Another cyclist killed

A cyclist has been killed in a collision with a lorry in central London.

The woman collided with the HGV near the junction of Horseferry Road and Millbank, near Lambeth Bridge, at 09:30 BST.

The emergency services, including the air ambulance, were called but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Transport for London spokesman said it was the fifth cyclist death on the capital’s roads this year.

Road closures remain in place and police are advising motorists to avoid the area.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32233510

The “junction” is the roundabout at the bridge isn’t it?

Until the full story comes out nobody here can second guess at what happened, but busy London roundabouts are war zones most of the time between cars, trucks and cyclists.

Sad loss shouldnt happen to anyone but

Underrun bars arn’t working boris. Time to look at cyclists maybe.

It will look well on boris and TFL if the truck involved has all the equipment fitted that they want all trucks that enter London to have fitted.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
It will look well on boris and TFL if the truck involved has all the equipment fitted that they want all trucks that enter London to have fitted.

It shouldn’t take someone being killed to prove a point, but I think if this truck has all the new safety gear on it then it has to be proof to boris that more needs to be done to cyclists rather than punishing lorry drivers.

We don’t want to kill people, most of the time anyway!

Hammy747:
It shouldn’t take someone being killed to prove a point, but I think if this truck has all the new safety gear on it then it has to be proof to boris that more needs to be done to cyclists rather than punishing lorry drivers.

Thing is, you could legislate for trucks to now be fitted with a hundred different mirrors & cameras, if the driver doesn’t look at them for whatever reason they are neither use nor ornament. You are never going to be able to eliminate the bad driver & driver error.

Simply, the TfL were irresponsible promoting all this cycling on roads that aren’t fit. If they want thousands of amateur cyclists knocking about on busy highways they have to provide an infrastructure that keeps them safe; ie. proper Dutch-style segregated lanes. This is the inconvenient truth they don’t seem to want to accept.

The number of deaths is desperately inevitable & i’m surprised there aren’t even more. I’m all for getting more cyclists on the roads to cut traffic, but not this current system whereby lorry drivers are essentially expected to drive their rig through a children’s playground & there never be any incidents.

Hammy747:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

We don’t want to kill people, most of the time anyway!

Exactly that was my point. If the truck has all the gear on it then maybe it will prove to the powers that be that other factors need to be taken into account, such as cyclists who no matter what safety measures are put in place will still ride into obvious danger and an early grave just because they think they’re always in the right and never put themselves in dangerous situations. Not saying this is the case here but how many cyclist deaths in London in the past have?

Dropside tipper, no under-run

standard.co.uk/news/london/w … 64447.html

See also

standard.co.uk/news/london/l … n=ticker-2

who let that clown out on the road?

RIP Cyclist

Truck driver or cyclist, who ever is at fault, someones loved one will not be home tonight. I’ve never been to London, I have driven around Edinburgh in a truck and been in awe at some of the risks cyclists take when passing other vehicles… I can only imagine London being 10 times worse.

G6Bob:
RIP Cyclist

Truck driver or cyclist, who ever is at fault, someones loved one will not be home tonight. I’ve never been to London, I have driven around Edinburgh in a truck and been in awe at some of the risks cyclists take when passing other vehicles… I can only imagine London being 10 times worse.

The trouble in London is that a large portion of cyclists actually play by the rules, but the small percentage that don’t take some of the most harrowing risks I’ve ever witnessed. It’s almost like some of them want to be killed.

There’s also too many cyclists who think the road belongs to cyclists first then everyone else second, riding around deliberately causing a nuisance and shouting out people’s number plates who do some pretty minor things wrong.

Lost count of how many cyclists I’ve nearly hit in London, always been people riding up the inside either on a straight bit of road that gets incredibly narrow, or on turns and roundabouts.

Edit: looking at the picture from the news article, I’d guess that the lorry went to move over to the left to avoid traffic or to make an exit, didn’t see the bike and crushed it.

Roads in Ipswich aren’t nearly as lorry heavy as London, but I always hang back and out of the way of one. Unfortunately someone isn’t going home tonight, and someone else has got to live with it for the rest of their life.

Look at the distance between the tent and where the truck and bike ended up. It does not suggest it’s the usual “not seen the bike come down the inside” type of incident

its about time COI or TfL ran ads like this
don’t go the nearside of a truck it will kill you

Hammy747:
The trouble in London is that a large portion of cyclists actually play by the rules, but the small percentage that don’t take some of the most harrowing risks I’ve ever witnessed. It’s almost like some of them want to be killed.

Notice how despite watching a cyclist nearly get killed at least one idiot cyclist decides its a good idea to do the same thing.

It doesn’t matter how many mirrors or cameras you have on your truck, we’ve only got one pair of ■■■■■■■ eyes!

its a shame for the lady who lost her life and the truck driver it’ll hurt him for some time.
i must say looking at the photo,s she wasn’t short of space, did she have some kind of rear view
mirror to see things behind…she wasn’t squeezed by any means…it’ll still be the truckers fault
a bad day for everyone.

GasGas:
standard.co.uk/news/london/l … n=ticker-2

who let that clown out on the road?

A habitual criminal who happened to be driving a truck without being licenced.Which doesn’t exactly fit the description of ‘lorry driver’.

Meanwhile the law are so preoccupied with the speed issue that they aren’t bothering to sort out an obvious situation of anarchy on the roads.Which going by many cases of ridiculously low driving standards regardless of vehicle type,suggests an epidemic of inlicenced or fraudulently licenced drivers on the road.

The question then being why did the media choose to link the story with the latest incident.

Conor:

Hammy747:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjpWD6rBApo

Notice how despite watching a cyclist nearly get killed at least one idiot cyclist decides its a good idea to do the same thing.

More people need to be shown that clip to further prove that many cyclists need road awareness trIning, not just truckers.

That first bike was scary enough, but as you say, someone else just follows him down there a few seconds later. Incredible :open_mouth:

Professional coffin dodger… on a bellend scale

Hammy747 - Disagree with that statement about a large portion of cyclists play by the rules, but a small percentage that don’t take some harrowing risks…where’s your evidence to back up this up… from the 4 years lived in London cyclists where just a pain in the arse who used the roads like they owned them, I’m not surprised there are not more killed, the they way quite a lot ride in the inner London

so how many cyclist killed
how many car drivers killed
how many bus drivers killed
how many truck drivers killed

it aint difficult to work out who’s needing the protection …

ban the bike

rob22888:
this current system whereby lorry drivers are essentially expected to drive their rig through a children’s playground & there never be any incidents.

Great description. Spent 18mths in the centre of London 5 days a week and that’s spot on.