’t know if it’s because im on the phone but i didn’t see one.

Clearly your fault. Good thinking on using the horn though. If there’s one thing that’ll keep a cyclist on his bike and not under your wheels it’s a quick blast of your horn as you pass within inches of his face at 56mph.

You didn’t go back to peel him off the rumble strips then? :unamused:

How the ■■■■ did you manage to see him? It took me a couple of views to even notice him

Bloody hell, what an idiot, I remember when I lived in Southampton I used to call at the paper shop in the morning, one winter I nearly hit 2 paper boys on their bikes messing around in the road with no lights on the bikes in dark clothing. I reported them to the shop. Next day was told " we have had a word with them ".

Difficult to see on the video, did he have lights on the bike?
Was there an alternative for him? i.e. a cycle path.
If he had lights on, and there wasn’t a cycle path…what was he supposed to do?
This might have been frightening for you, I understand that, but this might be a guy who simply has no choice in how he gets to work.

i can’t see the problem. nice wide road, hgv travelling along as normal, bike has no lights, but the bike is nicely off to the left. no chance of an accident, just a very nervous hgv driver that needs to calm down.

That’s not as bad as the one i nearly squashed near our yard in marchwood in the winter. Half 5, pitch black on a country lane with no lights. A few of the southampton lads said he’s a regular along there :open_mouth:

Yes, another classic case of truck driver not looking were he is going, then blames anyone but himself.

Well, that’s three minutes of my life that I’ll never get back.

He appears to be to the left of the white line, which you shouldn’t cross anyway… Not like he dived out infront of you.

Sounds like you were either tired or only half concentrating for it to shock you that much :smiling_imp:

I feel sorry for the cyclist, poor guy must have pooped his pants when he was blasted with the air horns!! The video was not good enough to see him clearly but I think he did have lights and he was exactly where he should be on the road.
I’m not sure what driving instructors tell newbies now but when I was learning to drive it was always “Take care when passing cyclists, overtake slowly and give them enough room to fall off”. You were overtaking too close and too fast…

You were overtaking too close and too fast…

Come on, be fair. he didn’t have a lot of time to position himself in regard to the cyclist.
IMO, ifthe cyclist had lights on and if there wasn’t any cycle path etc, then I don’t really see that anyone was at particular fault here.
Blowing the horn was a no-no, but I imagine most of us would do the same, mostly as a reaction than an intention.

He had no rear light so he appeared out of nowhere, had he had the light I would have had time to give him at least half a lane gap and probably a full lanes width, as it was he got about a metre @ 54mph, not a good show.

Must invest in that IR vision eyeball upgrade !!

Frankly there is no good reason for a cyclist to be on that section of Sleaford bypass, especially at night with no lights on in the wet on probably the busiest Hgv route in the east of the country. There is plenty of safe alternatives

Phantom Mark:
He had no rear light so he appeared out of nowhere, had he had the light I would have had time to give him at least half a lane gap and probably a full lanes width, as it was he got about a metre @ 54mph, not a good show.

Must invest in that IR vision eyeball upgrade !!

Frankly there is no good reason for a cyclist to be on that section of Sleaford bypass, especially at night with no lights on in the wet on probably the busiest Hgv route in the east of the country. There is plenty of safe alternatives

Either he was riding on a Motorway, or you were speeding :open_mouth:

Talking about a cyclist here and not about me being 4mph or less over the speed limit, less than 10% in fact.

Phantom Mark:
Talking about a cyclist here and not about me being 4mph or less over the speed limit, less than 10% in fact.

Less than 10%, more than 10%, you’re still speeding. 4mph is walking pace, so that’s how much quicker you were closing on him.

As I said, I watched the poor quality video once, noticed the cyclist, noticed he was to the left of the solid white line, wondered what the problem was tbh

You might want to have a look at the Highway Code and see what the horn is for. :wink:

There is plenty of safe alternatives

you don’t know where he was coming from or where he was going, so how can you say he had alternatives ?
Even if he did have alternatives, he still had the legal right to be using that road (light situation apart)