Another coolbox thread

So I posted this on Facebook but would like as many answers as possible;

Does anybody have a 12v coolbox and leave it plugged in overnight? I used to with my 24v one but someone once said to me a 24v drains less power than a 12v but I think their talking bull, thoughts please

tommyboy1289:

Does anybody have a 12v coolbox and leave it plugged in overnight? I used to with my 24v one but someone once said to me a 24v drains less power than a 12v but I think their talking bull, thoughts please

It’s bollox, it’s the wattage that counts… And wattage is made up of Volts and Amps!

I leave mine plugged in overnight and it’s generally fine with a decent set of batteries in the truck.

Cold weather and my truck struggled at times to start but that’s def down to batteries near end of life! Even when I switched it of still struggles to start on very cold mornings so nothing to do with my cooler.

As for 24v drawing less than 12v, depends on design of cooler but generally yes they will.

For example let’s say the power consumption is 120w.

On a 12v cooler that’s 10A, on a 24v its 5A.

Less current draw on a 24v so more time before battery drains.

Thing is most 24v stuff costs a lot more than 12v and in a way 24v a select market, which is why most are 12v so can be directed at a wider audience.

Have a look at your trucks battery size, in amp-hours and it’s easier then to see how much drain your cooler will have overnight. If they’re anything like the ■■■■■ ones on our Dafs you couldn’t leave anything on overnight as a whiff of current and they moan next morning trying to turn over!

Evil8Beezle:

tommyboy1289:

It’s bollox, it’s the wattage that counts… And wattage is made up of Volts and Amps!

Watt ■■

raymundo:

Evil8Beezle:

tommyboy1289:

Watt ■■

Do watt? :smiley:

U know P=VI, I²R, or if you like Joules/seconds…

So contrary to what dcgpx, the only thing that matters is P (Watts)
As if you have a 24V system, yes the current draw is less, but twice the voltage is required, so battery works harder supplying the Voltage, and less on the current (Amps). And in a 12V system it’s visa versa…

The only possible variable is if a transformer is required, and this loss is pretty much negligible…

I was putting it simplistically, not going to get into depth over how circuits work. Power draw is what counts buts it accepted higher voltage is more efficient at pushing amps round than a lower voltage trying to do same work.

Anyway moot point if cooler used on knacked batteries, truck won’t start!

Simple solution … get a gas fridge :slight_smile:

compressor powered fridge shall run without problem.
and then, How were it to fit a Roomheater which heats Coolwater :question:

:arrow_right: eberspacher.com/products/fue … ating.html :bulb:

:arrow_right: webasto.com/gb/markets-produ … r-heaters/ :bulb:

lets you start easier a pre-heated Engine,even with a old Battery which may struggle starting a cold Engine,and no broken Lips and Skin due to dry Air :exclamation:

Wayhaaaay I’m only on my second single malt of the evening but I would sure like some of what immigrant is on :laughing:

raymundo:
Wayhaaaay I’m only on my second single malt of the evening but I would sure like some of what immigrant is on :laughing:

Goin ’ to have a whipround for an :smiley: Inglish dictionary for him
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bless him… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sod this technical stuff I’m going Ohm :laughing:

tommyboy1289:

Night heater will take a bigger toll on your batteries than a chill box running alt less than 1 amp all night.
Used to keep mine in a home made cradle on the back of the cab.

My mum made me a harness for mine out of luggage straps. Kept it safe as houses on the passenger seat, could even lock it to keep theiving hands off my munchies if I ever did a day on another motor. I used to keep a couple of ice packs in it, that way I could run it all day and unplug it at the end of the day, and it would keep stuff plenty cool. Saying that, I was only a day man back then, so my butties etc went in fresh every morning.