Another crash court case

How could the PC tell that the container was initially poorly loaded when it was actually led on its side when he looked at it ?..bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38923986

bald bloke:
How could the PC tell that the container was initially poorly loaded when it was actually led on its side when he looked at it ?..bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38923986

Considering the speed at which that roundabout is usually approached by traffic, I would expect speed to be a factor. Also wether he was to join the West bound carriage way, or East bound.

Going over on its side like that theres no way anyone could tell how it was loaded.
In any case its more likely just how it was being driven than anything to do with the load, it was only cardboard, even compacted its still relatively lightweight…

Anybody who knows that roundabout knows how treacherous the approach and bend are. Add into that the slip road from the ring road which joins only a few hundred yard before, and there is often a mad scramble of vehicles trying to get into the right lanes. The speed difference of the traffic coming from Bristol Centre direction, and the traffic joining from the slip road, adds to the mayhem.

As an aside, Bristol has many stupidly designed road designs and features. The M4/M5 interchange, with M5 junction 16 tagged onto it, is a case study in how to create a dangerous bottle neck. The A4174 ‘ring road’ has a roundabout every mile or so… most with traffic lights, and some even have traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing directly after the roundabout…

Disregarding the issue of how the PC can make the decision that the container was poorly loaded, it makes a nice change to see those who actually carried out the loading apparently being held to account. Hopefully this will set an important precedent.

Assuming that poor packing is the correct diagnosis, are we then saying training could have avoided the accident, or are we employing screwdrivers who need training on common sense?

Also, as this a container the driver possibly had little influence over how it’s loaded and restrained, isn’t it more down to the forkie to be responsible here? Would the driver even be allowed to be present during the loading? (I don’t know, never done containers…)

Evil8Beezle:
Assuming that poor packing is the correct diagnosis, are we then saying training could have avoided the accident, or are we employing screwdrivers who need training on common sense?

Also, as this a container the driver possibly had little influence over how it’s loaded and restrained, isn’t it more down to the forkie to be responsible here? Would the driver even be allowed to be present during the loading? (I don’t know, never done containers…)

When I used to load out of Graphic Packaging, we had to load it ourselves with an electric pump truck… not sure about containers, but as Graphic was understaffed as it was, it would expect that the driver had a hand in loading the container.

I’ve done containers, and very often the box is sealed and you have no idea how it has been loaded.

So what you do is the following…drive properly. And then you won’t have any problems.

Ian Jefferies, a forklift truck driver who worked for Graphic Packaging, loaded the container with pallets of waste cardboard.
He said the pallets were often different sizes, shapes and weights and fitting them into a container was “a bit like a jigsaw puzzle”.
Mr Jefferies said he believed he had packed them well but had received no training or guidance on loading.

Can’t add as I’m not part of the TNCSI fraternity.

I know it was 2 years ago but RIP Lorraine McKeag

I cant say about this particular case but have done a little of baled waste in the past, so can say that some types of "cardboard" can be heavy. Think of the type used for liquid containers like milk or juices. Easily get 24 ton of baled waterproof type packing in a box if loaded to roof. Guessing again, but if on opening the laid over box there were gaps along sides (now the top) of the box wouldnt that suggest there were gaps for the load to move sideways? Going around a corner a load moving just a little would make a big effect. And if it was that flat, shiny, waterproof stuff I can imagine that happening. Now imagine the bales overhanging some pallets so they cant be loaded side by side, so put one in wide ways one in long ways and you have a gap. After loading that gap would be invisible to a driver standing at the back shutting the doors. Report says "the company no longer loads pallets", so maybe it now loose loads bales and wedges them into the sides more? Again, I dont know but maybe that is one possible scenario?
Mrs McKeag was the victim of a terrible accident. Like all/most accidents the causes seem obvious afterwards.

I used to load bales of recycling cardboard or paper in boxes out of a yard at Crayford. The stuff was put in with clamp trucks there. You were not allowed to supervise the loading so the only sight of any gaps was the last row, which was probably the one the took care to do so the load looked good.

AndrewG:
Going over on its side like that theres no way anyone could tell how it was loaded.
In any case its more likely just how it was being driven than anything to do with the load, it was only cardboard, even compacted its still relatively lightweight…

you’ve obviously never had a fully loaded container of compacted cardboard on then as they weigh 42 to 44 ton all up !!!

Compacted cardboard is heavy, I’ve had to have bales taken off because I was overweight and there are always gaps, but not big ones. I think the problem was that the cardboard was on pallets and it should have been bales which the forkie can ram in so there is less chance of movement.
My first job last Monday morning was t get a 40’ HQ loaded with cardboard in Leeds and take it to Doncaster. I’ve shifted a lot of them over the years and never had a problem.

bald bloke:
How could the PC tell that the container was initially poorly loaded when it was actually led on its side when he looked at it ?

The load is all over inside the container is a guess. Been watching Highway Through Hell about a Canadian recovery firm and they put a lot of trucks on their side back on their wheels. There was one wagon and drag curtainside combo full of packs of timber on its side 30/40ft from the road. The timber hadn’t shifted at all. Even with the reefers they’ve done the stuff has usually mostly been in the same place it started the journey.