Another CPC question....

A friend of mine just completed his theory and Haz test and was told at the test centre that when he passes his LGV test he would then have 5 years to complete his CPC, this can’t be right can it?

Would be good if it did as I passed my CE end of April

Here’s hoping…

But not confidently!

Parts one and three of the test get you your licence

Parts two and four get you your Driver CPC.

You cannot do parts one and three, then acquire DCPC through doing the 35 hours training.

There’s loads of confusion about this within DSA: the management don’t seem to have told the front-line staff much about it.

Hopefully things will improve when VOSA takes over DSA.

The boss of DSA is retiring.

truckingtopics.co.uk/vosadsamerger.html

Vortexringpiece:
A friend of mine just completed his theory and Haz test and was told at the test centre that when he passes his LGV test he would then have 5 years to complete his CPC, this can’t be right can it?

Would be good if it did as I passed my CE end of April

Here’s hoping…

But not confidently!

Incorrect

Either they were already in the LGV periodic system in which case they have until 09/09/2014 to get 35 hours of periodic training in so they can continue commercial LGV driving after that date OR this is their first LGV licence in which case they need to pass LGV initial dcpc moodules 2 theory and 4 practical before they can drive LGVs commercially

After passing initial they will get a DQC then have 5 years in which to get the 35 hours periodic to cover them for the 5 years beyond the DQC expiry date

GasGas:
Parts one and three of the test get you your licence

Parts two and four get you your Driver CPC.

Hi GasGas,

IMHO, that’s a good way to think of it, but maybe it might be improved a bit by adding one word…

Parts two and four get you your initial Driver CPC.

In the same way, this is also true as you wrote it:

GasGas:
You cannot do parts one and three, then acquire DCPC through doing the 35 hours training.

However, please consider this…

You cannot do parts one and three, then acquire the periodic DCPC through doing the 35 hours training.

Then consider adding… because periodic DCPC hours cannot be uploaded to a driver’s DCPC hours account at DVLA when the driver hasn’t completed the initial DCPC (= modules 2 and 4 as you said.)

When I deal with this issue (as I will again 16 times this Monday, :unamused: ) I very often find that people don’t realise the difference between ‘initial’ and ‘periodic’ because many of them just lump the two of them together and treat them as one thing called DCPC.

I think a bigger source of confusion arises from new LGV drivers receiving their LGV driving licence when they haven’t completed module #4, not just because they can’t have their 21 periodic DCPC hours from their ADR course that they were expecting, but because I then have to point out that they’ve been driving LGVs illegally.

:bulb: Two merged organisations doesn’t necessarily mean merged thinking, but I live in the hope that just maybe it’ll happen someday…

One more thing … the dcpc refers to LGV AND PCV and not specific categories of those groups

All C categories from C1 to C+E are LGV
All D categories from D1 to D+E are PCV