Another bridge strike

I got caught up in this one this morning, right mess! A25 Sevenoaks. see KentOnline Sevenoaks bridge strike.

Here it is:
kentonline.co.uk/sevenoaks/n … dge-17522/

No u-can’t

Might be wrong but if the crane was down fully it would have been 12ft to 12ft 6 max so there might be a drivers job somewhere :confused:

A l c:
Might be wrong but if the crane was down fully it would have been 12ft to 12ft 6 max so there might be a drivers job somewhere :confused:

Use this road all the time (8 wheel tipper) never seen a problem with a block/brick motor before so sorry to say driver error :frowning: :frowning:

A l c:

If the clamp had been in the correct position, ie clamped over the front pack of blocks it would have been 12’ 9 max. However as the net on the lorry doesn’t appear to be disturbed, it would suggest the clamp was on top of the load.

trucken:

A l c:

If the clamp had been in the correct position, ie clamped over the front pack of blocks it would have been 12’ 9 max. However as the net on the lorry doesn’t appear to be disturbed, it would suggest the clamp was on top of the load.

Looks like there was room on the bed to put the crane on the deck,if it’s on top of the blocks that puts the crane at over 15ft which I guess happened and he forgot he put it there and if the crane was central he most likely wouldn’t see it once driving to remind him it was that high :frowning:

A l c:

trucken:

A l c:

Looks like there was room on the bed to put the crane on the deck,if it’s on top of the blocks that puts the crane at over 15ft which I guess happened and he forgot he put it there and if the crane was central he most likely wouldn’t see it once driving to remind him it was that high :frowning:

That’s why you have a height indicator in the cab that the DRIVER should ADJUST. :unamused:

isn’t it about time with all the new technology out there that some sort of device can be electronically sent to the driver to tell him how high his trailer is ?

surely its not imposable to fit cabs with height detecting senors that could be shown on our dash boards ? if i had the brains to do this i would and make a killing fitting the system to trucks all over the world and if anyone reads this and makes such a device please send me some royalty’s or like the bloke who invented the internet and gave it away free i do here by give this idea away free lol

All our HIAB vehicles have an alarm in the cab which goes off if the crane is above a certain height, or the legs not properly stowed. It works by having two sensors which line up with each other.

These vehicles are fitted with an alarm which sounds if any part of the crane is out of position. To silence it the driver would have to press a button. The crane at normal travelling height measures 13’2". I measured them when they were delivered to Tarmac.

Although owned by Tarmac, these vehicles are operated by Pawson Transport of Braithwell, Rotherham.

desypete:
isn’t it about time with all the new technology out there that some sort of device can be electronically sent to the driver to tell him how high his trailer is ?

surely its not imposable to fit cabs with height detecting senors that could be shown on our dash boards ? if i had the brains to do this i would and make a killing fitting the system to trucks all over the world and if anyone reads this and makes such a device please send me some royalty’s or like the bloke who invented the internet and gave it away free i do here by give this idea away free lol

+1 at our place their is 3 trailers in the yard that have hit bridges because the drivers didn’t realise they had been made taller by a man with an angle grinder and a welder :unamused: but the 4.65m sign was left on them.

Desypete it’s a simple idea yet affective all it would need is a laser much like you see in power tools to make sure your cutting straight mount that to a clinometer with a receiver on top of the trailers headboard a bit of computer witchcraft about the angle on the clinometer and already known height of unit to give an overall height then like you say display that on an in can display or even have an led height marker that updates automatically from the computer witchcraft calculations

With regards to signs are there any requirements for councils to erect advance warning signs for low bridges ?

I went to Altrincham this week and checked my map beforehand. I noticed a 16 foot bridge on the A56 but I was only 14"2 so no problem. I was expecting to see an advance warning sign coming off the roundabout at the A556/M56 junction but there wasn’t one and I didn’t see one along the route either until I got to the bridge. That would be a wasted few miles if I was in one of our higher double deckers not to mention having to find a way to turn back.