another cyclist dies.

Another cyclist dies in Manchester.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma … r-26145018

I know that road. They have laid out a very impressive looking segregated cycle lane, but vehicles have to cross it in order to reach the parking bays outside the shops. Vehicles come & go out of them bays all the time so I can hazard a guess whats happened. :frowning:

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Landcr … 97,0,6.21

rob22888:
I know that road. They have laid out a very impressive looking segregated cycle lane, but vehicles have to cross it in order to reach the parking bays outside the shops. Vehicles come & go out of them bays all the time so I can hazard a guess whats happened. :frowning:

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Landcr … 97,0,6.21

It says it was a truck and according to the signs/road markings that’s under a no loading/unloading at any time restriction.It would probably more likely to have been a typical left turn into a side road with a cyclist to the left incident.

A picture of the truck and more news

mirror.co.uk/news/cement-mix … st-3136827

Without knowing much about this particular incident, the problem in a lot of these cases does seem to be with segregated cycling lanes which funnel cyclists into dangerous positions (up the inside of trucks, for instance) and encourage them to believe they’re safe no matter what. I’d much rather see all such facilities scrapped and cyclists educated to use the road and take up their road space like any other vehicle.

Sad only 21.
I have found with these lanes the cyclist becomes complacent (nothing can touch me) forgetting that whilst in a segregated lane With a Barrier they still need to watch for turning vehicles, they focus on their lane and nothing else …
Education is the only answer and It needs to start with the people at risk.

I think it’s a two way process. I see plenty of posts on here (sadly) from people who seem to see cyclists as nothing more than an obstacle, instead of a legitimate road user going from A to B. The same sort of people who wouldn’t consider driving at someone crossing the road on foot seem to see cyclists as fair game, especially when they’re dressed in lycra (which is the most comfortable stuff to wear if you’re cycling any distance over about ten miles, by the way). This needs to change.

Rhythm Thief:
I think it’s a two way process. I see plenty of posts on here (sadly) from people who seem to see cyclists as nothing more than an obstacle, instead of a legitimate road user going from A to B. The same sort of people who wouldn’t consider driving at someone crossing the road on foot seem to see cyclists as fair game, especially when they’re dressed in lycra (which is the most comfortable stuff to wear if you’re cycling any distance over about ten miles, by the way). This needs to change.

I look at a cyclist as a toddler walking with mum on the path, a potential hazard not that they do things on purpose just not always savvy to what’s around them.
It would be interesting though to know how many near miss and actual collisions involving cyclists and pedestrians how many have EAR phones in listening to music etc …

nick2008:

Rhythm Thief:

I look at a cyclist as a toddler walking with mum on the path, a potential hazard not that they do things on purpose just not always savvy to what’s around them.
It would be interesting though to know how many near miss and actual collisions involving cyclists and pedestrians how many have EAR phones in listening to music etc …

With exception of audible horn warnings road use is all visual combined with brain power related to anticipation.There’s no law that says anyone can’t drive with closed windows and loud music or drive if they are deaf so the idea of cyclists and pedestrians using headphones or even using the road when deaf is a red herring.In this case it’s the brain power and anticipation aspects especially among vulnerable road users and especially cyclists for some reason.

Is it not strange how nearly every poster presumes the cyclist was complacent.
Maybe just maybe the cyclist did nothing wrong. :unamused:

albion1971:

Maybe just maybe they were both at fault

albion1971:

The numbers involved in the problem of left turning trucks can only mean that either there are homicidal truck drivers who turn left having just overtaken a cyclist or when there’s a cyclist on the nearside that they know about.Or those drivers just don’t care anyway in which case the accident rate concerning all road users and street furniture involving turning trucks would be even higher.

Or it’s a case that the cyclists are undertaking slowing and left turning trucks with obvious implications regarding that situation in regards to them being missed in the mirrors.

As for doing nothing wrong I could say that every time I cross a side road as a pedestrian walking to the local shops or in town in which turning traffic of all types,not just trucks,is ‘supposed’ to give way to me being that I’m crossing a road which they are turning into.However as I said brains and anticipation means that I prefer to stop look and if needed wait and let them go even though I’d be in the right if I just crossed anyway regardless. :bulb: :unamused:

I doubt any more cyclists are dying now than they were five years ago.

It’s just ‘fashionable news’ at the moment and everybody knows it’s a safe story to report right now.

Javiatrix:
I doubt any more cyclists are dying now than they were five years ago.

It’s just ‘fashionable news’ at the moment and everybody knows it’s a safe story to report right now.

Are you right in your mind? How can you call a human being getting killed as ‘fashionable news’ :imp:

Would you say that if you son or daughter had been wiped out?

Get a grip eh.

If I was on a bicycle I would make sure I was never anywhere near the inside of a HGV anwhere near a junction. It is basic survival skills, same as motorcycling, always assume a vehicle in your proximity is going to do something that may hurt you and make sure you you have a contingency plan in case it does.

098Joe:
If I was on a bicycle I would make sure I was never anywhere near the inside of a HGV anwhere near a junction. It is basic survival skills, same as motorcycling, always assume a vehicle in your proximity is going to do something that may hurt you and make sure you you have a contingency plan in case it does.

And thats the problem. You have an understanding of how a HGV drives and what the driver can and can’t see. This keeps you safe and out of trouble.
Therefore the main problem is not lack of visibility or safety warning devices that lobbyists are calling for. The problem is cyclists not understanding how other road users need to use the space around them.

Surely the onus is on the HGV driver to ensure s/he operates the vehicle in a safe manner? After all, we shouldn’t be relying on every single other road user to know exactly where an HGV’s blind spots are. Let’s face it, plenty of car drivers don’t know this, and they’ve actually passed a test!

m1cks:

098Joe:

And thats the problem. You have an understanding of how a HGV drives and what the driver can and can’t see. This keeps you safe and out of trouble.
Therefore the main problem is not lack of visibility or safety warning devices that lobbyists are calling for. The problem is cyclists not understanding how other road users need to use the space around them.

It’s probably more a case of cyclists thinking that their ‘right’ to use the road outweighs the need for defensive common sense road use and/or that the issues concerning undertaking/overtaking traffic,especially going through hazards like junctions,don’t apply to them.

Rhythm Thief:
Surely the onus is on the HGV driver to ensure s/he operates the vehicle in a safe manner? After all, we shouldn’t be relying on every single other road user to know exactly where an HGV’s blind spots are. Let’s face it, plenty of car drivers don’t know this, and they’ve actually passed a test!

The clue is that there doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem with truck v car collisions,involving turning trucks,as there is with cyclists. :bulb:

Rhythm Thief:

+1

Nice to see someone actually seeing things in reality instead of being completely biased like so many on here.